31st Annual TAG Fall Cave-In oh yea!!

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 31st Annual TAG Fall Cave-In oh yea!!

Postby incavenow » Sep 16, 2008 9:52 pm

Thank the great cave troll I only live 25 miles from the Cave-In. It's a straight shot out of LaFayette to the mountain. And by the way. For those of you who indulge in a drink or two. Lafayette sells beer 24 hours a day(except Sundays and we'll be leaving then anyhow). So if you run short, you can find a sober friend(if you're lucky), to make a beer run for you. I know how friends can crash on your camp and run thru your supplies. :beer30: :toast: :toast: :toast:
incavenow
Prolific Poster

Name: Jeff Hudson
NSS #: 38762

Postby mgmills » Sep 17, 2008 5:57 am

graveleye wrote:[

We're coming up Friday morning so I think we're going to be on time (for a change).

:rofl: Since registration is open until 2 am of Friday night/Sat morning that would be one heck of a traffic jam if you couldn't make it by then.

I'm off to work in about 30 minutes . . . I 'll dream about the Cave-In on my drive to work.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby CaverScott » Sep 17, 2008 7:19 am

Thursday noon for me and Parv! :woohoo:
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby Scoon1 » Sep 17, 2008 7:47 am

Woo Hoo!!!! :banana_yay: It's that time of year again!! :banana: I can't wait! I'll be there around 4pm Thursday. It's such a blast to get to see everybody again and this event (No Joke) is the candle on my caving cake each and every year!!! :cavingrocks: :bananabat:
Eric Schoonover
NSS, SCCi, DCG, SMG
Scoon1
Frequent Poster

Name: Eric Schoonover
NSS #: 51375
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewannee Mountain Grotto Dogwood City Grotto

Postby incavenow » Sep 17, 2008 8:55 am

Eric, I'm really looking forward to seeing you and the boys again! Thanks again for ya'lls help on that cleanup job last year.
incavenow
Prolific Poster

Postby Scoon1 » Sep 17, 2008 3:23 pm

I'm getting to bring another family with me this year. One that is very near and dear to us.
Maybe we could organize a cleanup trip Saturday morning.
Nothing too big or anything, but a good lesson about conservation and the cave ecosystem would be great.
A couple of hours giving back would be good for the soul.
Eric Schoonover
NSS, SCCi, DCG, SMG
Scoon1
Frequent Poster

Name: Eric Schoonover
NSS #: 51375
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewannee Mountain Grotto Dogwood City Grotto

Postby caveflower » Sep 17, 2008 4:41 pm

Yeah the doctor gave me the aok to go caving. I'll will be caving at tag this year. I'm so excited :banana_yay: :banana_yay:
Better take it a little easy don't want to screw up what I've been working so hard to fix.
Incavenow I would love to talk to your wife and tell how much fun I have caving. Tell her its fun to be with friends and all the exercise you get. Plus you get to be with your hubbie and spend time with him. Brings you closer together as a family too.

Ahh! theres nothing like it in the world cavers are the best!
Caveflower
Caving is fun but people are always more important.
caveflower
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brenda
NSS #: 59462
Primary Grotto Affiliation: IKC EIG ISS NSS

Postby incavenow » Sep 17, 2008 4:48 pm

That is a great idea...however :roll: I believe I'll end up having the same duties I had last year. That is, making this a good campout for the family. We have a new family member, our daughter, Jacklyn, and Jacob at 5 years old is not going to be content to sit in camp as much as he did last year. Really though, I enjoy spending the time with my family. This is the only camping I've been able to get them to do, so I'm making the most of it. I'm hoping that soon I can start taking Jacob to some of the easier caves. Of course talking his mother into That is going to be a major project all by itself. I hope we can set up camp in or near the same area we had it in last year. So look for us there. Of course I'm gonig to bring our walkie-talkies again so we can be reached on whatever channel will be in use at the Cave-In this year.
incavenow
Prolific Poster

Postby hoosiercaver1 » Sep 17, 2008 4:55 pm

Hey, does anyone know what type of caves will have led trips to them. I have seen some, but I am looking for at least a couple of horizontal caves that my wife and I can go to. She is starting learning vert, but is not ready for any of those huge tag pits. Any ideas?
http://www.hoosiercaving.webs.com

We are Halfway There!!!

Slow caving is Safe Caving!!!
hoosiercaver1
Prolific Poster

Name: John Shultheis
NSS #: 59560
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby wendy » Sep 17, 2008 5:49 pm

hoosiercaver1 wrote:Hey, does anyone know what type of caves will have led trips to them. I have seen some, but I am looking for at least a couple of horizontal caves that my wife and I can go to. She is starting learning vert, but is not ready for any of those huge tag pits. Any ideas?

I will be doing all horizontal trips since my boyfriend is a newbie. I know we will go to cedar ridge crystal and bible springs on saturday, you are welcome to join. not sure what we will do on friday, but i was thinking maybe howard's waterfall or limrock blowing cave.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby hoosiercaver1 » Sep 17, 2008 7:19 pm

Cool, I might just have to hook up and cave with ya down there. Ill send you a pm closer to when we go to get the details.
http://www.hoosiercaving.webs.com

We are Halfway There!!!

Slow caving is Safe Caving!!!
hoosiercaver1
Prolific Poster

Name: John Shultheis
NSS #: 59560
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby incavenow » Sep 20, 2008 12:21 pm

:campfire: Can anyone give us some information on the stastus of campfires during the Cave-In? There has been some informal discussion here, but something difinitive before the campout would be extremly helpful. I agree it's mainly up to the landowner and I can understand the concerns there would be with many open fires in the woods. Ristrictions could be made limiting fires to metal fire rings, or contained fire pans off the ground. Tree cutting could be banned. There is a lot of dead wood laying around and many of us bring our own wood to burn with us. I noticed several people last year with wood in their vehicles that unfortunately were unable to use because of the drought. Campfires could be checked for safety issus; cleared ground, shovel handy, placement near tents and gear, etc. I realise the staff has a lot to do already but much can be observed while they make their regular patrols. Much self policeing already happens during this event and there are a lot of us who are responsable people that keep an eye on what happens in our areas. I'm sure there are volunteers who could be found to make sure all fires are out before we leave Sunday. I'd be the first to offer to help with this.
There is just something about a fire while you're camping. People gather together and others seem to stop by to visit and sit around. The warmth, light and smell of a fire enhances a campout. Many of us enjoy cooking on a fire and there is nothing better than a steak cooked on an open fire. Our children can cook hotdogs and toast marshmellows. My wife was so looking forward to making some 'smores' last year.
Could the planning staff let us know before hand what is decided on this issue so people can plan accordingly? If we are to be allowed fires, I want to get the truck loaded with wood and fire pan and bring my rake and shovel along.
incavenow
Prolific Poster

Postby graveleye » Sep 21, 2008 8:45 am

We discussed this at the last DCG EC meeting with a member of the Cave-In Advisory Board. We are still not 100% certain if we can have the big bonfire, much less individual campfires. As you might recall, we didn't know if we could have the Saturday night bonfire last year until just a couple of hours prior to lighting it. Whether or not there are any fires at the Cave-in is first up to the county. They are the final say. The landowner will decide whether he wants to allow individual campfires and so far he has not said one way or another. It's a wait and see issue.

That being said, the big bonfire has been cut and stacked and looks pretty darn impressive!!
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby mgmills » Sep 21, 2008 8:59 pm

graveleye wrote:We discussed this at the last DCG EC meeting with a member of the Cave-In Advisory Board. We are still not 100% certain if we can have the big bonfire, much less individual campfires. As you might recall, we didn't know if we could have the Saturday night bonfire last year until just a couple of hours prior to lighting it. Whether or not there are any fires at the Cave-in is first up to the county. They are the final say. The landowner will decide whether he wants to allow individual campfires and so far he has not said one way or another. It's a wait and see issue.

That being said, the big bonfire has been cut and stacked and looks pretty darn impressive!!

People forget that prior to the Cave-In moving to the current location no campfires were allowed in individual campsites unless you were one of the few elite to get one of the regular campground campsites.

And slightly :off topic: but on the subject of campfires . . . with so many "tree diseases" out there these days bringing in wood from other places isn't really such a great idea. Not singling you out specifically Jeff since you are close enough any diseases your trees have would possibly be there anyway but some folks travel across several states and could bring in diseased wood.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby wendy » Sep 22, 2008 6:25 am

mgmills wrote:
graveleye wrote:We discussed this at the last DCG EC meeting with a member of the Cave-In Advisory Board. We are still not 100% certain if we can have the big bonfire, much less individual campfires. As you might recall, we didn't know if we could have the Saturday night bonfire last year until just a couple of hours prior to lighting it. Whether or not there are any fires at the Cave-in is first up to the county. They are the final say. The landowner will decide whether he wants to allow individual campfires and so far he has not said one way or another. It's a wait and see issue.

People forget that prior to the Cave-In moving to the current location no campfires were allowed in individual campsites unless you were one of the few elite to get one of the regular campground campsites.

And slightly :off topic: but on the subject of campfires . . . with so many "tree diseases" out there these days bringing in wood from other places isn't really such a great idea. Not singling you out specifically Jeff since you are close enough any diseases your trees have would possibly be there anyway but some folks travel across several states and could bring in diseased wood.

wasn't it at the Indiana convention or something that you could not bring out of state wood or something?

Also remind people that they are not allowed to cut down trees at the fall cave-in site. I think I remember some guy geting ejected for chopping down some trees so his truck would fit in his spot.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

PreviousNext

Return to Caver Events