Odd bones found in cave of WV

Cave geology, biology, and similar topics. Also visit the NSS Biology Section, or the Cave Geology and Geography Section, or the NSS Paleontology Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Odd bones found in cave of WV

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Jan 23, 2009 12:26 am

I'd respond and/or defend myself, but I just discovered 6 miles of virgin cave passage branching off the soup aisle of my local Kroger. It's filled with angel hair and saber-toothed tiger remains.
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby WVCaver2011 » Jan 23, 2009 1:41 am

xcathodex wrote:I'd respond and/or defend myself, but I just discovered 6 miles of virgin cave passage branching off the soup aisle of my local Kroger. It's filled with angel hair and saber-toothed tiger remains.

Wow, Childish!!! :rofl:
There's nothing that makes me more excited than finding a place underground that no one has ever seen or been in!

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Allen Dove
NSS #: 60861
Primary Grotto Affiliation: WVUSG

Postby ArCaver » Jan 23, 2009 5:52 am

xcathodex wrote:I'd respond and/or defend myself, but I just discovered 6 miles of virgin cave passage branching off the soup aisle of my local Kroger. It's filled with angel hair and saber-toothed tiger remains.

That's unusual. They hardly ever put the pasta close to the meat department. What's the sell by date on that cat?
ArCaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Jan 23, 2009 6:28 pm

LOL! In all seriousness we have a Manhole-style cave here next to a Wendys and Wallmart! Guess they figured the cave was better storm drain than the big concrete tubes :big grin:
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NICKSCAVE » Jan 25, 2009 2:32 pm

Hey, I'll help you draw all of the pictures . I've got plenty of chalk and crayons! :banana:
Oh Boy,we may have to blast N.S.S 54295RE
NICKSCAVE
Occasional Poster

Postby WVCaver2011 » Jan 25, 2009 7:06 pm

Have fun using your imagination!!! The cave is already mapped and is being sent to the editor of the book on caves in my area!Oh, and all the other maps that i've completed is being sent to him as well!!! Keep doing accurate measurments with your survey equipment! That's how the people who actually use the maps get around! maybe if you're willing to get yourself covered in clay from head to toe literally, then you can do a more accurate job on the cave in the future but, until then I'm doing the mapping of these caves that i'm working on the best I can. I've seen survey maps and half the time there off, missing leads, and drawn as well. So, other than the maps being to scale there's really no difference anyway. By the way there's only like 5 of you who are posting these "arguements" out of the 60 some thousand NSS members so, I wonder what that means mmmmmm..... I guess you can figure it out with a little common sense!!!

Thanks to everyone who is encouraging from the NSS and thanks to everyone who has been helping me out nicely! If your going to send a message like the one above do it in a nice way please otherwise I will end up wasting time typing another message defensive message while I could be out studying karst and finding more new caves!
There's nothing that makes me more excited than finding a place underground that no one has ever seen or been in!

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Jan 25, 2009 10:28 pm

out of the 60 some thousand NSS members so,

NSS numbers go to 60+K because numbers are not reused. A person's number is his/her number forever. However since people drop out of the NSS regularly, and of course die, our current membership is more like 11,000.

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby WVCaver2011 » Jan 25, 2009 11:02 pm

Cheryl Jones wrote:
out of the 60 some thousand NSS members so,

NSS numbers go to 60+K because numbers are not reused. A person's number is his/her number forever. However since people drop out of the NSS regularly, and of course die, our current membership is more like 11,000.

Cheryl

Thanks Cheryl,
I should have known that. I guess I just wasn't thinking straight at the time. :doh:

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Jan 26, 2009 6:48 pm

Cheryl, You should know old cavers never die they just SMELL that way! :big grin:

Actually, I strongly agree that maps based on instrument surveys are virtually always far superior to any sketch map regrdless of how good an artist the sketcher might be. Sketch maps are often useful and if thats all you can get then great. But I've seen far more bad sketches than bad surveys. That being said, hopefully your sketch maps will generate interest from others in doing a proper survey.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby WVCaver2011 » Jan 26, 2009 7:44 pm

wyandottecaver wrote:Cheryl, You should know old cavers never die they just SMELL that way! :big grin:

Actually, I strongly agree that maps based on instrument surveys are virtually always far superior to any sketch map regrdless of how good an artist the sketcher might be. Sketch maps are often useful and if thats all you can get then great. But I've seen far more bad sketches than bad surveys. That being said, hopefully your sketch maps will generate interest from others in doing a proper survey.

Yes, I have seen bad sketches as well. Of course I've seen many survey maps that were also drawn just with the scale included. I hope you're right! I would love to see the survey map of this cave because I would like to see the accurate length. Not only that but I would like for someone to take this cave further than I will! :grin:

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Jan 26, 2009 8:25 pm

there is a saying the NSS is fond of:
the difference between sport and science is good documentation.
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby Cheryl Jones » Jan 26, 2009 10:54 pm

The cave is already mapped and is being sent to the editor of the book on caves in my area!

A West VA Speleological Survey bulletin I hope!

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby WVCaver2011 » Jan 26, 2009 11:20 pm

Yep, It's going to George Dasher! So he can put it in Caves And Karst Of Pendleton County. It's an excellent book! They keep really close tabs on the caves by getting the information from those who send them documentation! :bat sticker:

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby WVCaver2011 » Jan 26, 2009 11:28 pm

xcathodex wrote:there is a saying the NSS is fond of:
the difference between sport and science is good documentation.

That saying is the key to scientific success in my opinion. There are 2 types of documentation that should be noted as you know! One is of course the map and the other is the description. It's really a shame but a lot of caves in this county have no description. Of course this cave at the very least will have an excellent description. The map may not be excellent but It will be noted in the description that this cave should be surveyed for better accuracy! That should help inform a few cavers at least. :grin:

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Speleology Forum