Opening at NCKRI for Education Director

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Opening at NCKRI for Education Director

Postby Cheryl Jones » Aug 7, 2008 12:50 am

Dear Friends,

The National Cave and Karst Research Institute (NCKRI) is building its staff by hiring a Director to establish, lead, and coordinate our Education Program. I’m sending you this message because of your interest in caves, karst, and NCKRI. While many of you won’t be interested in the job for yourselves, please forward this note to anyone you think may be interested. You are also welcome to post it on websites and in newsletters.

NCKRI’s interest in education is not just in the traditional classroom sense, but at all levels to include reaching policy-makers, agencies, organizations, and the general public at national and international levels. We’re looking for someone with a strong education background, with an emphasis in the physical or environmental sciences, and the ability to lead and develop effective educational programs. Certainly experience in caves and karst is highly desired. However, applicants with limited cave and karst knowledge but with related experience and a proven ability to learn and adapt well, will definitely be considered.

The job announcement has recently been posted at http://externalweb.nmt.edu/hr/jobs/Assc ... 08-098.htm. The job has also been sent to various education organizations’ magazines and websites. Since some of those won’t be printed until September, we plan to accept applications through mid-October. I will also be out of town much of this time (beginning 9 August), and so if you have questions, please direct them to the contact listed on the website.

The job will be stationed in Carlsbad, New Mexico. When I moved here 18 months ago, several people asked why I would want to live in Carlsbad. In all honesty, I wasn’t sure I wanted to. But when my wife and I took a close look at the town, we found a lot more here than people see when casually driving through. We wouldn’t have moved here unless we were sure we could be happy, and we are. I encourage anyone interested in the Education Director position to come give Carlsbad a good look. It’s a good place to live and NCKRI promises to an exciting future to whoever gets this job.

George

George Veni, Ph.D.
Executive Director

National Cave and Karst Research Institute
1400 Commerce Dr.
Carlsbad, New Mexico 88220 USA
gveni@nckri.org
http://www.nckri.org
001-575-887-5517 (office)
001-210-863-5919 (mobile)
001-413-383-2276 (fax)
***NOTE NEW 575 AREA CODE***
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Re: Opening at NCKRI for Education Director

Postby Cheryl Jones » Dec 23, 2008 1:56 pm

Dear Friends,

I sent the following message a few months ago as The National Cave and Karst Research Institute (NCKRI) began its search to hire a Director of our Education Program. We were in the middle of hiring an excellent person, when family issues arose that made it impossible for her to move to Carlsbad. We are now re-advertising the position. I've slightly updated the announcement below, and we have also expanded the degree requirement so that people with at least a Bachelor's degree in education, science, environmental science, or environmental management may apply. Anyone who applied earlier and meets the new requirements does not need to reapply, but only verify continued interest via the person listed in the website below.

Please feel free to distribute this message to anyone you think may be interested. You are also welcome to post it on websites and in newsletters.

Thanks,
George
--------------------------------------------------------

The National Cave and Karst Research Institute (NCKRI) is building its staff by hiring a Director to establish, lead, and coordinate our Education Program. I'm sending you this message because of your interest in caves, karst, and NCKRI. While many of you won't be interested in the job for yourselves, please forward this note to anyone you think may be interested.

NCKRI's interest in education is not just in the traditional classroom sense, but at all levels to include reaching policy-makers, agencies, organizations, and the general public at national and international levels. We're looking for someone with a strong education background, with an emphasis in the physical or environmental sciences, and the ability to lead and develop effective educational programs. Certainly experience in caves and karst is desired. However, applicants with limited cave and karst knowledge but with related experience and a proven ability to learn and adapt well, will definitely be considered.

The job announcement has recently been posted at http://externalweb.nmt.edu/hr/jobs/Asso ... 08-098.htm. The announcement has also been sent to various education organizations' magazines and websites. Since some of those won't be printed until February, we plan to accept applications through March 15th, 2009. If you have questions, please direct them to the contact listed on the website.

The job will be stationed in Carlsbad, New Mexico. When I moved here 23 months ago, several people asked why I would want to live in Carlsbad. In all honesty, I wasn't sure I wanted to. But when my wife and I took a close look at the town, we found a lot more here than people see when casually driving through. We wouldn't have moved here unless we were sure we could be happy, and we are. I encourage anyone interested in the Education Director position to come give Carlsbad a good look. It's a good place to live and NCKRI promises an exciting future to whoever gets this job.

George

George Veni, Ph.D.
Executive Director
1400 Commerce Dr.
gveni at nckri dot org
001-413-383-2276 (fax)
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Re: Opening at NCKRI for Education Director

Postby Cheryl Jones » Mar 4, 2009 6:49 pm

Dear Friends,

Just before Christmas I sent a message that NCKRI is hiring a director to develop and lead its Education Program. This note is to remind you that all applications are due by the end of business on March 15th. If you or anyone you know may be interested, visit http://externalweb.nmt.edu/hr/jobs/Asso ... 08-098.htm for details and to apply. For questions about the application process and job benefits, contact the person listed on the website. For details about the job itself, feel free to contact me.

Thank you for your attention and interest,

George

George Veni, Ph.D.

Executive Director
1400 Commerce Dr.
gveni@nckri.org
001-413-383-2276 (fax)