Winning NSS Salon Images Now on the Web!

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

Winning NSS Salon Images Now on the Web!

Postby Cheryl Jones » Sep 6, 2008 10:30 am

The winning images and snippets from winning videos from the NSS Salons (held at Convention) are now up on caves.org. :camera: Go here (or NSS home page/Caver art and music) and click "photo salon" and "video salon." At the bottom of the pages, click "recent winners."

The videos should be in the NSS AV Library soon.

Congratulations to all the winners, and in fact to all those whose images and videos were accepted for show, for that in itself is an award. :clap:

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Re: Winning NSS Salon Images Now on the Web!

Postby YuccaPatrol » Sep 7, 2008 9:53 pm

Great images. They give me something to strive for! :kewl:

I'm not quite there yet, but who knows. . . . maybe I'll have something worth showing off next year? :bananabat:
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Andrew Mobley
NSS #: 58447
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Postby wyandottecaver » Sep 8, 2008 6:12 pm

The first two honorable mentions were fantastic. I liked the medal winner too but there are soooo many pictures of formations that I really liked the blue vortex and tannic rainbows!
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Sep 9, 2008 10:20 am

wyandottecaver wrote:The first two honorable mentions were fantastic. I liked the medal winner too but there are soooo many pictures of formations that I really liked the blue vortex and tannic rainbows!

There does seem to be a trend that changes preferring action photos and color more than static shots of pretties. The cover of the recent NSS Manual was chosen for that reason.
All in all they were all great photos.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby NZcaver » Sep 9, 2008 12:32 pm

Cheryl Jones wrote:Go here (or NSS home page/Caver art and music) and click "photo salon" and "video salon."

Don't forget the print salon too!

Ralph makes a good point about shifting trends in the balance of action shots and pretty shots. I've often found it can be tough to capture a spontaneous (or spontaneous-looking) person-in-action shot that is still suitably well-composed and does not have parts of the frame under or over exposed. But as seen in some of the salon examples, when it's done right the results can be stunning.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Todd » Sep 10, 2008 11:56 am

Cheryl Jones wrote:Go here (or NSS home page/Caver art and music) and click "photo salon" and "video salon." At the bottom of the pages, click "recent winners."

I get the 2008 Video Salon winners, but for Photo Salon and Print Salon, I'm still seeing the 2007 winners...
Do the videos play badly for anyone else or is it just the computer I'm on at work? The audio for all that I've tried sounds like an old movie projector that's lost it's loop. (Y-Yo-ou-u kn-no-ow, l-li-ik-ke th-hi-is wi-it-th lo-ot-os o-f cl-li-ic-ck-ki-in-ng !)
Todd
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 48351

Postby Scott McCrea » Sep 10, 2008 12:18 pm

I was confused by the 2007 images too. Finally, I noticed that the ribbon, on the right side, says "recent winners". Click the ribbon to see the 2008 images.

The videos play fine here.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Cheryl Jones » Sep 10, 2008 12:38 pm

Wups, I should have said click on the Big Blue Ribbon on the right. :doh: :doh:

Thanks Scott for alerting everyone.

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Postby Todd » Sep 10, 2008 1:49 pm

Ah, now I see. I glanced right over the ribbon looking for the "recent winners" button and didn't bother to read it! I still only get the 2007 print salon regardless of which link I click. Will they be up with the scoring eventually?
Don't know why the audio for the videos sounds bad for me. I'll have to try those again when I get home.
-Todd
Todd
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 48351

Postby Cheryl Jones » Sep 11, 2008 11:36 am

I still only get the 2007 print salon regardless of which link I click. Will they be up with the scoring eventually?

Eventually! Only the Photo ("slide") and Video Salons (and Cave Ballads) winners for 2008 are up. :popcorn: You could always drop a note to the remaining Salon chairmen to let them know you're eagerly awaiting the 2008 results. :cofee:

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Postby Cheryl Jones » Sep 14, 2008 4:22 pm

The winning images for the 2008 Cartographic and newsletter Cover Art Salons are now posted. :clap: Go to the Cave Art and Music (Salons) page http://www.caves.org/committee/salons/ and click the appropriate salon.

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Postby Cheryl Jones » Sep 22, 2008 9:20 pm

0K, the Print Salon winners are now up on the Salons Web page! :camera:

Many thanks :thanks: to Alex Sproul for creating the all the photo and cartography Web pages and uploading the images. :cofee:

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Postby Chads93GT » Oct 27, 2008 6:08 pm

I don't see how some of those photos can be winners. They are obviously photo shopped out the butt. I don't agree with that kind of photography. I mean, either its a true photo, or its a doctored image..............

Cool none the less, but ............yeah
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Teresa » Oct 27, 2008 7:48 pm

Chads93GT wrote:I don't see how some of those photos can be winners. They are obviously photo shopped out the butt. I don't agree with that kind of photography. I mean, either its a true photo, or its a doctored image.....

Chad, if you're interested, and not familiar, I'd suggest you look up the history of photography. With the possible exception of some news photography, where a person really was in the right place at the right time with a Polaroid camera, (or possibly the Zapruder film of the Kennedy assasssination, and some don't believe that) it's all doctored images.

I grew up with a black and white darkroom in the basement. Long before computers, you could mess with pictures just by how long you developed the film, how long you exposed the film or paper, what sort of film and paper you used, how the image was focused or enlarged or cropped, what part of a scene you chose to frame, camera angle, what you did to the emulsion with the chemistry, what camera you chose to use, filters, lenses, the temperature of the chemicals, if you had a model or a set up in addition to "what was there," and where your imagination led you. (I've still got a wonderful sandwiched negative double exposure with the words "Rockhound Supplies of Greater St. Louis" (a transparent window sign) emblazoned on the Elephant Rocks at Graniteville.)

Photoshop just made the process easier and less messy. All pictures are in the mind's eye. It's just a matter if people can get them on paper, or not.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Oct 27, 2008 8:35 pm

Don't like the winners? Volunteer to be a judge. :waving:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Next

Return to Photography and Videography Forum