New Garmin GPS – How cool!

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

New Garmin GPS – How cool!

Postby jmo » Jan 7, 2006 3:03 pm

Have you seen the new Garmin 60CSx that’s coming out? It looks sweet. The reliability of a Garmin with a expandable memory feature (which Magellan and a few others only offered). Garmin’s topo maps are great and their auto routing software makes finding a place or for directions a dream come true (although it is a little pricey! Yikes).

Here’s a link to check out the specs of the 60CSX –
http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60csx/

Can’t wait to read some reviews when this comes out.
Life is just one good thing after another
NSS 56887
jmo
Frequent Poster

Postby CaveJunkie » Jan 7, 2006 3:33 pm

That sounds pretty sweet... A little over-the-top for your weekend enthusiast, I think. And for $535.00 it BETTER come with a lanyard!! :happy:

I work with a lot of marine Garmin GPS's in the Coast Guard and for the most part they perform exceptionally. The only issue we (Electronic Support Detachment) have had with Garmins is with the screen. They get put through some pretty harsh marine conditions and eventually the salt water takes its toll. I don't see how the screen would become an issue with any handheld device used in most terrestrial conditions....
CaveJunkie
Frequent Poster

Name: James Woulfe
NSS #: 56791

Postby werewolf » Jan 20, 2006 9:43 am

That sounds pretty sweet... A little over-the-top for your weekend enthusiast, I think. And for $535.00 it BETTER come with a lanyard!!

I work with a lot of marine Garmin GPS's in the Coast Guard and for the most part they perform exceptionally. The only issue we (Electronic Support Detachment) have had with Garmins is with the screen. They get put through some pretty harsh marine conditions and eventually the salt water takes its toll. I don't see how the screen would become an issue with any handheld device used in most terrestrial conditions....

I've used a series of Garmins for years. I currently use the Garmin 276C - a marine-land unit - in my vehicle. It is excellent, but I have some problems with Garmin now, namely 1. The horrible points of interest that they choose for their mapping software, like the Garmin City Select that I use. Plenty of Alcoholics Anonymous and Gay Liberation centers and bead shops and the like are listed (I'm serious!), but try to find a gas station or a hospital out in the country! Makes you wonder what's programming their maps for them. And 2 - Garmin's tech support has gone from fantastic to mediocre. Now you have to wait on the phone for about 45 minutes and then the guy who picks up might be surly and know less about it then you do.
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow. --Raoul Duke

You can have a lot of fun with them. If one of 'em gets behind you with the flashing lights, yeah, step on the gas like RD says, and then pretend to be fumbling around trying to hide something under the seat, and then goof off a lot with your hands and arms. Pretend that you have a gun in your hand!

:laughing:

ww
werewolf
Prolific Poster

Return to Equipment Forum