In cave meals?

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: In cave meals?

Postby boogercaver71 » Aug 18, 2008 5:13 pm

I am also a believer in what I think is the perfect cave meal "beenie weinees". Also on a 10 hour+ trip I pack a small thermos of ravioli that I
pre-heated. It is still warm 6 hours later.
boogercaver71
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19471

Postby Mike Hood » Aug 18, 2008 7:54 pm

I've brought in a small sterno can before to cook a hot meal on (and have even warmed up Vienna sausages by candle). However, I usually found it wasn't worth the hassle as I'm usually not in a cave so long that I need a hot meal. But, I will admit the few times that I did were wonderful!
Mike Hood
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Hood
NSS #: 24166RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dayton Underground Grotto and GCG

Postby Grandpa Caver » Aug 18, 2008 9:45 pm

Mike Hood wrote:I've brought in a small sterno can before to cook a hot meal on (and have even warmed up Vienna sausages by candle). However, I usually found it wasn't worth the hassle as I'm usually not in a cave so long that I need a hot meal. But, I will admit the few times that I did were wonderful!

I've had many a can of beanie weinies or beaf stew followed by some instant coffee or hot chocolate heated over a (tea lite) candle. There's nothing like something warm in your belly when your really cold and tired. But that was back in the days when 10+ hour trips were more common for me. Aah, the memories that brings to mind.
Brian Leavell
NSS 21862FE
Grandpa Caver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian Leavell
NSS #: 21862FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby lenslover2003 » Aug 19, 2008 12:35 pm

Hoosiercaver1,

So far,the list of suggestions has been very good. I have tried many of them myself,and liked them.

Depending on the cave,and what we are doing in it,I have really liked the times when I drug along a can of soup,heated it over an Esbit stove,and then dunked regular bagels in it. Hot,salty,and really restores you.There is usually enough for my wife and I to share,and still be satisfied. The slightly bad thing about such a solid meal,is that it takes awhile to digest it. When I do this,I definitely take a couple Pepsids,along with it. Last thing I need,is a nasty reflux in the middle of some god-awful crawl! Plus, it is a fairly heavy and bulky load,but you can smash the can, afterwards. Only you can decide if the meal is worth the weight. The hot cocoa idea is also a great boost,considering how little weight and space it takes.

What I have begun to do lately,is to just eat a hearty breakfast....Then take the Pepsids.....and digest a bit. Digest a bit more,on the way to the cave. Drink enroute,to stay hydrated. Then,make sure ALL of my liquid intake is either Gatorade,or some sports drink. I then take along a few Nature Valley Oat 'n Honey bars. If I really want something different,I bring along a pre-mixed 16 ounce bottle of water,with Muscle Milk additive. The Muscle Milk gives you 300 calories,fast,and it tastes good. Being in liquid form,I figure it must digest a little quicker,and has water in it,to at least help fend off dehydration.

I think of eating as a three stage process . Stuff that gets eaten on the way in,once you are there,and on the way out.

The last thing I carry,depending on the trip,are PowerBar Gel Packs. I get the Tangerine flavor because they are the least nasty tasting of the bunch,and they have 50 MG. of caffeine in them. Being a gooey consistency,they are quickly absorbed,and being mostly simple sugar carbs,amp you up for about 45 minutes to an hour. I consider them to be my last ditch "I can't take it anymore....get me the Hell outta here" food source. I might take 3-4 along with me.

The good thing about using nutritional type supplements is that they seem to work. The bad thing about them,is that they are not things that you have around the house,and can be somewhat expensive. But....I figure if I can afford to drive there,I can afford to take the right food for the job.
Blessed are the cracked......for they shall let in the light.......
lenslover2003
Frequent Poster

Postby YuccaPatrol » Aug 19, 2008 6:04 pm

I've taken a thermos full of ravioli with me on winter trips and really enjoyed it. I haven't done it in a while but just might have to do it again.

I'll also take one or two immodium tablets prior to entering the cave to ensure that I don't have to deal with the inconvenience and mess of hauling out the digested food that I am done with.
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Andrew Mobley
NSS #: 58447
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Postby wyandottecaver » Aug 19, 2008 8:16 pm

My favorites:

1) Nalgene with mix of peanut MM's, raisins/craisins, cheereos, and if I'm feeling sporty, chocolate covered expresso beans. I have in fact used the same nalgene of this mix for up to several months with no ill effects. This is a standard in my pack along with an extra-tall nalgene of water

2) small wide mouth nalgene with beef jerky shredded up into little pieces so I can just dump it in my mouth with a minimum of jaw fatigue chewing. I do this sometimes as a treat

3) the little cans of beans & weenies are good, but I dump 2 of them into a ziplock then into a Nalgene. The cans of fruit cocktail are good this way too. The ziplocks and nalgene can then be used as waste carriers if needed.

4) Once, I backpacked a large size supreme pizza with heat packs inside insulated carrier along with 2 frozen cans of coke (uninsulated). It was a mostly walking trip with a food break 3 hours in. The others thought I had foolishly brought a bunch of extra gear for an easy tourist trip. The other folks looked like wolves as they watched me eat still warm pizza and ice cold coke while they munched on granola bars.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby SpeleoRover » Aug 19, 2008 9:14 pm

I tend to stick with powerbar / Clif bar type foods. I pack what I think I'll need plus 2 extras for emergencies. ProBar makes some really dense meal replacement bars, but they kind of taste like crap (except the berry mix).

I really like Naked juice to sip on as a pick me up on breaks. Cold homemade pizza is outstanding if I've got it.

I really don't do alot of fancy stuff, but it always looks so good when my buddies have it.
Regards,

Jason
Boston Mt. Grotto
NSS#: 58276
SpeleoRover
Prolific Poster

Postby chaz » Aug 19, 2008 10:14 pm

Mmmmmm all this talk is making me hungry!
I have tried many of the foods mentioned here, and I will add that a small sterno will cook up Ramen noodles. I have no trouble finding someone to help finish the warm broth. On my first through trip of Sherfield Cave, I brought Shrimp cocktail for the group as a surprise treat and the group leader topped that off with cherry cheesecake! Fortunately this was after the squeeze at the crack of doom or I'd of had to turn back! Chaz
Respect the past and learn, Be active in the present and enjoy, Contribute to the future in a constructive manner. Chaz NSS 55321
chaz
Frequent Poster

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Aug 19, 2008 11:10 pm

chaz wrote:Mmmmmm all this talk is making me hungry!
I have tried many of the foods mentioned here, and I will add that a small sterno will cook up Ramen noodles. I have no trouble finding someone to help finish the warm broth. On my first through trip of Sherfield Cave, I brought Shrimp cocktail for the group as a surprise treat and the group leader topped that off with cherry cheesecake! Fortunately this was after the squeeze at the crack of doom or I'd of had to turn back! Chaz

alright, it's a deal, if you bring cheesecake this weekend i'll bring ramen and sterno
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby Mike Hood » Aug 20, 2008 5:14 am

I know a caver who swears by cold hamburger patties. He cooks them, then puts them in his fridge overnight.
Mike Hood
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Hood
NSS #: 24166RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dayton Underground Grotto and GCG

Postby caveflower » Aug 20, 2008 6:01 am

Cup o soup. the ones that are in the little pouches. We use a canteen cup and a sterno stove to boil the water. You can warm enough water for a cup of soup and make hot coco or coffee. I found coffee that comes in a tea bag and it taste great not like that insant stuff. Nothing like a warm meal while on a long trip. So hot soup(I like chicken and noodle), :chicken: cheese crackers, hot coco, and some M&M's for desert. yum! A hot fresh cup of coffee in the middle of a cave you can't get any better than that. And all this fits in the canteen cup so its small and light. :exactly:
Caving is fun but people are always more important.
caveflower
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brenda
NSS #: 59462
Primary Grotto Affiliation: IKC EIG ISS NSS

Postby hoosiercaver1 » Aug 20, 2008 7:01 pm

Well I guess the issue of takin the time to warm somethin up really depends on the group you are with. If everyone else is, I guess it wouldnt hurt to warm something up, but I would hate to be the one holding everyone up to make my snack. I have to say, the ramen and the pizza are sounding pretty good, but I dont know if I want to take the time and energy to mess with them.
http://www.hoosiercaving.webs.com

We are Halfway There!!!

Slow caving is Safe Caving!!!
hoosiercaver1
Prolific Poster

Name: John Shultheis
NSS #: 59560
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby SpeleoRover » Aug 20, 2008 7:15 pm

Chaz,

That wouldn't have been Joe R., would it? I had my first in-cave cheesecake in Fitton with him.
Regards,

Jason
Boston Mt. Grotto
NSS#: 58276
SpeleoRover
Prolific Poster

Postby chaz » Aug 20, 2008 7:42 pm

Nope , it wasn't Joe, but he was there to enjoy a taste! bet thats where he got it from!
Respect the past and learn, Be active in the present and enjoy, Contribute to the future in a constructive manner. Chaz NSS 55321
chaz
Frequent Poster

Postby Cody JW » Aug 20, 2008 8:56 pm

I used to buy these small (about the size of a large asprin) heat tabs from the surplus store. They burned a blue flame and could heat a small can of beanie weenies very quick.They were cheap.I think they were made for military use with coffee in the field. Also field meals from the surplus are an option.Nobody will confuse them with Outback Steakhouse but in a cave you cannot be picky.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Forum