Cave Lock

Cave conservation issues, techniques, questions. Also visit the NSS Cave Conservation and Management Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Cave Lock

Postby Dangerjudy » Nov 7, 2008 10:30 am

What is the best key lock you've found to use on a cave gate?
Birmingham Grotto, NSS 49720. "I reserve the right to be ridiculous." bono
Dangerjudy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 49720
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham Grotto

Re: Cave Lock

Postby YuccaPatrol » Nov 7, 2008 11:38 am

If you are concerned that the lock will be vandalized, I'd go with something with a shrouded shackle like this:

http://www.masterlocks.com/item.asp?CID=3055

If it were my cave and my gate, and the cave was one which I could access easily for maintenance, I would probably choose a brass lock with changeable combination such as this:

http://www.masterlocks.com/item.asp?CID=1468

I'd rather be able to change the combination as necessary and not have to manage a set of loaner keys.
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Andrew Mobley
NSS #: 58447
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Postby wyandottecaver » Nov 7, 2008 6:34 pm

It depends on your application. As yucca said, if vandalisim is a issue a armoured shackle is good. However, in general the cave gate itself should be designed such that the lock sits in a "box" with an open bottom (or some similiar equivilent). This reduces shackle attacks and also helps with weather. The main problem you will likely have will be with grit, corrosion, ice ect. A custom plastic cover made for many brands of locks and which covers the keyway is a godsend.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Nov 8, 2008 5:07 pm

I've asked around with several welders and they all agree that a stainless steel lock is probably the hardest to cut through, but even a simple brass lock is good as long as the cover prevents a bolt cutter (any size) from getting in and opening wide enough to be grabbing the hasp or a prybar to get any leverage and a butane torch would make it too hot to make it safe to hold for long.
How the lock is protected I think is more important than the lock itself. The boxes where a caver has to stick nearly a 1/4 or even 1/2 of their forearm in to reach the keyhole of the lock itself (one handed) are what I found to be best so far. Master Lock brands so far have upheld their reputation.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby cavercrew » Nov 9, 2008 1:12 pm

cavercrew
Frequent Poster

Name: Mike Hopkins
NSS #: 53727
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pigeon Mountain Grotto

Cave Lock

Postby Ernie Coffman » Nov 9, 2008 11:33 pm

We've found that an American Lock, which is stainless steel and has a tubular key is the safest lock to have. Plus, as Ralph has indicated above, put it inside a highly tough steel box where you have to reach into it, especially if the reach is up and turned about 45 degrees, like a candy cane shape. Vandals have broken our heavy duty chain, but have never gotten by the American Lock. :shhh: Read the description in Google. The tubular key is very difficult to get past--In fact, probably not possible!
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Conservation Forum