Pothunter Dies In Kentucky Cave

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Pothunter Dies In Kentucky Cave

Postby Teresa » Dec 22, 2008 10:16 am

Larry E. Matthews wrote:I think it is very irresponsible to suggest that someone should or could be sued for calling someone a "pothunter". Are you going to sue someone for calling you a "spelunker"?

You have made the erroneous assumption that the word "pothunter" is somehow derogatory. That word has been around my entire life and merely refers to someone who is not a professional archaeologist and who digs up Indian artifacts.

This may be one of those cases where the context may be regional in nature. I have never heard anyone called a pothunter in anything but a derogatory manner where I'm at. Amateur archaeologists, or artifact collectors who do so in a responsible manner are called one of those terms, at least in print around here. I also assume that anyone who calls me a spelunker is merely ignorant, but trying to do the right thing, not malicious.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Evan G » Dec 22, 2008 11:00 am

Larry E. Matthews wrote:I think it is very irresponsible to suggest that someone should or could be sued for calling someone a "pothunter". Are you going to sue someone for calling you a "spelunker"?

You have made the erroneous assumption that the word "pothunter" is somehow derogatory. That word has been around my entire life and merely refers to someone who is not a professional archaeologist and who digs up Indian artifacts.

I guess next we will have people suing because somebody called them a "redneck", or God-knows what else.

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F

In legal speak it is called defamation of character. People have been sued because of a hot cup of coffee (Stella Liebeck vs McDonalds) let alone the usage of "Redneck". Why do think the America become so PC all of a sudden. Around here you find that the usage of the term "redneck" is rarely used because it offends. Never call a Cowboy a Redneck, very bad idea.

BTW- Have you ever heard of a redneck lottery: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... %20lottery

Personally I have never heard of the term "pothunter" until this, I could of easily assume it is a person that hunts wild cannibis(sp?). Actually, I did.
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Dec 22, 2008 1:08 pm

Well if you go to Websters New Collegiate Dictonary, it gives the following definition:

pothunter - n. An amateur archaeologist.

That is exactly how this person has been described in the news media.

This copy of Websters New Collegiate Dictionary that I have here at work is Copyright 1977 by G. & C. Merriam Co.

Pothunter is a perfectly legitimate and non-derogatory word, according to the dictionary. If you were not familiar with this word, perhaps you should have consulted your dictionary.

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6792
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby Andy » Dec 22, 2008 1:24 pm

spe·lunk·er
Pronunciation: \spi-ˈləŋ-kər, ˈspē-ˌ\
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin spelunca cave, from Greek spēlynx; akin to Greek spēlaion cave
Date: 1942
: one who makes a hobby of exploring and studying caves
Andy
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 29094 FL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dayton Underground Grotto

Postby Evan G » Dec 22, 2008 1:28 pm

Larry E. Matthews wrote:Well if you go to Websters New Collegiate Dictonary, it gives the following definition:

pothunter - n. An amateur archaeologist.

That is exactly how this person has been described in the news media.

This copy of Websters New Collegiate Dictionary that I have here at work is Copyright 1977 by G. & C. Merriam Co.

Pothunter is a perfectly legitimate and non-derogatory word, according to the dictionary. If you were not familiar with this word, perhaps you should have consulted your dictionary.

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F

Interesting..... :punch:

From the dictionary: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pothunter

pot·hunt·er (pthntr)
n.
1. One who hunts game for food, ignoring the rules of sport.
2. One who participates in contests simply to win prizes.
3. A person who seeks artifacts from past civilizations for personal use, sometimes by illegal means, without adhering to professional standards of archeology.

:bat sticker:

From the dictionary: http://www.yourdictionary.com/pothunter

pothunter Definition

pot·hunter (pät′hun′tər)

noun

1. a hunter who kills game indiscriminately, disregarding the rules of sport
2. a person who enters contests merely to win prizes
3. Informal an amateur archaeologist

From: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pothunter#dict_header

pot⋅hunt⋅er
   /ˈpɒtˌhʌntər/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [pot-huhn-ter] Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. a person who hunts for food or profit, ignoring the rules of sport.
2. a person who takes part in contests merely to win prizes.
Origin:
1585–95; pot 1 + hunter
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

Maybe your dictionary needs updating............
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby l lambert » Dec 22, 2008 4:03 pm

"Around here you find that the usage of the term "redneck" is rarely used because it offends."

Perhaps a yankee thing? :yikes: Leo (local redneck,hillbilly,cracker caver)
l lambert
Prolific Poster

Postby Evan G » Dec 22, 2008 4:12 pm

LOL, I'm not a Yankee but westerner, it would be like call you an easterner and not a southern. I live in the mountains and Wyoming was a part of the Louisiana Purchase (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_Purchase). My state was created after the civil war.
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby mgmills » Dec 22, 2008 7:55 pm

l lambert wrote:"Around here you find that the usage of the term "redneck" is rarely used because it offends."

Around here (T.A.G.) where I live people have bumper stickers and even car tags (here in T.A.G. cars only have rear license plates) proclaiming themselves to be rednecks. I have a tee-shirt that proclaims me to be a Redneck Woman.

I think as with a lot of "labels" it isn't the actual word that is the problem but the context in which the word is used.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Squirrel Girl » Dec 22, 2008 8:03 pm

mgmills wrote:I think as with a lot of "labels" it isn't the actual word that is the problem but the context in which the word is used.

:yeah that:

Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby tiffanynfwb25 » Apr 7, 2011 6:30 pm

I know this thread is a couple years old.. but I was just going thru some old photos and came across one of Devin's.
Devin was a very close friend of my families. Him and his girlfriend were roommates of ours for years.
Devin was the one of the most caring and fun guys I have ever met. He just had a great personality and would do anything for anyone.
Yes his passion was collecting arrowheads.. He had a huge collection that he usually collected among river banks and such.
After the family moved away, must have been when Devin decided to be more adventurous and dig trenches.
This unfortunate decision took his life at a young age. So before anyone goes on to bash or criticize Devin, remember this.
Devin never was one to break the law. I'm not sure what led him to do things like dig trenches.. but he was very passionate about his hobby.
Devin was in construction so he knew about the pros and cons of the walls hold up and the way mother nature can interfere with your work.
He leaves behind a teenage son, who will remember his father as this fun-loving person that we all knew and loved. He will not be forgotten.
Devin Peters we love you!!!!!
Sincerely, Your Muffin ~Tiffany
tiffanynfwb25
New Poster

Postby ewahman » Jun 11, 2015 2:27 pm

I know this is an old post, but I am looking for Glover's Cave. I spent many days exploring this cave when I very small and would love to go back to see it. I see that many people have mentioned it here.
ewahman
New Poster

Previous

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum