A skeleton found in a cave was named Eve, from Asia

Questions, techniques, gear, safety. Also visit the NSS Cave Diving Section.

Moderator: Moderators

A skeleton found in a cave was named Eve, from Asia

Postby Ernie Coffman » Sep 4, 2008 9:35 am

Here's a link to a story on a skeleton found in an underwater cave, which tells about the connection between Asia and North America: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... etons.html
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: A skeleton found in a cave was named Eve, from Asia

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Sep 4, 2008 12:50 pm

Ernie Coffman wrote:Here's a link to a story on a skeleton found in an underwater cave, which tells about the connection between Asia and North America: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... etons.html

So that's what became of the mother of the human race. Interesting.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby roel88 » Oct 24, 2008 10:34 am

Hmmm the missing link perhaps of Eurasia.Nice one there.I hope they would pin point what specific country in Asia the skeleton might have come from.
roel88
Infrequent Poster

Postby chac » Oct 25, 2008 12:07 am

I hesitate to post this, but here it goes for what it is worth. The skeleton in question ("Eve" so to speak) was discovered long ago. In fact I found this human skeleton and other sets of other skeletal remains in an underwater cave system in Quintana Roo over 15 years ago. The sites for these remains are quite distant from a cave entrance. They are also
sequestered from the present day water current path. In other words, there was no means for these bones to be washed into the cave to their present site through a once dry entrance, or a present wet cenote entrance.

We had a bone sample from one skeleton 14C dated in 1993 by the Center for Applied Isotope Studies in Atlanta GA. I named the skeletal remains as Ekcab, after the name of a primitive group or tribe of Maya that lived in this area of Quintana Roo. The date for this sample resulted in a 8050 +/- 130 years BP (Before Present- a radiocarbon date that begins at AD 1950). This was a pretty cool find. We were not able to date other bone sites though. This was due to out-of-pocket costs, and the ramifications of gringos possessing items of an anthropological nature. So our 14C dating of other remains does not include the "Eve" skeleton as mentioned in the above article.

Cave explorers have found many very old human skeletons in the underwater caves of Quintana Roo. This would include the Chan-hol remains that were discovered just a few years ago. Numerous human bone sites have also been found that cannot be dated through C14 methods; many of these locations are from the more recent Maya period. The photograph included in the article above is from a Maya "burial" site near Coba. Unfortunately this and many other bone sites are located in the present day fresh water aquifer. Obtaining a significant radioisotope date for bones immersed in the fresh water aquifer is very difficult, if not impossible.

Most of the explorers in the area work with INAH researchers without hesitation. Not only is it the proper thing to do, we also consider these finds to be historically significant and in need of in-country professional research and documentation. We are more than willing to help them with their studies! I'm certainly not here to grind an axe in this matter. But I do think it is proper that current researchers give credit to all of those who discover and share their knowledge of the sites in question with the authorities.
Jim Coke
chac
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 26442

Return to Cave Diving Forum