Green Salamander (Aneides aeneus)

Cave geology, biology, and similar topics. Also visit the NSS Biology Section, or the Cave Geology and Geography Section, or the NSS Paleontology Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Green Salamander (Aneides aeneus)

Postby GypsumWolf » Jun 13, 2008 9:20 am

I was wondering if anyone has found the Green Salamander (Aneides aeneus) in caves located in TAG. If so could you list what caves they have been found in.
Link to website with info on this species.

Here is a nice image from David L. (Click to image make it larger)
GypsumWolf
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Green Salamander (Aneides aeneus)

Postby fireman1904 » Jun 13, 2008 10:09 pm

I was in TAG... Alabama to be exact. We found one in Pipeside Pit near Stevens Gap. It was the only one we saw all week. That was about 2 weeks ago. It was pretty cool.

Credit for pic: Elliot Stahl
Mike Woolard
NSS# 49891
HCG, ICS, ISS, SCCi, Chattanooga Grotto
fireman1904
Frequent Poster

Name: Mike Woolard
NSS #: 49891

Postby wendy » Jun 14, 2008 6:07 pm

I'm assuming this is different than the mostly black with some green salamaders that we call Slimey's...or are they the same?
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby wyandottecaver » Jun 16, 2008 8:13 am

no, the slimey salamander is different. Besides the color differences, they tend to be heavy set salamanders as opposed to skinny
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby latenight » Jun 18, 2008 5:11 am

extremely bad luck if you see one of those in a cave...are guarding spirits of the deceased buried in that cave.
captain cccaaavvvveman
i like caves caves are safe
latenight
Infrequent Poster

Postby ek » Jun 18, 2008 10:53 am

What's wrong with spirits of the deceased? Or is it that the deceased are buried in the cave you're in? I still can't see what's bad luck about either of these things...
Eliah Kagan
NSS 57892
Syracuse University Outing Club

Fund vital White Nose Syndrome research--donate to the NSS and select the WNS Rapid Response Fund.
Facebook users can also donate here.
ek
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Eliah Kagan
NSS #: 57892
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby fireman1904 » Jun 18, 2008 7:59 pm

I guess there was a dead dog in the cave while we were there.... pretty nasty.. so I guess it could have been guarding the dogs spirit... just a thought....
Mike Woolard
NSS# 49891
HCG, ICS, ISS, SCCi, Chattanooga Grotto
fireman1904
Frequent Poster

Name: Mike Woolard
NSS #: 49891

Postby jack.fischer » Jun 19, 2008 9:21 am

I've seen only one Green Salamander in eight years of TAG caving. That was in Cook's Pit in Madison County, AL. It was halfway up the 135 ft pit. Is your interest part of a research project? If so, I may be able to find the photo I took.
jack.fischer
Infrequent Poster

Postby SpeleoRover » Jun 19, 2008 1:17 pm

Naaaah. Sallies are always good luck!

(this coming from a mammalogist).

:kewl:
Regards,

Jason
Boston Mt. Grotto
NSS#: 58276
SpeleoRover
Prolific Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Jun 19, 2008 5:02 pm

LOL speleo. I'm also a mammals oriented biologist. I used to joke with my peers in other disciplines that the animal and plant kingdoms should be combined then divided in two parts, mammals, and food for mammals :) I have yet to see a green salamander though I might have to go looking now!
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby GypsumWolf » Jun 23, 2008 7:45 pm

jack.fischer wrote:I've seen only one Green Salamander in eight years of TAG caving. That was in Cook's Pit in Madison County, AL. It was halfway up the 135 ft pit. Is your interest part of a research project? If so, I may be able to find the photo I took.

I am interested because I would like to know there general cave habits and there general range (more then just a colored range section on a map). I also need to take a photo of one. It is really more of a hobby but good for me to know. I am doing a good amount of biology classes because I am a Outdoor Education Naturalist major in college.
GypsumWolf
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby jack.fischer » Jun 24, 2008 10:08 am

I'll post the photo in a day or two (once I find it) so you can verify the species. I'm curious as to what its actual distribution really is. I read one description that said "locally common." I'm not quite sure what that is supposed to mean since it wasn't in reference to any particular area.
jack.fischer
Infrequent Poster

Postby jack.fischer » Jun 24, 2008 9:19 pm

Taken in Cook's Pit, 31 March 2007.
jack.fischer
Infrequent Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Jun 25, 2008 3:56 pm

locally common is a term used to identify populations that may be abundant in small areas but not across a given range. Long-Tailed salamanders for example may be very common in a particular cave or small group of caves but are not very common across the range of states they occur in.

One suggestion would be to describe the type of area you took the photos or saw the salamander in. I.E. the wall of the pit, near the entrance, in organic debris, wet areas, etc.
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby GypsumWolf » Jun 29, 2008 12:48 pm

jack.fischer wrote:Taken in Cook's Pit, 31 March 2007.

Thanks for the image.

wyandottecaver wrote:locally common is a term used to identify populations that may be abundant in small areas but not across a given range. Long-Tailed salamanders for example may be very common in a particular cave or small group of caves but are not very common across the range of states they occur in.

One suggestion would be to describe the type of area you took the photos or saw the salamander in. I.E. the wall of the pit, near the entrance, in organic debris, wet areas, etc.

Good idea.
GypsumWolf
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Speleology Forum