Caving boots?

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Caving boots?

Postby irhxcbcziuzxs » Aug 1, 2008 1:31 pm

As most of you know by now, im going on a wild tour of organ cave in WV in about 14 or so days....
Im looking to buy something supportive for my feet for this trip, and ive read through the forums and cant seem to find a clear answer, everything from joops to wellies to merrel hiking boots.

I will need a brand of boot that I can try on in a store and pick up, online ordering is not an option of this time, I have extremely wide feet a high instep and am also flat footed with an accessory bone. I twisted my foot almost 2 years ago and it still hasnt healed so support is definatley important though too...

cheap is always great too.....
Last edited by NZcaver on Aug 1, 2008 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved topic from general caving questions to the equipment forum
irhxcbcziuzxs
Frequent Poster

Re: Caving boots?

Postby Mudduck » Aug 1, 2008 2:23 pm

Wolverines I believe its the "Marquette" model. They sell them in "ew" for extra wide and are available at most shoe stores they come steel toe and non. Cost around $50.00. Work great long as you keep them relatively dry.
I think I can...I think I can...I think I can
Mudduck
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bill Reed
NSS #: 60046
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Currently a Lone caver

Postby NZcaver » Aug 1, 2008 6:00 pm

I appreciate your quest for information, but please consider using the box on the top right of the page to search for the information you're seeking. If you don't find what you're looking for, either ask questions in another related topic or start a new topic if you can't find one which suits. Caving boots have already been discussed at length on the forum, however don't let that discourage you from adding to the fray.

Also check out the Read me first before posting announcement. Thanks!
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby irhxcbcziuzxs » Aug 1, 2008 9:25 pm

Yeah I read through several threads of caving books, and I didnt want to ressurect an old thread.
irhxcbcziuzxs
Frequent Poster

Postby NZcaver » Aug 1, 2008 10:51 pm

Fair enough, then.

For now I think you're best off visiting local outdoor stores and department stores, and trying as many general hiking type boots as you can. For your foot situation, comfort should be the first consideration. In the outdoor and specialized stores, employees should be able to help you out with advice and fitting. I think a pair of lightweight rubber sole boot with combination leather/synthetic uppers might be best. You may even find the cheap Wal Mart or other box store hiking boots fit well enough, at least for now. Buying boots slightly large and planning on adding insoles and/or 2 pairs of socks might be another way to minimize foot issues. I doubt you're feet will feel comfortable in the all-rubber type boots (Wellies etc) with no support, but I might be wrong. Good luck!
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby incavenow » Sep 12, 2008 7:44 pm

I swear by 'Rocky's"
incavenow
Prolific Poster

Name: Jeff Hudson
NSS #: 38762

Postby tncaver » Sep 12, 2008 7:55 pm

NZ,
In all fairness, consider the fact that something new might come on the market. Therefore, making a new post on an
old thread might be very informative or useful for everyone. :waving:
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Sep 14, 2008 1:08 am

tncaver wrote:NZ,
In all fairness, consider the fact that something new might come on the market. Therefore, making a new post on an
old thread might be very informative or useful for everyone. :waving:

Agreed! The more useful information, the better. :grin:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Return to Equipment Forum