1st issue of the News?

NSS News, other caving publications, and books.

Moderator: Moderators

1st issue of the News?

Postby wyandottecaver » Jan 1, 2009 3:12 pm

O.K. its not called the News yet... but can anyone verify if this is the 1st issue of what would become the News?

I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: 1st issue of the News?

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Jan 1, 2009 3:39 pm

Wow. What a find... could you give us the table of contents to it... or better yet... scan it and put it up for PDF ... it'd be nice to read something from that era... err... age... umm... you know.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby wyandottecaver » Jan 1, 2009 5:52 pm

Scanning into a PDF isn't a bad idea...I actually have about 30 in the same batch from the late 40's to late 50's era. wanna buy me a scanner? :)
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby hewhocaves » Jan 1, 2009 6:19 pm

That looks to me like the first issue of the NSS Bulletin - later the Journal of Caves and Karst. I've seen the first five or six years of the NSS News and they look more like a grotto newsletter - particuarly one from the 70s and 80s :P

By 1950, the NSS Bulletin would be at about #12. I can see #1 being in 1940.

Of course, I could be wrong. The NSS used to sell a book about its history. The answer might be in there.

Actually, I'd like to see the first decade of the Bulletin recompiled and republished for a new generation. (Issue 12, which I picked up this year has the survey of Schoolhouse Cave in it!)
The NSS and WNS: Cooperation, not confrontation.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: John Tudek
NSS #: 36021
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MonGrotto

Postby Caverdale » Jan 1, 2009 6:26 pm

wyandottecaver wrote:O.K. its not called the News yet... but can anyone verify if this is the 1st issue of what would become the News?

About 40 years ago I purchased what was advertised as reprints of Volumes I through V of the NSS Newsletter. The typewritten first page that was sent says: (All of these lines are centered on the page. I don't know how to post it that way.)

"VOLUME I, 1941-1943

NSS NEWSLETTER

of the

NATIONAL SPELEOLOGICAL SOCIETY

consists of a collection of letters, field trip announcements,
ballots, etc. issued without any volume or issue designation.
These papers are out of print and have not been reprinted
since they should have not have been considered a part of the
publication."

This is an original typewritten paper, as contrasted to printed copies for the rest of the volumes.

The next sheet is a age-darkened printed sheet (not sure of the printing process) that is headed "N. S. S. NEWSLETTER" (underscored) and dated "July 20, 1943". This is a single sheet.

The next papers are all reprints starting with "VOL. II, No. 1." dated Jan. 1944, and ending with "VOL. V. No. 12" dated December 1947. I didn't check thoroughly, but it appears that there were 12 issue per year for those 4 volumes. (The last member joining as of Dec. 1947 was Edwin C Vinther, of Georgetown, Tex., NSS #842.)

It would appear that what you have is something earlier than the 1st issue of the News. :sorry:
Dale Green
NSS 3669FE
Caverdale
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Dale Green
NSS #: 3669FE, LB
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Salt Lake Grotto

Postby Caverdale » Jan 1, 2009 6:44 pm

hewhocaves wrote:That looks to me like the first issue of the NSS Bulletin - later the Journal of Caves and Karst. I've seen the first five or six years of the NSS News and they look more like a grotto newsletter - particuarly one from the 70s and 80s :P

By 1950, the NSS Bulletin would be at about #12. I can see #1 being in 1940.

Of course, I could be wrong. The NSS used to sell a book about its history. The answer might be in there.

Actually, I'd like to see the first decade of the Bulletin recompiled and republished for a new generation. (Issue 12, which I picked up this year has the survey of Schoolhouse Cave in it!)

I should have reviewed my library before posting the message above about the first issue of the NSS Newsletter. What you have is indeed the first issue of the NSS Bulletin. I have an identical copy to the one illustrated, which was purchased as a reprint of the original, along with reprints of Vols. II through V. For some reason I am unable to lay my hands on Vol. II right now, but Vol. III is labeled "Number 3 BULLETIN OF THE NATIONAL SPELEOLOGICAL SOCIETY" rather than the Speleological Society of the District of Columbia.
Dale Green
NSS 3669FE
Caverdale
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Jan 1, 2009 6:48 pm

Edited, looks like we cross posted. So now I just need to see if it seems to be an original or reprint...

Final Edit. It is in fact the 1st Bulletin, published in June 1940 about a year after the DC grotto organized in May of 1939. They then founded the current NSS in Jan 1941. Wikipedia has the table of contents for all the Bulletins and some abstracts of the articles. While not the 1st News per se, it seems to be the first official publication of what would become the NSS. Neat.
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Caverdale » Jan 1, 2009 8:37 pm

wyandottecaver wrote:Edited, looks like we cross posted. So now I just need to see if it seems to be an original or reprint...

On the inside cover of mine, at the bottom, is "First printing 350 - 1940: Second printing 700 -1955". Since I bought mine about 1960 it is almost certainly a copy of the second printing, since there is no way they sold 700 copies in 5 years. Number 3 says 500 copies were printed in Jan 1942 but has no other information. Number 4 has a tag on the cover, "REPRINT $1.00". Inside it says that 500 copies were printed in Sept 1942. Number 5, printed Oct. 1943, is clearly a reprint since it has a copy of a personal stamp of J.S. Petrie on the cover. To the best of my recollection these were purchased very soon after attending the Carlsbad Caverns Convention in 1960 and they were all advertised as reprints.
Dale Green
NSS 3669FE
Caverdale
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Jan 1, 2009 8:57 pm

Dale, Thanks! I will check mine when I get home. Still, I wonder how many total copies have survived. I assume at least 1 complete set of the Bulletin exists since Wikipedia has the table of contents for all of them.
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby hewhocaves » Jan 1, 2009 10:09 pm

I'm sure quite a few people have complete sets of the Bulletin - at least the NSS Library ought to have a complete set. Jeanne Gurnee had a bound collection of early NSS Newses (like the first ten years or so). They were really nice.

:) and it's nice to get something right once in awhile lol.
The NSS and WNS: Cooperation, not confrontation.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: John Tudek
NSS #: 36021
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MonGrotto

Postby wyandottecaver » Jan 1, 2009 10:25 pm

O.K. mine is a second original printing (not photocopied) with typewritten pages. I then have a gap and next ones are # 6 and #7 Another gap and I then have volumes 10-32 with some volumes having multiple seperately printed parts. I then have all the NSS News from Jan 48' (Vol 6 #1) to December 53' (Vol 11 #12) including seperately typed annual indexes. Finally, a 1956 Speleodigest.
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Jan 3, 2009 9:35 pm

O.K. its not called the News yet... but can anyone verify if this is the 1st issue of what would become the News?

NSS Librarian Bill Torode is the person to ask questions such as this. btorode at caves dot org

Table of Contents of Vol 1: http://www.caves.org/pub/journal/NSS_Bu ... ume_01.htm
The TOC of each Bulletin is here http://www.caves.org/pub/journal/NSS_Bulletin.htm.

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby wyandottecaver » Jan 5, 2009 5:20 pm

Cheryl,

Thanks. Yes I (with help from posters) had already determined it is a 2nd printing of the 1st Bulletin. BTW the TOC of all the bulletins are also on Wikipedia :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Jan 13, 2009 9:03 am

wow that cost $2.50??? That would be $25+ in todays money!
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby George Dasher » Jan 14, 2009 9:23 pm

That's not only the first issue of the Bulletin, but the caver in the lower left hand corner became the NSS logo.

:kewl:
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Next

Return to Publications