New Petzl Ascenders and headlamp

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

New Petzl Ascenders and headlamp

Postby Scott McCrea » Sep 10, 2008 3:11 pm

At the Outdoor Retailer Summer Expo, Petzl displayed their new re-designed ascenders. Due out in April '09. The Basic and Croll will also be updated.
Click here for larger image.

There is also mention of a new Myo headlamp that will be programmable and regulated, $99.

See this article for more details, scroll about half way down, on page 2, for the Petzl stuff.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Re: New Petzl Ascenders and headlamp

Postby NZcaver » Sep 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Very cool link, Scott.

I'd like to check out the redesigned cam and teeth on the new Petzl ascenders, and the recessed "trigger" (I assume he means the safety). A couple more nice tiny lightweight carabiners are coming out, including a internal locking non-screw gate style one which looks interesting. The bamboo socks look nice too.

A little scary that the guy usually climbs without a helmet just because he hates trying to cram it in his pack. Any reason why he can't clip it on the outside like the rest of us?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Sep 10, 2008 7:59 pm

NZcaver wrote:I'd like to check out the redesigned cam and teeth on the new Petzl ascenders, and the recessed "trigger" (I assume he means the safety). A couple more nice tiny lightweight carabiners are coming out, including a internal locking non-screw gate style one which looks interesting. The bamboo socks look nice too.

GEARFREAK!!! :nyah: :kidding:

Presumably Petzl's redesign on the safeties was because of people using them in the wrong hand and grinding them against the rock? if it shows how sensitive petzl and other gear companies are to safety even if the concerns were the result of misuse.

Yeah those DMM non screw gate lockers look like a really cool idea, I think usage wise they'll be less secure than a standard screw gate because the leverage at the end of the gate has to significant and there are already problems/concerns about how easy it can be to defeat the locking sleeve on screw gate carabiners. So I'm guessing it's an attempt to make spring gate carabiners a little more secure and probably get rid of gate flutter.
I doubt they could be used in place of screw gates though. Cavewise I'm guessing the locking mechanism will get clogged with mud, pity because I reckon they would have made a good compromise option between screw gates and non lockers on cowstails.

DMM does seem to make some pretty cool and innovative gear though!! :kewl:
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby NZcaver » Sep 10, 2008 8:41 pm

fuzzy-hair-man wrote:GEARFREAK!!! :nyah: :kidding:

Guilty. :oops:

Presumably Petzl's redesign on the safeties was because of people using them in the wrong hand and grinding them against the rock?

Perhaps so.

it shows how sensitive petzl and other gear companies are to safety even if the concerns were the result of misuse.

:exactly:

Yeah those DMM non screw gate lockers look like a really cool idea, I think usage wise they'll be less secure than a standard screw gate because the leverage at the end of the gate has to significant and there are already problems/concerns about how easy it can be to defeat the locking sleeve on screw gate carabiners. So I'm guessing it's an attempt to make spring gate carabiners a little more secure and probably get rid of gate flutter.
I doubt they could be used in place of screw gates though. Cavewise I'm guessing the locking mechanism will get clogged with mud, pity because I reckon they would have made a good compromise option between screw gates and non lockers on cowstails.

I was thinking of those carabiners for cowstail use too, but you're probably right about them losing functionality when clogged with mud.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby incavenow » Sep 12, 2008 9:10 am

I gotta get some of those bamboo socks!! :kewl:
incavenow
Prolific Poster

Name: Jeff Hudson
NSS #: 38762

Postby graveleye » Sep 12, 2008 10:42 am

Think they'll redesign their croll in a similar fashion?
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Scott McCrea » Sep 12, 2008 11:33 am

graveleye wrote:Think they'll redesign their croll in a similar fashion?

From the article I linked previously, "The new cam/trigger assembly will also find its way onto the Basic and the Croll."
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby graveleye » Sep 12, 2008 2:33 pm

Cool... i must have missed that while I was drooling over the pictures.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby quinoa » Sep 13, 2008 2:32 am

I was told that the only lights PETZL certs for caving is the DUO and LAZER carbide electric which they don't make any more.
Replaced by the explorer which has the duo.
I had a MYO lite style with twisting bezel switch (not the XP) completely fail within 2 months and never took it underground!
I do use a blade mount mini under my carbide kinda like the old lazer. Works great.
I would be way more productive if I could just sit in a cave all day.
quinoa
Infrequent Poster

Name: Jim Lawton
NSS #: 41957
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern ColoRADo Grotto

Return to Equipment Forum