Bhoonda Tyrolean anyone?

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Bhoonda Tyrolean anyone?

Postby Buford Pruitt » Dec 27, 2005 9:55 am

All you need is a horse saddle, a couple of sandbags, and a rope:

http://tinyurl.com/bmzbv
Buford Pruitt
Frequent Poster

Postby Phil Winkler » Dec 27, 2005 10:31 am

Isn't that the same thing we used to do at Fall Creek Falls? :)
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Amazing!

Postby Squirrel Girl » Dec 27, 2005 1:40 pm

Hey Buford! You might wanna give a little more hint as to why we might like to look at that article. It's amazing! :o

Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Hatch » Dec 27, 2005 2:05 pm

I realize it would still take a daredevil type to do it, but with that much weight on his ankles I don't think he was in as much danger of falling off as you'd think. I'd be more worried about stopping safely. Actually, I wouldn't worry cause I wouldn't do it. Heh.
Hatch
NSS# 56765

http://hatch.blogspot.com
Hatch
Prolific Poster

Name: J. Alan Hatcher
NSS #: 56765
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby Buford Pruitt » Dec 27, 2005 2:45 pm

My apologies, Barbara. :oops: I guess I'm just so used to the financial forums where gurus just post links rather than whole articles that I figgered the link would be good enough here, too. The next time, I'll at least post the pic. That is indeed one kewl pic. :lol:
Buford Pruitt
Frequent Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Dec 27, 2005 3:06 pm

I didn't mean to chastise you exactly. Only that you found something way cool, and I almost didn't look at it at all. Then I was so glad I did! It's amazing! :grin:

Thanks!
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby itabot » Dec 27, 2005 7:22 pm

:crazy:
itabot
Frequent Poster

Postby RescueMan » Dec 28, 2005 8:34 pm

itabot wrote::crazy:

Hey, is it any stranger than BASE jumping or bungee jumping or, for that matter, the annual Bridge Day event?

http://www.wvbridgeday.com/

"When Bridge Day arrives, more than 200,000 people converge over the course of the day to take part the day-long festival. BASE jumpers parachute off the New River Gorge Bridge diving 876-feet into the New River Gorge below. Rapellers descend on ropes like caterpillars beneath the mighty bridge."

aVERT
a Vertical Emergency Response Training
to aVERT disaster in the VERTical environment
RescueMan
Prolific Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Dec 28, 2005 10:21 pm

Loved this line:

".....while his wife readied herself for widowhood. She wailed and beat her chest as her husband performed the feat."

Here's another article that gives more details. http://www.newkerala.com/news.php?actio ... s&id=73658

It says he's riding a saddle, "with his hands dangerously untied." !!! And amazingly, he wove the 200m rope himself from grass. :shocked:

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby Squirrel Girl » Dec 28, 2005 10:51 pm

Cheryl Jones wrote:It says he's riding a saddle, "with his hands dangerously untied." !!!
Imagine THAT! Tying sand bags to your hands and your feet. All limbs draped down, spread eagle, faced up or down, and sliding down the rope. I think I'd rather have my hands dangerously untied, too.

You know, reading this quote, "Minutes before the event, Singh had said: 'I have no fear, the deity will protect me from harm,'" makes me think of the snake handlers. They both seem to be subjecting oneself to harm, expecting god to save them. At least the rope slider has a little more control. And the audience can get a more spectacular view. Glad the deity protected him.
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby Buford Pruitt » Dec 29, 2005 9:55 am

I have woven short sections of thin twine from dried Spanish bayonet leaf fibers. It is tedious and time-consuming. I wonder how much time Kanwar Singh spent making his rope? The article did say "he had been preparing for the past couple of years" for his 15 minutes of fame. I'll take nylon kernmantle any day! :lol:
Buford Pruitt
Frequent Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Dec 29, 2005 2:31 pm

Imagine THAT! Tying sand bags to your hands and your feet. All limbs draped down, spread eagle, faced up or down, and sliding down the rope. I think I'd rather have my hands dangerously untied, too.

It didn't occur to me that "untied" meant not tied to sandbags! That would be scary. I'd read it as him not riding with his hands tied together....behind his back, for example....which I thought would be more dangerous than riding with his hands free.

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Return to On Rope!