Ebay again, seems to never end.

Cave conservation issues, techniques, questions. Also visit the NSS Cave Conservation and Management Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Ebay again, seems to never end.

Postby wyandottecaver » Sep 8, 2008 5:13 pm

As Teresa pointed the policy quoted refered to Federal lands and further, "significant" caves on those lands which have a unique definition. Rptyd is from KY and I believe (but may be wrong) that the selling of ANY speleothem is illegal in KY, thus if a seller stated their location as KY then "applicable state laws" would apply.

I also know of several transplanted and outright fake formations in show caves that are perfect. Even an experianced caver would not notice without the very minor tell-tales being pointed out. Maybe it's time to start my replica cave formation business on Ebay :yikes: sign them like they do modern flint spearpoints.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Grandpa Caver » Sep 8, 2008 9:05 pm

wyandottecaver wrote:I also know of several transplanted and outright fake formations in show caves that are perfect. Even an experianced caver would not notice without the very minor tell-tales being pointed out. Maybe it's time to start my replica cave formation business on Ebay :yikes: sign them like they do modern flint spearpoints.

Your welcome to practice on my basement. I've often thought of turning it into a faux cave. :wink:
I know... :off topic: Carry on.
Brian Leavell
NSS 21862FE
Grandpa Caver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian Leavell
NSS #: 21862FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby KD5NRH » Sep 9, 2008 6:04 pm

wyandottecaver wrote:I also know of several transplanted and outright fake formations in show caves that are perfect. Even an experianced caver would not notice without the very minor tell-tales being pointed out. Maybe it's time to start my replica cave formation business on Ebay :yikes: sign them like they do modern flint spearpoints.

Last trip to Carlsbad, I was thinking that it would be terribly amusing to sneak fiberglass stal into the old user-damaged areas with some subtle flaw and see how many people would notice. Mold lines, identical formations, etc. would probably slip right past 99% of the guests, but it would be funny to see how long it takes a ranger to spot the problem.
KD5NRH
Occasional Poster

Postby YuccaPatrol » Sep 11, 2008 8:40 pm

YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Andrew Mobley
NSS #: 58447
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Postby Teresa » Sep 11, 2008 9:27 pm

YuccaPatrol wrote:On the subject of ebay. . . . .

I just found this auction selling sunglasses for caving! :rofl: What will they think of next?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sunglasses-CLIMBING-CAVING-6-Pairs-2008-SUMMER-SALE_W0QQitemZ260277696873QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260277696873&_trkparms=72:1163|39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1309&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I want some of those for when I cave with people who have Apexes.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Sep 14, 2008 1:50 am

Teresa wrote:
YuccaPatrol wrote:On the subject of ebay. . . . .

I just found this auction selling sunglasses for caving! :rofl: What will they think of next?

I want some of those for when I cave with people who have Apexes.

Nice idea, but I'll wager carbide has done more harm to caver eyeballs over the years than LEDs have. :laughing:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Previous

Return to Conservation Forum