SCCi Acquisitions

Cave conservation issues, techniques, questions. Also visit the NSS Cave Conservation and Management Section.

Moderator: Moderators

SCCi Acquisitions

Postby Bill Putnam » Oct 14, 2008 9:28 am

I guess most of you have heard by now about the SCCi's latest acquisition at Fern Cave. Whenever we announce the acquisition of a new cave preserve, people ask about our plans for the next one. For example, in another thread people have asked about Megawell and Doodlebug, and I had several inquiries at TAG about a number of other popular caves.

We always have several projects in progress, and though I am not at liberty to discuss the details of those until they are completed, I can say that we also have a priority list of caves we'd like to acquire. It changes to reflect current access and conservation issues and situations, and is reviewed frequently. We can't acquire every cave that deserves protection, but having a priority list helps us focus our efforts and resources more effectively.

With that background, we'd like to ask the caving community for your input. What cave or caves would you like to see the SCCi acquire next?
Bill Putnam, NSS 21117 RL/FE
Chairman and Chief Troublemaker
The Revolutionary Hodag Party - Thinking outside the cave.

The jackal can roar,
pretending to be a lion.
The lion is not fooled.
Bill Putnam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 21117
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Revolutionary Hodag Party

Re: SCCi Acquisitions

Postby graveleye » Oct 14, 2008 10:46 am

I have a special place in my heart for just about any SE Georgia Caves. Glory Hole, Malloys Waterfall, Climax etc...
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby cavingcricket » Oct 14, 2008 10:53 am

lost canyon,johnsons crook and others in the area
cavingcricket
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 47119

Postby cavercrew » Oct 14, 2008 11:18 am

Pryor Springs would be nice...

Mike
cavercrew
Frequent Poster

Name: Mike Hopkins
NSS #: 53727
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pigeon Mountain Grotto

Postby graveleye » Oct 14, 2008 11:29 am

and of course, Ruby Falls should remain on the short list. We need a cave with disco lights.
ad astra per aspera

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby tncaver » Oct 14, 2008 1:52 pm

Bill Putnam wrote:With that background, we'd like to ask the caving community for your input. What cave or caves would you like to see the SCCi acquire next?

Bill,
Thank you for asking. I would love to see the SCCi buy or lease all of England Cove in White/Putnam County, Tennessee.
There are several good caves and pits on that property which is currently owned by an aging landowner. The land is
currently leased by a hunting club that is NOT caver friendly. If you are not already aware of this property and need more
specific information, you can email me (John Hutchison) at idigcaves@yahoo.com
England Cove has always been one of my most favorite coves and there are more caves there waiting to be discovered
if access can be regained. The entire cove was wide open in the old days about 25 years ago.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Oct 14, 2008 2:19 pm

Cuyler Cave, Sevier County, TN. 8.16 miles of passage. Multiple entrances. Pits. A nice cave worthy of protecting.
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby graveleye » Oct 17, 2008 8:27 am

As you can see, the SCCI guys have gone back to their secret lair to make more secret plans. :bananabat:
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby cavercrew » Oct 19, 2008 12:23 am

graveleye wrote:As you can see, the SCCI guys have gone back to their secret lair to make more secret plans. :bananabat:

Well, while they are hiding out, contemplating this and that, lets add... Run to the Mill.
Others that come to mind are Dorton Knob Smoke Hole, Serendipity SP?, Nirvana.
Worthy endeavors for sure. I guess the best way to make these and other endeavors become possible is to support the SCCI in any way you can...
Look at what they (you) have done (Suprise) . Join up and help it happen. Be a sustaining contributor, a little goes a long way when combined with
what others contribute.
I can honestly say I love the SCCI and all they do and fully support them in all their endeavors.
Thank you SCCI, keep up the good work.
Just in case nobody said it... We love you and all you do and I think I speak for all cavers here :big grin: :big grin:

Mike Hopkins
cavercrew
Frequent Poster

Name: Mike Hopkins
NSS #: 53727
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pigeon Mountain Grotto

Postby Bill Putnam » Oct 20, 2008 10:47 am

These are all excellent suggestions. Some were already on my list and I have added the others.

Rember that that SCCi is not limited to Tennessee, Alabama, and Georgia. Our mission area includes the entire southeastern region. We have properties in Florida, Kentucky, and West Virginia.

We have a board meeting coming up on November 15 in Franklin, TN, and I will be sure to include these suggestions in my report to the board for that meeting. You are all welcome to attend if you are interested. The meeting begins at 1:00 p.m. Central. You can find details on the SCCi meetings page at www.scci.org/meetings.
Bill Putnam, NSS 21117 RL/FE
Chairman and Chief Troublemaker
The Revolutionary Hodag Party - Thinking outside the cave.

The jackal can roar,
pretending to be a lion.
The lion is not fooled.
Bill Putnam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 21117
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Revolutionary Hodag Party

Postby wyandottecaver » Oct 20, 2008 6:24 pm

Webster Cave in KY might be a good one to put on the watch list. A great current landowner but sometimes things change....
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Oct 22, 2008 10:58 am

I don't want to totally derail the thread here, but how's Webster coming along. I haven't seen a report in a while.
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Return to Conservation Forum