New Rechargeable batteries: Eneloop

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: New Rechargeable batteries: Eneloop

Postby werewolf » May 26, 2008 1:55 am

http://www.thomasdistributingshop.com/K ... -1021.html

Kodak, 4 for $7.97

Hmm, it says they have a life of "over three years"... What's the lifetime of regular rechargeables?

"One Kodak AA Low Discharge Battery has a battery life of over 3 years when recharged between 1 and 100 times during the year. ( Battery stored at a temperature of 75° F)"
werewolf
Prolific Poster

Postby NZcaver » May 26, 2008 3:25 am

The Rayovac Hybrids still seem to be a "new" (and therefore current) item at http://www.rayovac.com/

You can purchase them directly from their website too, although they're even more expensive than REI. :yikes:

I've purchased about 5 packs of the Rayovacs in the last 9 months or so, but if the cheaper sources for them (Wally Mart) are starting to dry up I might need to pick up some more. I guess those Kodak batteries are the same technology, so I wonder if this 3-year life expectancy applies to all similar batteries?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby YuccaPatrol » Jun 2, 2008 8:56 am

If you can't find Sanyo Eneloops, the Duracell "Pre-Charged" AA's being sold at Wal-Mart are actually re-badged Eneloops. Just check to see that they have white tops and are made in Japan and not in China.
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Andrew Mobley
NSS #: 58447
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Postby jack.fischer » Jun 23, 2008 4:12 pm

Costco has carried Eneloop batteries for the past few months. At least until a few weeks ago they carried two separate packages: 1) a kit with AA and AAA batteries, a charger and C-cell sized adapters for the AAs and 2) a multi-pack with AA and AAA batteries only. I don't remember the precise quantities but the unit price seemed reasonable so I bought one of each. I've been very satisfied with their performance.
jack.fischer
Infrequent Poster

Postby paoconnell » Jul 27, 2008 10:25 am

I have a set of Eneloop batteries that I bought from Costco about 3 months ago. For what it's worth, I think I'll keep alkalines in my MiniMag for now, and will use Eneloops in my main headlamp and my hiking GPS. :gotdark:
Take nothing but pictures
Leave nothing but footprints
Kill nothing but vandals
paoconnell
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 13878RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sandia Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Jul 27, 2008 4:22 pm

YuccaPatrol wrote:If you can't find Sanyo Eneloops, the Duracell "Pre-Charged" AA's being sold at Wal-Mart are actually re-badged Eneloops. Just check to see that they have white tops and are made in Japan and not in China.

We picked up one of these Duracell AA charger packs at Wal-Mart last week, but I'm not sure if the batteries are made in Japan or China. The pack includes a 6-hour charger and four 2000mAh AAs, and cost about $17. I was pleasantly surprised to find the charger is a worldwide voltage model (100-250 VAC, 50/60 Hz). This will be used by family in NZ to go with a new camera, so I'll check in with them later in the year to see how it's working out.

NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum