Cave Conservation Online starts September 8

Cave conservation issues, techniques, questions. Also visit the NSS Cave Conservation and Management Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Cave Conservation Online starts September 8

Postby Hilary Lambert » Aug 11, 2008 1:54 pm

Hi:

To follow up on an article in the April NSS News, this is an announcement that on September 8 we are launching an online cave conservation course. Please send your email address and contact information to me privately if you or your caving group is interested in participating. Some details follow, and I’ll be happy to answer any questions.

In 2006, the NSS published "Cave Conservation and Restoration," a massive 600-page compendium of hands-on advice for taking better care of the caves we love. The book was edited by Val and Jim Werker, with chapters written by the top cave protection and restoration experts. We would like to open up a two-way conversation about 'cave care', to both share what Val and Jim have compiled and to hear what other groups are doing.

If you are interested in learning how to write and implement a cave management plan, do an inventory of cave and karst resources, carry out speleothem repair, or learn the basics of caver ethics for cave protection and restoration, you will gain a lot from this online venture.

Cave Conservation Online will run for about eight weeks, and will take two to three hours of your time per week or more, depending on your need and interest. I’d advise you to purchase a copy of “Cave Conservation and Restoration” from the NSS bookstore, but that is not a requirement for you to participate.

Thank you
Hilary Lambert
NSS#31439
Karst Environmental Education & Protection, Inc.
Hilary Lambert
Infrequent Poster

Name: Hilary Lambert
NSS #: 31439
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Blue Grass Grotto

Re: Cave Conservation Online starts September 8

Postby wyandottecaver » Aug 11, 2008 5:36 pm

Fees? Registration ?
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Hilary Lambert » Aug 13, 2008 11:01 am

Hi
No, no fees or fancy stuff for this inaugural run of this course.
We're the guinea pigs.
I had planned to set up a big Karst Portal sign on forum with all sorts of bells and whistles, but I think we'll keep this simple and informal. You can just sign up and lurk, if you want.
I and the Werkers have developed a 'course curriculum' based on some of the most pressing conservation/retoration topics in their 2006 book.
We'll introduce ourselves (we have folks signed up nationwide already, and someone from Malaysia), determine who has a particular cave and karst 'problem' they need to have solved (develop a management plan, etc) and then move forward through the topics, asking for help and advice from the experts when needed, and learning what far-flung caver folk are doing to help conserve and protect cave and karst wonders.
Thsi will be very informal, and I think will lead to improved communications and sharing of resources.
How am I qualified to lead this effort? I am a certified cave and karst protection wacko (Co-founder of Karst Environmental Education & Protection Inc) and have taught geography and natural resources conservation for many years at the college level.
Hilary Lambert
Infrequent Poster

Postby graveleye » Aug 14, 2008 8:45 am

Hey I got the book and I'm ready to go... but I need a link so I'll know where to go to sign up!

Kevin
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Hilary Lambert » Aug 18, 2008 2:50 pm

Hi
(Thanks Kevin!) If you are interested in learning more about the Cave Conservation Online course or want to sign up for it, please contact me with your name and email address via a private message. I will send an update to all in a couple of weeks and we'll get started on September 8, so sharpen your digital pencils.
thanks
Hilary Lambert
Hilary Lambert
Infrequent Poster

Postby Evan G » Aug 18, 2008 11:03 pm

Here is the link for Cave Conservation and Restoration edited by Val and Jim Werker Book

I'm very interested in taking this course! Where is the sign up!
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Return to Conservation Forum