Criminal Complaint Filed for Cow Vandalism

Questions, techniques, gear, safety. Also visit the NSS Cave Diving Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Criminal Complaint Filed for Cow Vandalism

Postby ken hill » Dec 18, 2008 10:32 am

Yesterday I forwarded a statement to the State Attorney concerning the matter of the damage to the clay bank within the Cow Springs system last November. Last week Kelly Jessop, the CDS Chairman, filed a complaint with Suwannee County Sheriff's office and the State Attorney for the Judicial District issued a warrant for the arrest of the named individual.

In the past days the individual named in the warrant has emailed me and has emailed a statement that admits and accepts full responsibility for the damage. His statement expresses regret and remorse for his actions. This statement is the one forwarded to the State Attorney. I believe the individual to be truthful. His remarks are consistent with the details of the investigation. It is my strongest wish that the cave community let the parties work out an appropriate arrangement and an agreeable punishment with an aim of resolving the matter. Hopefully its outcome will be a deterrent to any future willful damage of an underwater cave.

It may be noted that this case is believed to be the first prosecution of damage to an underwater cave where the evidence is beyond the scope of law enforcement forensics and observation. We need to do this by the book and let the system work. The person responsible for the damage is a resident and citizen of Brazil and I will say nothing further to identify the individual since it is not in the best interest of the case at this time to publicly identify the accused. If you should learn who it is keep it to yourself.

In the effort to resolve this matter I have come to know, trust and respect the word of many of our Brazilian colleagues. Their help was invaluable. They are fine people; cave divers who do not deserve to have their reputations tarnished for the actions of a few.

I would like to thank the Training heads and administrators of the NSS-CDS and NACD for their assistance in looking up records. I would also like to thank the many people who emailed and called me with tips and investigative leads. Particular gratitude needs to be directed to the States Attorney and Suwannee County Sheriff. I would ask the CDS Board prepare a formal commendation for their proactive approach and diligence in applying the law to this matter.

Lastly, DIC, RT, Pulga, your case remains open but trust me I know who you are! I can't prove it to a legal standard (yet) but time will eventually reveal the truth. I have an email, so there's no time like the present to wrap this up, it'll go easier on you.

Regards
/Ken Hill
ken hill
Occasional Poster

Re: Criminal Complaint Filed for Cow Vandalism

Postby batrotter » Dec 18, 2008 10:42 am

Do you have any more background on this matter for the uninformed?
batrotter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce Trotter
NSS #: 27849RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Cave Survey

Postby ken hill » Dec 18, 2008 4:30 pm

The details are in another forums thread

http://www.cavediver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8938
ken hill
Occasional Poster

Postby NZcaver » Dec 18, 2008 5:55 pm

Just wondering... how effective will it be to issue an arrest warrant in Florida when the alleged perpetrator lives in Brazil? Or is the goal simply to stop that person returning to Florida?

It's sad to hear about caves being vandalized, but at least local law enforcement took the investigation seriously. That doesn't always happen.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Lost » Dec 18, 2008 8:52 pm

Again I say "Off with his head"
Lost
Prolific Poster

Return to Cave Diving Forum