bone marrow donation

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

bone marrow donation

Postby wendy » Jan 30, 2008 3:55 pm

Have any of you ever donated bone marrow before?
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Re: bone marrow donation

Postby wyandottecaver » Jan 30, 2008 5:36 pm

No. I hear it's fairly painful.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Jan 30, 2008 5:58 pm

No. Why? Here's some insightful and first hand knowledge about it at Ask Metafilter
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby wendy » Jan 30, 2008 7:12 pm

I got a call today from the national bone marrow registry that I am a potential match to a patient somewhere. I went in for my first round of testing today. Now it's up to the patient's doctor to pick who is the best match. There are 2 ways i could donate, again up to the doc, one is i would get shots for 5 days and then donate red blood cells or something like that, the take the blood out, it goes into a machine, and then they put what's left back in me. The 2nd way is to drill holes in my pelvis and draw out marrow. I'm just a little nervous that's all.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Postby wendy » Mar 31, 2008 8:23 pm

Well just an update....I got picked to donate. In should happen in a couple of weeks, I am waiting for the call with the info. I have to go to St. Pete for a few days and I will be donating stem cells. So that means the 5 days of shots and 2 days at the hospital. I posted more details on my myspace blog if you are interested.

Wish me and my receipant luck.

wendy
Global Moderator

Postby tncaver » Mar 31, 2008 8:31 pm

Please keep us informed Wendy. God bless you. You have bigger balls than I do. He, he. Will you know who the
recipient is? :yikes:
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wendy » Mar 31, 2008 8:34 pm

tncaver wrote:Please keep us informed Wendy. God bless you. You have bigger balls than I do. He, he. Will you know who the
recipient is? :yikes:

I know that she is 66 years old and has a very bad acute form of luekemia. ANd I think she lives in Minnesota. After 3 months they will let me know how she is doing, and after 1 year, if we both agree then we can make contact with each other.

wendy
Global Moderator

Postby ArCaver » Mar 31, 2008 8:41 pm

How did the national registry know to contact you in the first place? Is this something you initiated?
ArCaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wendy » Apr 1, 2008 1:04 am

ArCaver wrote:How did the national registry know to contact you in the first place? Is this something you initiated?

it was april of 2006 and the blood mobile was at my work, and i could not donate due to having gotten a tattoo within the last year, so they said i could give a couple tubes of bloods and be placed on the bone marrow registry, so i said ok,a nd two years later, here i am, a match to someone in need.

if you are interested in getting on the registry you can go to

http://www.marrow.org/HELP/Join_the_Don ... index.html

wendy
Global Moderator

Postby adleedy » Apr 1, 2008 6:06 am

good luck wendy
Alan D. Leedy

E.R.V.K.E.T Life Member

SAVE CAVE RIVERS http://WWW.8RIVERSSAFEDEVELOPMENT.COM
adleedy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: alan dwayne leedy
NSS #: 56663
Primary Grotto Affiliation: charleston grotto + ERVKET

Postby ArCaver » Apr 1, 2008 6:34 am

wendy wrote:
ArCaver wrote:How did the national registry know to contact you in the first place? Is this something you initiated?

it was april of 2006 and the blood mobile was at my work, and i could not donate due to having gotten a tattoo within the last year, so they said i could give a couple tubes of bloods and be placed on the bone marrow registry, so i said ok,a nd two years later, here i am, a match to someone in need.

if you are interested in getting on the registry you can go to

http://www.marrow.org/HELP/Join_the_Don ... index.html

Thanks. And good luck to both you and the recipient.
ArCaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby speloman » Apr 1, 2008 10:34 pm

Good Luck keep us posted!!!!!!!!
Justin Gleason 48217RE
:looking: If you can't grow it, I mine it.
speloman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Justin Gleason
NSS #: 48217RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Nevada Grotto

Postby graveleye » Apr 2, 2008 8:52 am

That's just fantastic and scary too, Wendy. I am really proud of you for doing that.

My wife's sister came down with A.L.L. several years ago and they were prepping my wife for a possible bone marrow donation. Unfortunately she passed away before they had a chance to try it. It was devastating. I really hope your donation makes a difference and everything goes well.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby wendy » Oct 25, 2008 10:10 pm

I got my 6 month update on my stem cell recipient. She is recovering but not yet back to everyday activities, which from the marrow.org website sounds about right, as it takes 6-9 months to a year post transplant to really get back to what all you used to do. Just thought I'd keep ya'll posted

wendy
Global Moderator

Postby Cheryl Jones » Oct 26, 2008 5:26 pm

:kewl: :clap:
Thanks for the update Wendy! AND for your brave and noble act to save the lady's life.

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Next

Return to Open Talk Forum