Cave Exhibits at Aquariums?

Cave geology, biology, and similar topics. Also visit the NSS Biology Section, or the Cave Geology and Geography Section, or the NSS Paleontology Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Cave Exhibits at Aquariums?

Postby Sean Ryan » Dec 29, 2005 2:00 pm

I'm sure some aquariums have set up exhibits of aquatic cave life (ideally with ongoing research as well), but I don't know of any offhand. Google shows a few random mentions of blind cave fish on some aquarium web pages, but nothing to really indicate a particular aqarium has a section reserved for them. I'd imagine inland aquariums might be better at this task, since they don't have the entire ocean to cover in addition to little freshwater weirdo mutations.
Sean Ryan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wendy » Dec 29, 2005 10:43 pm

Its not an aquarium and not sure if they had anything on blind crayfish in the exhibit, I can't remember from when I was there, but maybe someone else here as been.

Anyway here is a link to the Florida Museum of Natural History located in Gainesville. They have a cave exhibit.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/nwfla/cave.htm
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby Teresa » Dec 31, 2005 9:12 pm

I was at Aquarena Springs in San Marcos Tx. today--live exhibits of Texas blind cave salamander, Mexican cave tetra, and the cave shrimp from the Edwards Aquifer which they feed to the rathbuni salamander.

There is also an exhibit of cave tetra in the Living World at the St. Louis Missouri Zoo.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Speleology Forum