Who's Going to the 2008 NSS Convention?

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Who's Going to the 2008 NSS Convention?

Postby Lost » Aug 3, 2008 7:06 pm

I'm in town for Con. Posting live from Ocala
Lost
Prolific Poster

Postby Teresa » Aug 3, 2008 9:33 pm

Missouri has a 61 mile yard sale on US 61 from Jackson to Bloomsdale, and a 125 mile sale in the Bootheel over Memorial Day.

Seems to go with small towns and sweet tea. I'm not a yard saler, but do an events calendar, which is how I found out about this phenomenon.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott Parvin » Aug 4, 2008 4:21 pm

Not that I'm counting, but I'll be pulling out in four days. I'll probably take my time on the way down, maybe even do a little Geocaching. :woohoo:
Scott A. Parvin
NSS 29279 RL, FE
Disclaimer -- Views expressed are mine and do not reflect the opinion of the NSS or Board of Governors.

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character." Albert Einstein
Scott Parvin
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 29279 LF
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham

Postby Squirrel Girl » Aug 4, 2008 4:52 pm

I assume that if I want to go dry caving, that I don't need vertical gear? Don't laugh, I think there are small pits in FL. And there are underwater caves that if they were dry you'd need a rope. I won't have room for vertigear, but I could bring a helmet and Apex for a dry cave.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby durkion » Aug 5, 2008 10:43 am

Squirrel Girl wrote:I assume that if I want to go dry caving, that I don't need vertical gear? Don't laugh, I think there are small pits in FL. And there are underwater caves that if they were dry you'd need a rope. I won't have room for vertigear, but I could bring a helmet and Apex for a dry cave.

It depends on which dry caves you end up going to. While there are plenty of dry caves in Florida that are completely horizontal, there are also many where vertical gear is needed and required by the landowner or land manager. For example, both Warrens cave, and Catacombs which we have video of on the convention web page require vertical gear. While a full frog or ropewalker system is not needed for either cave, you do need to be tied in to a rope with a harness. Other caves in the state do require full gear. I'd say if you dont have room, stick to the horizontal caves. If you've got a little room, throw in a harness and a few prusiks along with that helmet. This will get you in a few more caves then no vert gear at all. Then check out the caving kiosk for which caves you will be able to explore with the gear you brought with you. See you in a few days!!

Cara
durkion
Occasional Poster

Name: Cara
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Florida Speleological Society

Postby Squirrel Girl » Aug 5, 2008 2:21 pm

durkion wrote:
Squirrel Girl wrote:I assume that if I want to go dry caving, that I don't need vertical gear? Don't laugh, I think there are small pits in FL. And there are underwater caves that if they were dry you'd need a rope. I won't have room for vertigear, but I could bring a helmet and Apex for a dry cave.

It depends on which dry caves you end up going to. While there are plenty of dry caves in Florida that are completely horizontal, there are also many where vertical gear is needed and required by the landowner or land manager. For example, both Warrens cave, and Catacombs which we have video of on the convention web page require vertical gear. While a full frog or ropewalker system is not needed for either cave, you do need to be tied in to a rope with a harness. Other caves in the state do require full gear. I'd say if you dont have room, stick to the horizontal caves. If you've got a little room, throw in a harness and a few prusiks along with that helmet. This will get you in a few more caves then no vert gear at all. Then check out the caving kiosk for which caves you will be able to explore with the gear you brought with you. See you in a few days!!

Cara

Thanks for the info. I'll be lucky to have any time at all to go dry caving. I'll be sharing a house with cave divers and plan to bring my diving gear. Plus convention is usually busy for me anyway. But I'd like to do a dry cave, if possible.
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby ellenhof » Aug 5, 2008 2:52 pm

I plan to be there all week, and just signed up for the organized kayaking trip. I'd like to do some open water diving, rivers, ocean, whatever is nicest. I thought I'd see what and who turns up once I'm down there. I don't know much about the area at all.
Ellen (formerly PA, now almost TAG - NC) :kewl:
ellenhof
Infrequent Poster

Name: Ellen Hofler
NSS #: 43665
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse

Postby wendy » Aug 5, 2008 4:09 pm

as far as vertical gear, you really don't need more than a harness, hand ascender with cowtail, and a figure 8 i can only think of a handful of caves here that you would need vertical gear.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby Squirrel Girl » Aug 9, 2008 8:08 am

One hour from now I leave for the airport. Yippie! Hope I haven't forgotten anything critical!

Just a helmet, gloves, 2 lights. Soft core caving for me.

Hope I can lean on my buddies if my dive gear isn't all sorted. It's been nearly a year since I've been underwater.
:scuba:
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby Mike Hood » Aug 9, 2008 8:43 am

Barbara,

Have a great time at convention. Wish I was there with you! :sad:

Mike
Mike Hood
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Hood
NSS #: 24166RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dayton Underground Grotto and GCG

Postby Scott Parvin » Aug 10, 2008 12:06 pm

we just left Bat Cave on stop two of the Geology Field Trip. Its hot, but we're having a great time. I'll post some photos this evening.
Scott A. Parvin
NSS 29279 RL, FE
Disclaimer -- Views expressed are mine and do not reflect the opinion of the NSS or Board of Governors.

Scott Parvin
Prolific Poster

Postby Scott Parvin » Aug 10, 2008 9:19 pm

Scott A. Parvin
NSS 29279 RL, FE

Scott Parvin
Prolific Poster

Postby CaverScott » Aug 11, 2008 3:57 pm

CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby wendy » Aug 11, 2008 8:17 pm

I'm thinking of stopping by this week, are the vedors at the college or the campground?
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby Scott Parvin » Aug 11, 2008 9:34 pm

wendy wrote:I'm thinking of stopping by this week, are the vedors at the college or the campground?

Almost all are at the college.
Scott A. Parvin
NSS 29279 RL, FE

Scott Parvin
Prolific Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Caver Events