Polypro

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Polypro

Postby BadPirate » Jul 30, 2008 9:15 am

I'm looking for Polypro pants and shirt to wear under my clothing, is this something that Dicks Sporting Goods would have or ? Sorry for all the newbie Q. but this gear is all new to me. Is there a name that it goes by other than Polypro?
Thank you
Brian
BadPirate
Infrequent Poster

Re: Polypro

Postby Scott Parvin » Jul 30, 2008 9:41 am

Hi Brian!

Yes, you can probably find polypro's at Dick's or even at Wal-Mart during or right before hunting season. They go by a lot of different names from thermals to long-underwear. I always keep an eye out right after hunting season and I can usually find some on clearance for about $10 per piece.

I've also seen some good proces at surplus stores. I have a bunch of the Army polypro, but it's a little too thick for my tastes.
Scott A. Parvin
NSS 29279 RL, FE
Disclaimer -- Views expressed are mine and do not reflect the opinion of the NSS or Board of Governors.

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character." Albert Einstein
Scott Parvin
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 29279 LF
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham

Postby BadPirate » Jul 30, 2008 1:50 pm

Thank you, I know now what Im looking for,just making sure we were talking about same thing. Got some that will work I believe in my foul weather sailing gear
BadPirate
Infrequent Poster

Postby hoosiercaver1 » Jul 30, 2008 5:16 pm

The polypros I have are army issue, I agree that they are thick, and sometimes too hot for me. I know you can get them at surplus stores, and I have heard of some people using the under armour. I think works good too.
http://www.hoosiercaving.webs.com

We are Halfway There!!!

Slow caving is Safe Caving!!!
hoosiercaver1
Prolific Poster

Name: John Shultheis
NSS #: 59560
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby mgmills » Jul 30, 2008 6:40 pm

hoosiercaver1 wrote:The polypros I have are army issue, I agree that they are thick, and sometimes too hot for me. I know you can get them at surplus stores, and I have heard of some people using the under armour. I think works good too.

Most "wicking" athletic clothing "under armor", etc. will work. Also - NRS (paddling related company) sells something called "hydroskin" which works very well for caving. It is a bit pricy but if you get on their mailing list you can get some pretty reasonable sale prices from their catalogs. I like the fact that you can get short sleeve tops if you buy the "wicking" clothing instead of the "hunting/army surplus" polypro. Sometimes in wet caving conditions I want the long sleeve polypro but in many TAG area caves I'm more comfortable in the short sleeve tops.

I have two pairs of men's running tights that I bought several years back at Academy Sports (a chain store) which work very well as an under layer for caving.

Also check out places that sell long underwear for snow skiers.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Evan G » Jul 30, 2008 7:41 pm

Ok I'll chime in,

Sorry, I usually don't in depth in something, but poly, capilene, and duofold are good friends. Mainly because I would not be here if it was not for the good young synthetics. Ok the question should be asked:

What is Polypro, Capilene, and Duofold?

Polypro is short for Polypropylene or polypropene (PP): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polypro
A short excerpt from wiki and knowing this to be true from many other resources is:

is a thermoplastic polymer, made by the chemical industry and used in a wide variety of applications, including packaging, textiles (e.g., ropes, thermal underwear and carpets), stationery, plastic parts and reusable containers of various types, laboratory equipment, loudspeakers, automotive components, and polymer banknotes. An addition polymer made from the monomer propylene, it is rugged and unusually resistant to many chemical solvents, bases and acids. Its resin identification code is the number 5 surrounded by a recycling symbol, with the letters "P P" below. Melt processing of polypropylene can be achieved via extrusion and molding.

Many sporting good chains carry this material which in real world applications show a tendency to carry odors after long usage.

The second which is mentioned is Capilene:

Capilene is the clothing company Patagonia's name for its polyester material with a hydrophilic surface finish. Capilene is made out of polypropylene. Capilene's core remains hydrophobic (water repellent). It is used in thermal underwear and in stretch versions where it has been blended with Lycra. It has since then been added into most of their product line. Compared to cotton, the warmth it provides at an equal thickness is much greater. Patagonia recycles used Capilene products.

Capilene is on par with other isolating fabrics such as Gore's Duratherm and Ultra Thinsulate.

From Patagonia website about Capilene: http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/patagonia.go?assetid=10148

Capilene is by far my favorite mainly in real world applications it is durable and odor resistant. I have been at side of a creek with one drop of Dawn soap (camp suds, s@@k) washed the long john bottoms, it work and smell almost as good as when they where new. BTW-Dawn soap is biodegradable; love the stuff and it smells fairly nice (sort of). [Even tho I was doing a some research on writing this reply I questioned the vitality of if Ultra is Bio friendly well here is the MSDS on Dawn: http://www.pg.com/content/pdf/01_about_pg/msds/fabric_and_homecare/dishwashing_products/Ultra_Dawn.pdf the main cutting agent being Ethanol}

Duofold is just another name for Ploypro

:bat sticker: :bat sticker: :bat sticker:

There are other materials on the market.
Last edited by Evan G on Jul 30, 2008 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby Evan G » Jul 30, 2008 7:55 pm

mgmills wrote:Also check out places that sell long underwear for snow skiers.

What, what!!!!!!........ I have never used the stuff!!!!!!!!!!!

OK .... my wardrobe consists of mostly: wool, poly, cap and leather. Hey it is warm and breathes! Forbid I buy stock in GoreTex!

Boy those days are changing, I have a challenge with a good friend Suzanna that we are both moving to Tenn. in 8 months to a year. Hello Cotton!!!!!!
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby InTucky » Jul 31, 2008 9:21 am

Brian I bought my pants ($15) at walmart in the hunting section, there made by remington. I also bought a shirt at walmart in the clothing dept., it's a walmart under armour cold gear knock off...... $10 shirt compared to $40. I've wore both on over 20 trips now, and there still in great condition. :bat sticker:
I don't know how long it is
Yes we have to go back the same way!
Dry Socks.......Gods greatest creation!
InTucky
Frequent Poster

Name: Dustin Tandy
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Greater Cincinnati Grotto

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jul 31, 2008 10:37 am

I don't like polypro because it melts in the drier. Plus it has a plasticy feel. I know someone else who doesn't like it because it hold stink (which can be washed out with special stuff I'd guess, but that's a separate thread).

I have a lot of capilene, but I also like CoolMax and Duofold is good and cheap.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby InTucky » Jul 31, 2008 12:00 pm

Squirrel Girl wrote:I don't like polypro because it melts in the drier. Plus it has a plasticy feel. I know someone else who doesn't like it because it hold stink (which can be washed out with special stuff I'd guess, but that's a separate thread).

I have a lot of capilene, but I also like CoolMax and Duofold is good and cheap.

I've never dried mine in the drier, it will dry by itself in about 1/2hr
I don't know how long it is
Yes we have to go back the same way!
Dry Socks.......Gods greatest creation!
InTucky
Frequent Poster

Name: Dustin Tandy
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Greater Cincinnati Grotto

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jul 31, 2008 1:14 pm

InTucky wrote:I've never dried mine in the drier, it will dry by itself in about 1/2hr
I air dry a lot of my sporting clothes. But I've also melted/shrunk stuff that I didn't know was in there. I mean, I wash a load, and some stuff comes out for air drying, and some goes to the drier. Once in a while, some non-drier item(s) gets hidden in the OK-for-drier stuff. Then I'm screwed.
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby Amocholes » Aug 1, 2008 4:26 am

I have noted the old sweat smell. Even though freshly laundered, as soon as they get a little moist there is a definite aroma of old dirty sweat socks that have been marinating in the bottom of a gym bag for six months or so.
When facts are few and far between, hypothesis defies all logic, as to how an individual came to the conclusion, that the point that they are trying to make, is indeed true and not just the fabrications of a deluded mind.
Amocholes
Prolific Poster

Name: Don
NSS #: 49385
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Stonewall Cavers

Postby Squirrel Girl » Aug 1, 2008 5:25 am

Amocholes wrote:I have noted the old sweat smell. Even though freshly laundered, as soon as they get a little moist there is a definite aroma of old dirty sweat socks that have been marinating in the bottom of a gym bag for six months or so.

We've had a thread in our mtb forum about getting rid of ingrained stink. One gal swears up and down by "Sink the Stink" that's a scuba product for wetsuits. I'll bet it works on polypro. My objection is that you need to take the extra steps and money for cleaning. I'll stick with other stuff now.
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Aug 1, 2008 10:48 am

InTucky wrote:Brian I bought my pants ($15) at walmart in the hunting section, there made by remington. I also bought a shirt at walmart in the clothing dept., it's a walmart under armour cold gear knock off...... $10 shirt compared to $40. I've wore both on over 20 trips now, and there still in great condition. :bat sticker:

this is exactly the same setup i wear, to the letter, for all cave trips dry or wet. both items are a sort of polyester/spandex blend. they wick well and dry quickly.
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby NZcaver » Aug 1, 2008 3:25 pm

xcathodex wrote:
InTucky wrote:Brian I bought my pants ($15) at walmart in the hunting section, there made by remington. I also bought a shirt at walmart in the clothing dept., it's a walmart under armour cold gear knock off...... $10 shirt compared to $40. I've wore both on over 20 trips now, and there still in great condition.

this is exactly the same setup i wear, to the letter, for all cave trips dry or wet. both items are a sort of polyester/spandex blend. they wick well and dry quickly.

I also use a similar combination, although I adjust it depending on the climate I find myself caving in. I've also noticed the tight wicking tops from Wal Mart tend not to hold the stink quite as much as polypro or cotton etc. This is good on multi day caving or backpacking/camping expeditions in close proximity with other people. I find I still need a fleece layer between my inner layer and my suit for most of the cooler cave climates of the north.

A friend loaned me his hydroskin to try on one cave trip, and I have to admit that stuff is pretty damn good. I'd get my own, if I wasn't so good at avoiding cold, wet caves most of the time.

Evan, you can keep your wool and leather for the outdoors. I'm sure they work well, but I'll stick with my GoreTex and other magic synthetic fabrics. :big grin:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Next

Return to Equipment Forum