Cave for Sale in Arkansas

Buy or sell cave gear, speleo-publications.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Ernie Coffman » Nov 4, 2008 11:49 am

What a dream to own your own cave and work with folks that want to explore it. :woohoo: Anyway, down in Arkansas, there's a cave up for bid on eBay, of all places, and you might be interested. The price is down to the high $800K from his $1.2K originally desired. Here's the link for the story: http://ap.google.com:80/article/ALeqM5j ... wD947QJ5G0 And, then of course, go to eBay and see how the bidding is doing. :shrug:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Cave for Sale in Arkansas

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Nov 4, 2008 12:50 pm

(a) why does having an admittedly failing business on your property make your property worth 3x what it should go for? is someone supposed to pay a high premium so they, too, can own a financially unsustainable show cave?

(b) those are the best photos he could come up with? really?
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby ArCaver » Nov 4, 2008 6:52 pm

xcathodex wrote:(a) why does having an admittedly failing business on your property make your property worth 3x what it should go for? is someone supposed to pay a high premium so they, too, can own a financially unsustainable show cave?

(b) those are the best photos he could come up with? really?

His numbers may be down but I wouldn't call it a failing business exactly. Tourism has taken a hit across the board but Steve still has three very nice caves, two of them developed and attracting paying visitors. There is good potential for an adventure tour in one and I feel a strong possibility of extension in two of the caves. He and his wife have worked hard to develop a quality product and establish a customer base. I think you have to like caves to be in the business. It's not something to get rich on but the right person(s) could make a comfortable living.
If Boone County ever votes wet everyone in the county stands to enjoy a surge in business, considering its proximity to Branson, MO.
ArCaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Nov 4, 2008 7:29 pm

ArCaver wrote:strong possibility of extension in two of the caves.

Now you're talking my language. Let's go!

:bananabat:
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby SpeleoRover » Nov 4, 2008 7:43 pm

ArCaver wrote:If Boone County ever votes wet everyone in the county stands to enjoy a surge in business, considering its proximity to Branson, MO.

Yes but if Boone Co ever goes wet the surrounding counties will suffer huge economic hits... LOL.

I grew up not 20 minutes from this cave in Boone Co - and I've never been there. It has been up for sale more than once before now, I think.
Regards,

Jason
Boston Mt. Grotto
NSS#: 58276
SpeleoRover
Prolific Poster

Postby Ernie Coffman » Nov 4, 2008 8:38 pm

Yeah, Jason, like twenty years ago--For sure! Unless you're referring to some time between when they purchased the property and now. :rofl:

Boston Grotto is pretty neat place to be from. If I recall, you've had a pretty neat cave geologist from there, who instructs at national conventions, now and then??? :roll:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby SpeleoRover » Nov 7, 2008 11:22 pm

Hey Ernie... You mean Dr. Van Brahana?
Regards,

Jason
Boston Mt. Grotto
SpeleoRover
Prolific Poster

Postby Ernie Coffman » Nov 8, 2008 12:14 am

I believe it was more like George Veni, but who now lives in New Mexico...if I'm not mistaken.
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby SpeleoRover » Nov 9, 2008 10:56 pm

Doesn't ring a bell. Do you have Boston Grotto and Boston Mountain Grotto mixed up?

BMG is in Arkansas. Good ol' Ozarks karst country.
Regards,

Jason
Boston Mt. Grotto
SpeleoRover
Prolific Poster

Postby Ernie Coffman » Nov 9, 2008 11:15 pm

That's very possible, Jason. I do know that George is quite involved with the NSS Convention next year, in Texas, so...maybe when we're down there, we'll find out for sure. I know Buck Cobb used to be in the same area, as he's the one that introduced me...back a few years or so ago. :shrug:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Nov 10, 2008 10:29 am

Wait, how did this conversation drift away from the tantalizing "strong possibility for extension?" :banana:
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby SpeleoRover » Nov 10, 2008 9:32 pm

Sorry Jeff... If you really want a hairy OT session I'll ask you about mapping. :woohoo:
Regards,

Jason
Boston Mt. Grotto
SpeleoRover
Prolific Poster

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Nov 10, 2008 10:49 pm

SpeleoRover wrote:Sorry Jeff... If you really want a hairy OT session I'll ask you about mapping. :woohoo:

anytime, man, you've got my email. but we should still talk to the owner of this cave about extending it for him!
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Speleo-Marketplace