pure spectra/dyneema cord (AGAIN)

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

pure spectra/dyneema cord (AGAIN)

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Apr 28, 2008 3:37 pm

I know this topic has been discussed before, but has anyone successfully located a source for the 5mm pure spectra cord recommended for use in caving footloops by Al Warild? The fact that we can't seem to get this stuff in the states has been driving me crazy.

@ I know IMO had some at one point, and that Mark Passerby and Scott McCrea had bought some from there. But I talked to Nina and she said she wouldn't be getting any more. This drives me crazy insane, since both Mark and Scott have told me how their frog stroke is much more efficient with a zero-stretch footloop and how great these are.
@ Black Diamond, the importer for Beal, doesn't appear to import this particular product, confirmed via an email to Black Diamond and by having a friend who works for an outdoor outfitter contact her BD rep.
@ Spectra seems to be used in several marine applications, but not with a kernmantle construction.
@ MTDE sells two types of pre-made spectra footloops specifically for caving, but with the current exchange rate and shipping cost I figured out it would be $47 for me to order one! I can't see spending $47 on a footloop (to replace one that cost me $0) and then attaching it to a $58 ascender.

@ I see the 5.5mm Bluewater and Beal stuff online in various places, but it's a blend, not the pure stuff.
@ I have found Dyneema/Spectra/HMPE core kernmantle rope/cord, but in all cases it has a polyester sheath, which defeats the purpose of Spectra's abrasion resistance for caving use.
@ I see super lightweight stuff everywhere - hollow core for ultralight tent lines, braided for lifting bear bags, etc etc. But nowhere is there 5mm kernmantle spectra core, spectra sheath cord like that shown here on Beal's site.

Am I just going to have to give up on ever finding this?
:doh:
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Re: pure spectra/dyneema cord (AGAIN)

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Apr 28, 2008 4:23 pm

at http://www.BU56.com (Spain), the Beal cord can be purchased for $3.95 USD per meter (plenty for the cord portion of a footloop), and the MTDE Trasion Simple footloop can be had for $12.13 USD. but shipping adds $24 to the cost of either! ouch!

at http://www.expe.net (France), the Beal cord is 2.80 Euros per meter, but i can't read enough French to fumble my way to the checkout and see a shipping cost. =)

am i missing another international speleovendor that will ship to the states at an exorbitant cost?
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby kip » Apr 28, 2008 4:34 pm

http://www.donaghys.co.nz/vectranbraids.html#vectran

I use this stuff (in NZ).

I think its a bit of a nonce 100% versus a sheath of another flavor over a meter I don't think you'll see any difference and if you do it might be a few mil's (oops 16ths of an inch). Mine in are in Vectran and polyester (which is pretty damm static any way) and i cant see any stretch in them and i'm very fussy. I sew eyes in my cord and use a 12mm dyneema foot stirrup (i find 6mm cord a bit harsh under the hoof with heavy loads). By putting the tape join under your hoof you get the bit of stiffness required to make it easy in and out of the footloop. I also add a small 3mm (1/8) gauge stainless ring at the top of the foot loop where it connects to the cord it gives a nice tidy clip in point to keep the footloop up on harness (worth the weight for the improvement in tidiness). If you've got the access to a friendly structural machinist or gear manufacturer i can get this all done to a spec of about 10 kN very handy for the toolbox in rescue events and short on toys department.
Void (n) voyd
1. the state of non existence
2. an empty area or space
Question: do caves really exist then?
kip
Occasional Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Apr 28, 2008 5:43 pm

I am currently using some 5.5mm high strength cord. Not even sure who makes it (Sterling, I think). It's just whatever the local climbing shop sells by the foot. It's about a $1 per foot. Performance is similar to the pure spectra stuff. Well, the spectra might be a little more flexible. But I don't notice any difference in stretch.

Kip, Any chance you could post a pic of the ring set up. I'm not sure I am imagining it properly. Sounds very cool tho!
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby kip » Apr 28, 2008 6:30 pm

url http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v aVGP5BS img http://www.postimage.org/aVGP5BS.jpg /img /url

its quick but should do
Void (n) voyd
kip
Occasional Poster

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Apr 28, 2008 6:56 pm

I got spectra cord from a ships chandlers, it doesn't have a sheath but so far stands up to cave punishment quite well. As the footloop is not required to be a rated item I don't have any problems using cord from a chandlers.

kip wrote:<snip>... and use a 12mm dyneema foot stirrup (i find 6mm cord a bit harsh under the hoof with heavy loads). By putting the tape join under your hoof you get the bit of stiffness required to make it easy in and out of the footloop.

This is pretty much how I do my footloop as well, :kewl: I don't have sewn eyes just knots and my spectra cord is a little longer than it needs to be which gives me enough length that I can convert to a Mao for heavy lifting or rescues.
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby kip » Apr 28, 2008 7:44 pm

yachting shops are great thats where get my spectra and my 8mm static hahaha great for light tours
Void (n) voyd
kip
Occasional Poster

Return to Equipment Forum