??'s about Petzl-ASCENSION Ascenders

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

??'s about Petzl-ASCENSION Ascenders

Postby bronzzhorse » Sep 15, 2008 5:44 pm

I just ordered a set of the Petzl ASCENSION ascenders. Anyone familiar with them. I made the purchace based maily on price, and the Petzl name. Thing is, since ordering, I have noticed SEVERAL "less than stellar" reviews..... Seems odd from ANY Petzl product, so I thought I should gather a few opinions here as well..... THANX and CHEERS!!!
Josh Dunn
NSS# 60712
Co-Chair: Six Ridges Grotto

"Carpe Infinium".....Take it ALL!!!
"Molan Labe" ........ Come and Get Some!!
bronzzhorse
Prolific Poster

Name: Josh
NSS #: 60712
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Six Ridges Grotto

Re: ??'s about Petzl-ASCENSION Ascenders

Postby Scott McCrea » Sep 15, 2008 6:52 pm

I've been using Petzl-Ascension ascenders since you were knee-high to a grasshopper. I have been quite pleased with their performance. I would guess that a great majority of cavers use Petzl ascenders. They work just fine. Enjoy!
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby bronzzhorse » Sep 15, 2008 7:20 pm

Much Ablidged..... I thought myself that they seemed to be pretty much the standard..... I guess the reviews I read may have been from people expecting WAYY too much of their gear. Up till now I have been using the KONG look-alike. (only been Vert. Caving for a couple years now). I've always been happy with them, and, after a li'l looking, it seemed like the Petzl's had identical features, at a little better Price....... ANYWHO... thanks again, and CHEERS!!!!!
Josh Dunn
NSS# 60712

bronzzhorse
Prolific Poster

Postby NZcaver » Sep 15, 2008 8:08 pm

I second Scott's comments. I originally started out using Jumars, but since switching to the Petzl ascender family long ago I've never looked back. I doubt you'll be disappointed.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby bronzzhorse » Sep 15, 2008 9:24 pm

NZcaver wrote:.........I originally started out using Jumars......

There is a "Military Surplus Store" here in my town that carrys Jumars.....The ONLY brand they carry actually. :roll: I just couldn't justify 150 dollars a set. Seems a bit steep for a basic model ascender.... I did however get my Rescue and basic figure 8's there.(after a bit of :argue: with the owner over price :rofl: ). they also carry some 7/16's "Military Spec. Static Rope", but i feel a little hesitant to buy a STATIC ROPE from a SURPLUS Store... :nono:
Josh Dunn
NSS# 60712

bronzzhorse
Prolific Poster

Postby NZcaver » Sep 15, 2008 10:06 pm

bronzzhorse wrote:There is a "Military Surplus Store" here in my town that carrys Jumars.....The ONLY brand they carry actually. :roll: I just couldn't justify 150 dollars a set. Seems a bit steep for a basic model ascender....

That does seem rather steep. If I recall, my (yellow type) Jumars cost me $112 (NZ) a set about 20 years ago. That was probably about $70 US, I would guess. None of the major US caving vendors seem to stock Jumars any more. But I did find one US supplier EverestGear.com who has them on sale for $110 a pair.

This reminds me - there was an article in the NSS News (last year I think) written by a caver in Europe who was basically saying that Jumars are dangerous for caving and should not be used underground. I don't have that issue at hand, so I can't quote directly. His rationale was that cast aluminum ascenders may crack if dropped or knocked hard, whereas rolled ones like the Petzl models will not. Still, plenty of cavers here and elsewhere continue to use Jumars quite happily.

This alleged safety issue might make for an interesting discussion. If I had the article to quote from, I'd start a new topic. Anybody else remember that article?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby bronzzhorse » Sep 15, 2008 10:40 pm

NZcaver wrote:That does seem rather steep. If I recall, my (yellow type) Jumars cost me $112

It's the yellow ones they have. They are yellow... VERY yellow...... HIDEIOUSLY yellow.
I ask the owner what was the best he could do. (Marked 149.99+tax).... he ran to the computer and said, "I can give them to ya fer 150.".......I nearly peed on myself keeping the laughter in. :rofl: Anyways... :roll:
Josh Dunn
NSS# 60712

bronzzhorse
Prolific Poster

Return to Equipment Forum