New to Caving in Georgia

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

New to Caving in Georgia

Postby candrewss » Mar 21, 2008 10:50 am

I am new to the Caving thing and I am looking for some good places to go in Georgia? If you have the grid coordinates (long and Lat) or address that would help as well.

Thanks
Chris
NSS #60633
candrewss
Infrequent Poster

Name: Chris
NSS #: 60633
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Re: New to Caving in Georgia

Postby cavemanjonny » Mar 21, 2008 10:57 am

Welcome to cavechat candrewss, and congratulations on taking an interest in caving! What part of Georgia do you live in? Your best bet in getting in to some new caves is probably to start caving with someone in your area. I think you'll find that you wont be successful in directly asking for coordinates to caves. Most cavers are pretty wary about handing cave locations out to people that they don't know. That being said, most cavers are also friendly people who are perfectly willing to take you along and show you the caves themselves!

Getting involved with a local grotto is a wonderful way to learn about new caves. Grottoes are caving clubs and are generally the best place to meet other cavers in your area. You can find your local grotto by going to the following page: NSS Grotto Locator.
cavemanjonny
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 56510

Postby cavemanjonny » Mar 21, 2008 11:04 am

You might also want to check out this thread: Want to find a cave? Start here!.
cavemanjonny
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby candrewss » Mar 21, 2008 11:09 am

I never relized that the locations were so hushed. No wonder I have not been able to find any locations on line. I have only been to one in North GA by the Tennesse Line. I live in Decatur a burb of Atlanta.
Chris
NSS #60633
candrewss
Infrequent Poster

Postby cavemanjonny » Mar 21, 2008 11:20 am

candrewss wrote:I never relized that the locations were so hushed. No wonder I have not been able to find any locations on line. I have only been to one in North GA by the Tennesse Line. I live in Decatur a burb of Atlanta.

Yeah, you're unlikey to find anything online :-). You're in luck though, you live in Dogwood City Grotto territory. The DCG is very big and very active and has a lot of very knowledgeable cavers who can get you underground. I would suggest going to their next meeting, which should be described somewhere on their website. It might be a little intimidating showing up at a grotto meeting without knowing anyone (or not, if you're the outgoing type), but you should persevere and stick it out. Undoubtedly you'll meet at least one or two people who'll invite you on a trip. After that, you're in!

If you're ever up in the Chattanooga area, PM me and I can try to get someone (if not me) to take you caving. The Chattanooga Grotto is very beginner friendly.

Be warned though, make sure you have a helmet and at least one helmet mounted light and one or two backup lights. Most cavers view these as the absolute minimum amount of gear you need before they'll take you underground. If you don't have these, you can probably borrow a helmet and headlamp from someone, but you'll definitely need to get your own gear eventually.

Good luck!
cavemanjonny
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby candrewss » Mar 21, 2008 12:16 pm

Great info. I appreciate all the help. I have all the equipment. It was one of the great things about being ex military, I never do anything unprepared.
Chris
NSS #60633
candrewss
Infrequent Poster

Postby ek » Apr 1, 2008 1:12 am

candrewss wrote:It was one of the great things about being ex military

If you go vertical caving, however, I would recommend against the carabiner wrap rappel... :big grin:
Eliah Kagan
NSS 57892
Syracuse University Outing Club

Fund vital White Nose Syndrome research--donate to the NSS and select the WNS Rapid Response Fund.
Facebook users can also donate here.
ek
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Eliah Kagan
NSS #: 57892
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby graveleye » Apr 1, 2008 8:22 am

I totally missed this topic!!! :doh:

You should come out to the next meeting of the Dogwood City Grotto - which is... tonight!! I know - it's a little short notice.
But we meet every first Tuesday of the month at the REI store at Clairmont and I-85. That's not far from Decatur at all.
If you can't make this one, come to the next one.

Starts at 7pm. Check out the link to it in my tagline. We will be happy to have you there.

Kev
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby candrewss » Apr 2, 2008 7:44 am

Thanks for letting me know about the meeting. It was informative. I plan on doing as many of the trips as possible.
Chris
NSS #60633
candrewss
Infrequent Poster

Postby graveleye » Apr 2, 2008 8:43 am

hey I saw you signed the guest book. I didn't see you though... I'm the PR chair and still don't know who everyone is so it's sometimes hard for me to figure out who is a guest or not. If I would have seen you I would have introduced myself.

Well I want to thank you for coming out. That was a pretty good program last night - I wasn't expecting it so it must have been a last minute thing. I knew a little about the SKRT but that was really informative. I wish I could make the next cleanup but there will always be more.

If you're looking to cave more, your best bet is to go on a trip or two with us. They have some good ones coming up. It's pretty easy to get to know these folks, especially when you're caving. We try to be as welcoming as we can but it's not always easy especially when we have a large crowd like last night. But remember you are welcome any time, and we're always glad to have guests and new members.

See you next time,
Kev
ad astra per aspera

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby cavemanjonny » Apr 2, 2008 9:21 am

graveleye wrote:I knew a little about the SKRT but that was really informative. I wish I could make the next cleanup but there will always be more.

SERA Karst Task Force (SKTF)?
cavemanjonny
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Apr 2, 2008 9:31 am

HAHA...my bad. You are correct. I was typing something and thinking something else. That's what I get for posting while at work.
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby candrewss » Apr 2, 2008 10:18 am

I sat on the side by the canoes. I was taking it all in.
Chris
NSS #60633
candrewss
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum