2008 Fall VAR

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 2008 Fall VAR

Postby adleedy » Sep 13, 2008 5:45 pm

VAR is almost here, cant wait to see everyone
Alan D. Leedy

E.R.V.K.E.T Life Member

SAVE CAVE RIVERS http://WWW.8RIVERSSAFEDEVELOPMENT.COM
adleedy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: alan dwayne leedy
NSS #: 56663
Primary Grotto Affiliation: charleston grotto + ERVKET

Postby VACaver » Sep 14, 2008 9:33 am

Fall VAR UPDATE!!!!!

We are busy getting ready for the Fall VAR that starts on Friday. I have information on another cave trip/project that will be available at Friday's on-site sign up.

Subway (Water Sinks Cave) – Horizontal/ intermediate
Leader: Phil Lucas
Trip Length: 3 to 4 hours
Trip Limit: 6
Travel Time : Approximately one and a half hours
Leader comments: There is an easy 20 feet climb down (on ladders) at the entrance. Most of the travel through the cave will be walking but there is one section of tight narrow passages where large folks may not get through. There is one interesting narrow passage where jamming yourself up into the top of the keyhole and then squirming for about ten feet is necessary. About halfway on this trip is the site of the Slim Pickens Dig. This may lead to huge cave beyond. It is in sandy material with some clay and is a delight to dig. We will spend a couple hours digging here in the hopes that this will be the breakthrough trip. These plans may be altered if there is rain as this cave has been known to receive some water. Oh, one more thing. If we do dig into virgin cave, then we will change into survey mode and the trip will last longer. But we will be back in time for the program.

We are attempting to get more led cave trips, especially ones suited for families, but are having trouble finding more leaders. If anyone is interested in leading a cave trip please let me know.

I am receiving emails from many of you requesting a dinner ticket be held for you. I can do so up until Monday morning at 10:00AM, after that it will be on a first come first serve basis at on-site registration. If you are planning on attending & want a guaranteed meal please send me an email (pondlady97@cox.net) & let me know & send in your registration form ASAP. I will not be able receive mail after Wed. for the VAR.

Don't forget that Front Royal Grotto is doing their wonderful Pancake Breakfast on Sunday. It includes pancakes (all you can eat), sausage, fruit, coffee/tea, & juice for $4 for adults & $2 for children. This will be served Sunday morning from 8AM - 10AM or until they run out.

I am hoping for good weather & a GREAT turnout!

See ya there!

Susan Burr
Blue Ridge Grotto
VACaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Patrick

Postby VACaver » Sep 15, 2008 10:06 am

LOOKING GOOD!!!

Looks like we're gonna be blessed with some wonderful weather for our VAR:

Thursday: Partly sunny, with a high near 76.

Thursday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 53.

Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 73.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 53.

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 74.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 53.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 74.

Let's keep our fingers crossed!!
VACaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Sep 15, 2008 1:32 pm

:banana_yay: :banana_yay: :banana_yay:
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby adleedy » Sep 15, 2008 8:46 pm

:bananabat: :banana: :banana_yay: looks like perfect caving/celebration weather!
Alan D. Leedy

E.R.V.K.E.T Life Member

adleedy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Sep 15, 2008 9:35 pm

Hey Pat and Susan,

Just in case things don't get better by the weekend, can y'all advise what gas stations have gas and better prices? Maybe around Roanoke, Lexington, Lewisburg, Covington, Clifton Forge, etc.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby VACaver » Sep 16, 2008 2:16 am

Scott,

About the best I can do is provide this link to Virginia gas prices: http://www.virginiagasprices.com/
VACaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Jep » Sep 16, 2008 8:29 am

Gas prices are definitely cheaper in VA than WV. Your best prices will be at Raphine/Steeles Tavern (Exit 205) and Mint Spring (Exit 217) on I-81 coming from the North. I found decent prices at Wythville (unknown exit no.) coming from the South on I-81.

By the mall in Roanoke by the airport has the best prices in that area, but that only helps our Hosts, Blue Ridge Grotto.

If you take the Route 220 exit of I-81(Exit 150, but not sure if A, B or AB), believe it or not, the best prices are at a little ma and pa store on the left between Fincastle and Eagle Rock.

I promise you, there are no deals in the Covington area or Lewisburg, but Covington usually is a little better than Lewisburg.

Best prices are in Richmond, so if you are coming from that direction, fill up there.

Now that Ike has passed, the prices in Lewisburg (which were running as cheap as $3.71 before Ike and spiked to $4.16 during Ike) have been dropping and were at $3.96 last night, So good chances that the prices will drop some more before Friday. Best places in Lewisburg are the GoMart and WalMart stations south of I-64 and George Dasher's favorite station, the Little General Marathon north of I-64.

I'll try and post the Lewisburg prices on Thursday evening or Friday morning. Jeff Bray and I will be taking the Powers That Be on the final walkthru for the facilities that are being proposed for the 2012 convention proposal Friday afternoon before the VAR.

Jep.
Jep
Prolific Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Sep 16, 2008 8:46 am

Thanks, Pat and Jep,

I'll assume that the gas is flowing up there. My neighborhood gas stations still don't have any gas. Very strange.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby VACaver » Sep 16, 2008 9:04 am

Scott,

Some stations (naturally, the cheapest ones like Sheetz) are out, but the news is reporting that supplies will be back to normal by mid-week.
VACaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby adleedy » Sep 16, 2008 9:06 pm

great, no problems with shortages in charleston as of yet, gas has started to drop here though.
Alan D. Leedy

E.R.V.K.E.T Life Member

adleedy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby HitekHomeless » Sep 18, 2008 10:52 am

Only one more day to go!
See ya there.

~Jenn
NSS# 60376
http://hitekhomeless.net
HitekHomeless
Infrequent Poster

Postby Jep » Sep 19, 2008 8:50 am

Okay, as promised. There has been no additional changes in the gas prices here in Lewisburg. Still $3.96 at the stations I mentioned before. Actually $3.959, but I rounded that number up. After all, who here on this board has even seen a mil? Just like NZ, who abolished the use of the cent back in the late '80's, we should also abandon the cent, much less, the tax mil.

See you all in a few hours. Jep.
Jep
Prolific Poster

Postby NZcaver » Sep 19, 2008 1:37 pm

Jep wrote:Just like NZ, who abolished the use of the cent back in the late '80's, we should also abandon the cent, much less, the tax mil.

It's true, we have no cents. :doh: :tonguecheek:

A 10 cent coin is now the smallest NZ cash denomination, although electronic retail transactions are still down to 1 cent increments (cash transactions are rounded up or down). US pennies cost more than 1 cent to produce, just like the old NZ coins did. Makes no cents. :big grin:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Jep » Sep 22, 2008 7:47 am

So I should save my old NZ pennies and five-cent pieces? Actually, I think only a couple of rural places even had pennies in their cash drawer, which I asked them for and they gave me readily.

The VAR was excellent. Weather was great and the trips I was associated with were great.

Thanks to Susan Burr and all the Blue Ridge Grotto and James River Grotto people for a great weekend.

Jep.
Jep
Prolific Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Caver Events