2008 SERA/VAR

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 2008 SERA/VAR

Postby Scott McCrea » Jun 9, 2008 9:24 am

I think things went well. I had fun. Well, until Sat night. I think someone slipped me a 'mickey.' :yikes: :oops:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Tim White » Jun 9, 2008 11:00 am

Scott McCrea wrote:I think things went well. I had fun. Well, until Sat night. I think someone slipped me a 'mickey.' :yikes: :oops:

So that's were you were...off getting into "trouble". I looked for you all night but must have just missed you. Did you get your jigger set up before gettin' the mickey?
:rofl:
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby Carl Amundson » Jun 9, 2008 11:25 am

It was good to see lots of friends (new and old) at SERA/VAR and do some nice caves that I have not done before. :banana_yay:
Scott, man you must have been 'missing-in-action'. I did not see you at all.
Tim, hope to see you at the er-ncrc weeklong (hint, hint...)
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

Postby George Dasher » Jun 10, 2008 9:46 am

My girlfriend Sarah and I went to the combination VAR-SERA.

I thought it was a great event, although it was a long drive to get there. I had to take half a day off on Friday to make things more acceptable.

We had no troubles with the showers; they worked great when we needed them, and we used the ones in the small ravine.

We had no problems with the organization, but we were surprised that a Saturday supper wasn't included in the price.

The heat was bad, but what can you do about that? We were able to camp in the shade, and were able to check out our replacement camping gear (the 2007 Convention storm was not very good to us!). So we were ok with the shade, and we only got moderately totally drenched in the Friday-night rainstorm.

The awards ceremony was incredibly long and painful; I thought they must have been taken lessons from OTR.

We rode the Virginia Creeper Trail on Saturday and went to the Gray Museum on Sunday. Both were things I've wanted to do for a long, long time. Both were excellent, especially the bike ride.

Wish I could have done the geology field trip, but oh well... Can't do it all.

:kewl:
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Postby Komebeaux » Jun 10, 2008 2:30 pm

I agree with most of the assessments on the site being just too big. I had a great time, but felt like I had walked about 10 miles through the campground by the end of the weekend. I also encountered the duce in the shower on Sunday morning and stuck a chair in the doorway in hopes that it kept other showerers from wandering in there. Then, in the next stall I selected, I noticed someone had cut a "peep hole" in the tarp that divided the showers. :roll:

I know it's easy to point out the bad stuff but I also would like to acknowledge all the hard work that the organizers did in putting together this event. I saw staffers running around all weekend keeping things operating. Also, huge kudos for that guidebook. That's one of the nicest event guidebooks I have ever seen. Tons of nice maps, descriptions, and pictures.
Komebeaux
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Danny Cumbo
NSS #: 58430

Postby VACaver » Jun 10, 2008 6:30 pm

I did have a good time and appreciate what the organizers went through to make it happen.

Two great trips (Perkins and Hancock), fun in the evenings, and a large collection of vendors made for a great time.
VACaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Patrick

Postby Komebeaux » Jun 10, 2008 7:36 pm

Yeah, we did Hancock Cave on the way home Sunday. Very nice cave. Wish we had more time to see it all.
Komebeaux
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Danny Cumbo
NSS #: 58430

Postby Cheryl Jones » Jun 12, 2008 2:25 pm

How many people attended? Anyone know?

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby xcaverx » Jun 12, 2008 2:31 pm

Cheryl Jones wrote:How many people attended? Anyone know?

Cheryl

I don't know the official figure, but it was around 480.

--robbie
xcaverx
Occasional Poster

Name: Robert S. Spiegel
NSS #: 45206
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Mountain Empire Grotto

Postby cavemanjonny » Jun 14, 2008 11:25 am

I personally had a great time! It was a little spread out I suppose. I'm guessing the area where we camped was similar in size to the TAG site. I think there were plenty of people there, we just weren't packed in all that densely. All in all though, I had a great time. Thanks MEG!
cavemanjonny
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 56510

Previous

Return to Caver Events