Need info on a Mitchell System

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Need info on a Mitchell System

Postby BadPirate » Jul 24, 2008 10:12 am

I am fairly new to caving. I have heard of the Mitchell System. What do I need to get ? Is the Harness the same for ascending and descending?

Thank You
BadPirate
Infrequent Poster

Re: Need info on a Mitchell System

Postby Tim White » Jul 24, 2008 11:07 am

Take a look here Mitchell Climbing System .
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Jul 24, 2008 1:43 pm

BadPirate wrote:I am fairly new to caving. I have heard of the Mitchell System. What do I need to get ? Is the Harness the same for ascending and descending?

Thank You

Suggest you try before you buy if you can. Try the Frog, Texas and other systems as well. You'll find one that's best suited to you that way and save money in the long run.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby fireman1904 » Jul 24, 2008 9:17 pm

Where are you caving? How deep are the pits... and are they mostly free drops or lots of walls and nasty lips? I have both a frog and a mitchell. I use my Mitchell in TAG mostly and once in a while in a deep 100 foot plus free drop pit here in indiana. Otherwise I frog. I do love my mitchell system though. I can climb pretty deep pits without hardly breathing hard. Not so with the frog. But if you have to climb against a wall or pass a ton of nasty lips the frog is easier to deal with. Not that you cant do it on a mitchell it is just more of a pain. If a mitchell is what you want and you are sure I suggest getting one from On Rope 1. That is where I got mine and so have a few of the other guys I cave with. Its not cheap... and you may be able to piece one together yourself a little cheaper but its nice to just get the whole thing in one package and only have to adjust a couple things to tune it in. And yes the harness is the same. I suggest some type of caving harness made for a frog system... they are more compact and you can always use them for a frog system if you decide you want one of those too. Regular climbing harnesses dont do so well with frog. Hope this helps.
Mike Woolard
NSS# 49891
HCG, ICS, ISS, SCCi, Chattanooga Grotto
fireman1904
Frequent Poster

Name: Mike Woolard
NSS #: 49891

Postby BadPirate » Jul 28, 2008 7:19 am

Thank You, I am just checking things out and getting my research done before I do anything . Hope it keeps the costly mistakes down. I will be going to "OTR" with a friend. She says I can see all the systems there. I have used a On Rope 1 system climbing boat mast once. Again thank you, Hope to learn more and get out more as the Sailing season comes to an end and my new Winter Adventure comes into swing.
BadPirate
Infrequent Poster

Return to Equipment Forum