Since When does the NSS sell Creationist Literature?

NSS News, other caving publications, and books.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Since When does the NSS sell Creationist Literature?

Postby ArCaver » Jan 3, 2009 8:53 pm

Bill Putnam wrote:I was in a bar the other day, and this guy told me that caves were created by the Flying Spaghetti Monster, who, after creating the Universe, used His Noodly Appendage to form all the twisty little passages. I think he said that the formations were later constructed by Pirates, or something like that. He said that the NSS should sell books about the Flying Spaghetti Monster Theory of Cave Formation. They could be listed right next to Donald Davis' classic text, "The Dilation Theory of Cavern Development" so that we can "teach the controversy. "

Well there ya go, an explanation for helectites too! :banana_yay:
ArCaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby hewhocaves » Jan 4, 2009 1:01 am

Teresa wrote: The best way, in my opinion is not to advance or suppress any idea, but let the ideas themselves fight it out in the free marketplace of ideas.

If by "the free marketplace of ideas" you mean the same scientific rigors that everything else in science is put up to - then it has already been fought out. And creationism lost. Again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again... etc... etc... etc... Exactly how many times do they have to get beat before it satisfies you?

If by "the free marketplace of ideas" you mean literally that. that democracy should decide what the laws of physics should be - good luck with that. You can legislate away science all you want, and you know what will happen to science? Absolutely nothing. And if you legislate (or agree to ignore) enough science, you're likely to get a lot of innocent people killed.

Here, try this experiment at home:

Climb up to the roof. Walk to the edge. Don't stop. Firmly believe that gravity is just a product of the repressive intelligentsia.

Note: Do not actually try this at home.
The NSS and WNS: Cooperation, not confrontation.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: John Tudek
NSS #: 36021
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MonGrotto

Postby Bill Putnam » Jan 4, 2009 4:49 pm

I think that Flying Spaghetti Monster guy in the bar might 'a been one of them impressively intelligent fellas that John is talkin' 'bout. He was drinkin' "lite" beer an' all.
:big grin:

Still countin' hodags,
Bill
Bill Putnam, NSS 21117 RL/FE
Chairman and Chief Troublemaker
The Revolutionary Hodag Party - Thinking outside the cave.

The jackal can roar,
pretending to be a lion.
The lion is not fooled.
Bill Putnam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 21117
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Revolutionary Hodag Party

Postby ron_miller » Jan 4, 2009 8:07 pm

The post-FSM cave modification by pirates theory makes tons of sense. After all, why else would it be called Arrrrrrrrr-agonite? Or Dogtooth sparrrrrrrr? And of course, what are all those dripstone and flowstone speleothems made of? Why, calcium carrrrrrrrr-bonate, of course!

:big grin:
ron_miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Kevenater » Aug 14, 2009 4:06 am

A lot of this science garbage is wrong to start with....carbon dating, ha, everybody knows how inaccurate that crap is.........still called "scientific" though. You people are ridiculous with your political agendas spewing out of every hole in your body. Don't you have anything better to do? That's extremely sad! Go crawl in a hole somewhere. :roll:
Last edited by NZcaver on Aug 15, 2009 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to comply with forum TOS
KEVEN
Kevenater
Frequent Poster

Name: Keven Williams
NSS #: 46794

Postby Kevenater » Aug 14, 2009 4:36 am

"Creationism, on the other hand, is a political-religious agenda seeking to overturn fundamental freedoms and return to a society dominated by fear, religious dogma and intolerance. It misuses scientific findings to further that agenda by wrapping itself in the respectability of science while at the same time diluting and undercutting the foundations which make the scientific method the most powerful idea of the last five hundred years."

And this intolerant viewpoint is not a political-scientific agenda? Hmmmmm Speaking of intolerant, you certainly sound as intolerant as anybodies writing I've ever had the misfortune of reading! I would LOVE to go caving with you! That would be the absolute best caving trip of my life no doubt! You need to go look up the meaning of intolerant. It's a two way street by its own definition! You only believe in tolerance when it comes to your own psychotic viewpoints, anybody that see's anything differently than you, are intolerant of you. Gotta love it. :clap:
Last edited by NZcaver on Aug 15, 2009 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to comply with forum TOS
KEVEN
Kevenater
Frequent Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Aug 14, 2009 7:32 am

LOL i consider myself pretty conservative ( I bought all the remaining Bookstore stock of this book out of principle.....I mean spite) but this was a good early morning laugh of textbook (no pun intended) irony.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby mgmills » Aug 15, 2009 9:10 am

wyandottecaver wrote:LOL i consider myself pretty conservative ( I bought all the remaining Bookstore stock of this book out of principle.....I mean spite) but this was a good early morning laugh of textbook (no pun intended) irony.

I bought one of the books after the initial post. I was not impressed. It read like a grade school text book and IMHO was a rather "dry read". In several places the book. The and discussed timelines for speleothem growth/cave formation and discussed both the "mainstream" scientific methods of dating and the "creationist" method.

. . . as a moderator I'd like to mention that a couple of recent posts are getting pretty close to the edge of violating the TOS. The moderators will be closely watching this thread.
Last edited by mgmills on Aug 16, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: edited due to failure to proof read before posting.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby wyandottecaver » Aug 15, 2009 6:28 pm

it certainly was not high quality literature. But my gripe was the way the book was handled, "ohhh somebody doesn't like religious cave formation theory...lets dump it". Then again, In light of recent events I only wish this was the worst problem we faced with the leadership.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Kevenater » Aug 16, 2009 1:06 am

I guess I need to apologize for breaking the forum rules with my post. I meant what I said and I believe was right on point with everything I said, but I guess I shouldn't have said it quite the way I did. But that's just me. I don't sugar coat things. I should have just ignored the post.
KEVEN
Kevenater
Frequent Poster

Postby JesusCaverOlson » Jan 6, 2011 5:06 pm

Jesus was the best caver ever! :bat sticker:
JesusCaverOlson
Infrequent Poster

Name: Courtney Taylor Olson
NSS #: 61869

Postby Sierra Echo » Jan 6, 2011 7:49 pm

JesusCaverOlson wrote:Jesus was the best caver ever! :bat sticker:

I would agree with this as well, and further would like to point out that he was most likely born in one.
Sierra Echo
Frequent Poster

Previous

Return to Publications