Who's Going to the 2008 NSS Convention?

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Who's Going to the 2008 NSS Convention?

Postby wendy » Jul 26, 2008 8:18 pm

Teresa wrote:Where is the nearest good beach? Natural as first choice, not crowded as second.
I know, Lake City isn't exactly Destin, but I'd like to spend a day at the beach. (Not the swamps of the armpit of Florida, either.
Thanks.

if you travel east on I-10 you can get to jacksonville, there are some state parks just north of there and south of there as well that are on the beach, maybe takes an hour, no more than 1 1/2 hours.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby durkion » Jul 28, 2008 9:34 am

Teresa wrote:Where is the nearest good beach? Natural as first choice, not crowded as second.
I know, Lake City isn't exactly Destin, but I'd like to spend a day at the beach. (Not the swamps of the armpit of Florida, either.
Thanks.

I'm not sure about the nearest beach to Lake City. I know there are some beaches near Jacksonville, but I have personally never been there and I think it would take you just as long to drive through Jacksonvillle to get to a beach as it would to go a little south to St Augustine. The St Augustine area has some great beaches, plus some very cool history - it's the oldest european settled community in the US. There are a couple of forts you can visit. my favorite is Fort Matanzas. It's this little fort and a national park. free boat ride out to the fort. Both this fort and the main fort in St Augustine are made of coquina - a soft sedimentary rock composed entirely of cemented shells. There are beaches all along this coast. If you want one a little more natural - I like the one near fort Matanzas. It's got natural outcrops of coquina and the beach is made up of the broken cochina rock. Most beaches in Florida get replenished. But they are still nice areas.

I've also heard good things about Fort Clinch state park. This is a little north of Jacksonville. I've been told it's a great place to take kids as the swiming areas are not so rough and during low tide there are some great tidal pools. I have yet to visit this place myself.
durkion
Occasional Poster

Name: Cara
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Florida Speleological Society

Postby Scott Parvin » Jul 28, 2008 11:56 am

It may not be the beach, but I'm going here:

:banana_yay:

http://www.floridastateparks.org/ichetuckneesprings/
Scott A. Parvin
NSS 29279 RL, FE
Disclaimer -- Views expressed are mine and do not reflect the opinion of the NSS or Board of Governors.

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character." Albert Einstein
Scott Parvin
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 29279 LF
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham

Postby durkion » Jul 28, 2008 12:28 pm

Good point Scott. I would recommend the many florida springs over the beaches any day. But if you're going to go to Itchetucknee Springs, may I suggest a weekday. It can get a little packed on the weekend - which you'll find out on the geology field trip.
Cara
durkion
Occasional Poster

Name: Cara
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Florida Speleological Society

Postby Lost » Jul 28, 2008 2:36 pm

I'm planing 4-5 days of cavediving. Won't get much sun there. I wear SPF 5 mil.
Lost
Prolific Poster

Postby Scott Parvin » Jul 28, 2008 3:11 pm

Lost wrote: I wear SPF 5 mil.

I used a 5 mil about 11 years ago. I recently got it out and could only manage to get one leg in it. It's funny how those things shrink with age. :rofl:
Scott A. Parvin
NSS 29279 RL, FE
Disclaimer -- Views expressed are mine and do not reflect the opinion of the NSS or Board of Governors.

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character." Albert Einstein
Scott Parvin
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 29279 LF
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jul 28, 2008 3:20 pm

I wanna dive Little River. OK, so it's just plain fun to coast out on the current! Good times in FL. But then even if you just splash around, those FL springs are be-you-ti-ful! Ginnie's awfully nice, too. But yeah, don't go on a weekend.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Lost » Jul 28, 2008 6:37 pm

Squirrel Girl wrote:I wanna dive Little River. OK, so it's just plain fun to coast out on the current! Good times in FL. But then even if you just splash around, those FL springs are be-you-ti-ful! Ginnie's awfully nice, too. But yeah, don't go on a weekend.
I'm going to do little river during the week.
Lost
Prolific Poster

Postby Teresa » Jul 28, 2008 10:30 pm

I was at the 2003 NCKMS at Gainesville. Boy were we into springs those days! But no beaches. So far, I have been to Chesapeake Bay in April for less than an hour, North Padre Island at 37 degrees in March, Acadia NP (rocks, water temp about 40), Puget Sound (nice rocks, no sand), Santa Monica Beach at 10 p.m. after having been up for 20 hours and got chased by the cops. Never been to a decent, warm sandy beach in my entire life. Oh, and I looked at the ocean off the CA cliffs once when I was 10. I think beaches are all Hollywood special effects, on back lots in the Mojave, but people keep telling me elsewise.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Jul 28, 2008 11:18 pm

Teresa wrote:Never been to a decent, warm sandy beach in my entire life... I think beaches are all Hollywood special effects, on back lots in the Mojave, but people keep telling me elsewise.

Try hanging out in Hawaii for a while. And I mean real Hawaii - not Waikiki. Perhaps some of the remote beaches on the Big Island. That should do the trick. :big grin:

Enjoy Convention. I have to pass on this one. Good luck finding that perfect beach... er, I mean cave. :wink:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby caverdjmoore » Jul 29, 2008 8:46 pm

My girlfriend and I are following the 127 yard sales down from Ohio. It is 630 miles and we think we'll hit abut 580 of them. For some reason my husband has elected to fly :shrug: so we will be picking him up at the Tallahassee airport Sunday.

DebM
Speleosoap
:bat sticker:
caverdjmoore
Infrequent Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jul 29, 2008 9:52 pm

caverdjmoore wrote:My girlfriend and I are following the 127 yard sales down from Ohio. It is 630 miles and we think we'll hit abut 580 of them. For some reason my husband has elected to fly :shrug: so we will be picking him up at the Tallahassee airport Sunday.

DebM
Speleosoap

Some lady in my office stopped by today to tell me that she's doing that for her vacation, but that she only made it to Kentucky last year. I was clueless. I guess this is a "thing" that people do?
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby CaverScott » Jul 30, 2008 7:21 am

caverdjmoore wrote:My girlfriend and I are following the 127 yard sales down from Ohio. It is 630 miles and we think we'll hit abut 580 of them. For some reason my husband has elected to fly :shrug: so we will be picking him up at the Tallahassee airport Sunday.

Sounds like a VERY SMART man! :big grin:
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby caverdjmoore » Jul 30, 2008 9:56 am

Some lady in my office stopped by today to tell me that she's doing that for her vacation, but that she only made it to Kentucky last year. I was clueless. I guess this is a "thing" that people do?

This one started in the Jamestown TN area and grew from there. There are other highway sales, I live close to the Lincoln highway but I think the multi-state 127 was the first one. It is a good way to get people into small rural towns that doesn't have anything else to offer. Apparently there have been a lot of accidents in the past, so communities are opting for large parking lots, vacant fields, fairgrounds, that type of thing. The travel channel showed people hauling u-hauls and tailgating, among other things :laughing:

DebM
Speleosoap
caverdjmoore
Infrequent Poster

Postby caverdjmoore » Jul 30, 2008 9:59 am

[/quote] Sounds like a VERY SMART man! :big grin:[/quote]

Yeah, but I don't know enough about his carbide lamp or antique tool collections to fill in gaps for him, so I will have to concentrate on my collection :big grin:

DebM
Speleosoap
caverdjmoore
Infrequent Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Caver Events