Any one used this mini mag upgrade???

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Any one used this mini mag upgrade???

Postby hoosiercaver1 » Sep 18, 2008 8:24 pm

I was searching on ebay for a good deal on the 3w led mini mags, and came across this upgrade. It seems pretty bright if it is 140 lumens. I was wondering who has seen this in action. I woIuld like to know how adjustable the beam of light is, and how long the batteries "really" last. I might buy one sometime if it seems like a good deal.

heres the link to it
http://cgi.ebay.com/TERRALUX-CREE-LED-BULB-for-AA-MINI-MAGLITE-TLE-5EX-NEW_W0QQitemZ260286502005QQihZ016QQcategoryZ106987QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://www.hoosiercaving.webs.com

We are Halfway There!!!

Slow caving is Safe Caving!!!
hoosiercaver1
Prolific Poster

Name: John Shultheis
NSS #: 59560
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Re: Any one used this mini mag upgrade???

Postby NZcaver » Sep 18, 2008 9:31 pm

I'm not familiar with this one personally, but... I'm skeptical of something listed as "Terralux" AND "Cree." As far as I know, it's either one or the other. Probably just an eye-catching marketing ploy.

I have some old AA Maglites, and can appreciate you wanting to upgrade their puny incandescent bulbs. I did that with mine several years ago, using the slightly-less-puny Nite-Ize 3-LED modules which can probably still be purchased from Wal Mart or similar for $5 each. These lights no longer go caving with me, but I still have them rolling around in the tool kit and car etc just in case. Not to dissuade you, but if you really like Maglites a better move might be to try the AA MagLED models. They are a bit under-powered for a 3 watt LED, though. Or you could think about something even better like a Fenix flashlight.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby YuccaPatrol » Sep 18, 2008 10:06 pm

The folks over at candlepowerforums praise it for being the best available drop-in upgrade, but also warn that it is not quite as bright as claimed and suffers from a lack of heat-sinking. But for $20, it will definitely transform your minimag into something approaching the performance of the better lights out there.
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Andrew Mobley
NSS #: 58447
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Sep 18, 2008 10:16 pm

OK, ignore some of my previous post. :oops:

Candlepower Forums, as usual, gives some valuable feedback on these TLE-5EX upgrades (thanks, YuccaPatrol!) It seems they do indeed make Cree versions. For $20, I say give it a try!
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby incavenow » Sep 19, 2008 12:02 am

I think you had it right on your first post NZcaver. If I want a small, compact light with great brightness and good battery time, I would go with the Fenix everytime. But that's just me and I'm prejudiced.
incavenow
Prolific Poster

Name: Jeff Hudson
NSS #: 38762

Postby hoosiercaver1 » Sep 19, 2008 3:13 pm

Well, the reason I even considered it was it claims to be 140 lumens. Thats one and a half times what my apex says it can do. The apex it pretty bright. I already have the nite ize upgrade, which isnt too bad, but I was wanting something a little brighter for when I want to use my carbide lamp. If I need a good long spot, the carbide wont do that, so I turn on my backup on my helmet. Thats why if it was 140 lms and my carbide went out and I didnt want to refill, I could just use that for the rest of the trip. Im not confident enough in the night ize to use it a primary if neccessary. I also dont really like spending the money it cost to get a fenix.
http://www.hoosiercaving.webs.com

We are Halfway There!!!

Slow caving is Safe Caving!!!
hoosiercaver1
Prolific Poster

Name: John Shultheis
NSS #: 59560
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby bronzzhorse » Sep 20, 2008 11:03 pm

NZcaver wrote:I have some old AA Maglites, and can appreciate you wanting to upgrade their puny incandescent bulbs. I did that with mine several years ago, using the slightly-less-puny Nite-Ize 3-LED modules which can probably still be purchased from Wal Mart or similar for $5 each.

I have the Nite-Ize upgrade as well, and must agree.... upgrading is probably not your best bet..... I tried the upgrade, and the MagLED AA model side by side with identical batteries from the same packett, and by FAR the MagLED was noticeably brighter.
Cant speak for THIS particular brand of upgrade, but really, how much different CAN it be??
Hope this helps a little..... CHEERS!!
Josh Dunn
NSS# 60712
Co-Chair: Six Ridges Grotto

"Carpe Infinium".....Take it ALL!!!
"Molan Labe" ........ Come and Get Some!!
bronzzhorse
Prolific Poster

Name: Josh
NSS #: 60712
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Six Ridges Grotto

Return to Equipment Forum