Polypro

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Polypro

Postby Evan G » Aug 1, 2008 8:24 pm

NZcaver wrote:Evan, you can keep your wool and leather for the outdoors. I'm sure they work well, but I'll stick with my GoreTex and other magic synthetic fabrics. :big grin:

Mmm.. your boots would wear out fast :big grin:
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby NZcaver » Aug 1, 2008 10:11 pm

Evan wrote:
NZcaver wrote:Evan, you can keep your wool and leather for the outdoors. I'm sure they work well, but I'll stick with my GoreTex and other magic synthetic fabrics. :big grin:

Mmm.. your boots would wear out fast :big grin:

OK smartie. :wink: My Keen hikers are a combination of real animal (leather) and GoreTex. I've used similar (but cheaper) leather and nylon versions for some warm/dry climate caving, however the boots I've used for the majority of my caving over the years have been all-synthetic - rubber and rubber/neoprene. They actually last pretty well - at least as long as leather ones. So there. :cool:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Evan G » Aug 1, 2008 10:28 pm

LOL. NZ! :boxing:

:rofl:
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby BadPirate » Aug 5, 2008 9:38 am

Thank you for all your comments. As with everything personal pref. is the final call. I will go at first I think with little less expensive but not the cheapest. As I am new and working past my phobia of small places a little at a time. I also know that without proper gear you become frustrated with not being comfortable and that is why I despise winter , I have never had the gear to just do winter sports LOL. Plus I hate the snow and freezing temps. Im a Sun baby "Captn Ron" type guy. But winters are so long here in Michigan and Beth has introduced me to try caving to help me through the Winter Blues. Seems like fun so far and I love adventure. I take her Sailing in summer she takes me Caving in the fall and winter, Sounds like a fair trade to me.

Brian
www.greatlakesriverpirates.net
BadPirate
Infrequent Poster

Postby cave rat » Aug 20, 2008 3:50 pm

Cave Rat
NSS 46542RE
SCCI
Jackson County/Scottsboro Grotto
cave rat
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 46542RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Jackson County-Scottsboro Grotto

Postby Chads93GT » Aug 21, 2008 3:11 pm

Under Armor > Polypro ;)

i hated my poly pro back in the day, it was...........ok....... when i first tried on under armor i was shocked and awed. I wear it EVERY day in the winter, and i wear my 3 year old underarmor caving now. love love love it.
poly pro made my arm/leg's itch (arm/leg hair) in no time, underarmor takes a long time to get that same "itchy" effect, and it never happens when im soaked, which is always the case with caving.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Aug 24, 2008 2:57 am

In my experience, the classic Under Armour does not provide good thermal insulation compared with polypro. Its wicking properties seem to be its best asset. But their thicker fleece stuff might be better suited to caving I suppose.

I use the cheap knockoff version which I find it great for hiking, especially in cooler climates under a long sleeved shirt. But if caves are much colder than 50 F, and especially if they're 40 or below, I want something a little warmer. Particularly if I'm not going to be constantly on the move in the cave. I usually wear a polypro top and bottom (about $10 each from Wal Mart), a fleece top, and my nylon Meander suit. I've found this works well for me in most cooler climates. I may have to try my cheap Under Armour knockoffs next time I'm caving in Hawaii or Arizona though - I'm thinking they might work good for that.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby wyandottecaver » Aug 24, 2008 12:28 pm

Also be aware that there are 2 main types of Under Armour. HeatGear and ColdGear They are not always signed well. Makes a differance! There is now also loosefit versions which are not nearly so effective but are great for general purpose yuppie gear :big grin:

I still swear by Patagonia but it is pricey. For most caving (90%) I wear a thin polypro style shirt and pants under my nylon suit. If I will be in a lot of water and/or not moving much I add my Petzl fleece unionsuit. I almost prefer this to a wesuit in most cases. In extreme cases I use a semi-dry suit and nylon coveralls but usually have to open up now and then to cool off even when the trip is mostly neck deep.

Of course my companions think I'm nutz anyway because I prefer water caving. I rarely get too cold. Of course I did meet my match once. The entrance section was a hands and knees crawl with water to your neck covered in 1/4" ice you had to break as you went. I got about 100' before deciding summer would be a better time to visit! Of course it was Jan.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby incavenow » Sep 9, 2008 5:51 pm

Our local Army surplus store in Chattanooga carries both the 'sport' poly and the military artic stuff. I love the sport poly for caving but find in most caves here in TAG, the military stuff will burn you up if you're doing any moving at all. It's great for winter outdoor wear though. My perfered caving outfit is just a set of poly's and a pair of old fatigue pants cut off to shorts, and kneepads. Not the best looking of outfits, but it's comfortable, dry and warm. I also have great freedom of movement which I didn't have in the coveralls I started my caving career in. And yep, don't ever put poly in the dryer, it will dry in just a few minutes hanging anywhere in the house, or leave it out in the sun for that fresh scent...
incavenow
Prolific Poster

Name: Jeff Hudson
NSS #: 38762

Postby Chads93GT » Sep 9, 2008 7:05 pm

I only wear my under armor, my older black stuff, becuase I already have it and its 3 years old. I got into caving becuase it was a cheap recreational sport for me. I already had most of my gear from other stuff, and what I didn't have was cheap to get, and I never have to travel anywhere to go caving. I suppose I should go see what walmart has for an underarmor type synthetic, becuase UA is expensive. so far i havent torn any of it, but I have only done 2 cave trips where i my ua was even exposed ;)
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum