Waste bag

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Waste bag

Postby GypsumWolf » Mar 13, 2008 1:35 pm

GypsumWolf
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Waste bag

Postby Adam Craig » Mar 13, 2008 2:00 pm

Only one way to find out :nannabooboo: :lmao:
I'm spiralling down to the hole in the ground where I hide - R. Waters
Adam Craig
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 48556
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Shallow Grotto

Postby Scott McCrea » Mar 13, 2008 2:04 pm

WildWolf wrote:Would this be good to use inside a cave?

I would think it would be bad to use one in a cave. It may perform just fine, but if I was needing one, things would be bad.

Also, my burrito kit costs a lot less than $11.00.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Mar 13, 2008 3:25 pm

I dunno about burrito bags, haven't ever had the need to use one (thank goodness) but I do highly recommend these http://www.traveljohn.com/1-1-1.php Especially for lady cavers. The liquid solidifies once it comes in contact with the contents of the bag. Once done it is not supposed to leak out, but I'd still recommend(ed) that they bring a gallon ziploc bag just in case. But the lady cavers I know who have used them swear by them.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby NZcaver » Mar 13, 2008 5:49 pm

Yes, in my experience the Restop 2 (and the Restop 1) work well for caving.

I used several over the course of a few days underground, then packaged them up carefully in a small dry bag in the middle of my pack for the trip out. However I agree with Scott's comment about finding cheaper alternatives. After that one expedition I made up my own version which I'm guessing cost me a dollar or so. And yes, I have successfully used my one on a more recent cave trip as well.

I disagree with the statement that if you have to use one, things must be bad. Haven't you heard? Sh*t happens! :rofl:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Lava » Mar 14, 2008 9:09 am

The best burrito kit (IMHO) has these layers:

1 - kitchen-size trash bag w/a dash of baking soda in it (makes for a large "landing zone" yet rolls up small)
2 - freezer-type gallon size ziploc
3 - another freezer-type gallon size ziploc
4 - stick that in one of your xtra small dry bags and you're good!
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce White
NSS #: 39223
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Francisco Bay Chapter

Postby NZcaver » Mar 14, 2008 9:19 am

Lava wrote:The best burrito kit (IMHO) has these layers:

1 - kitchen-size trash bag w/a dash of baking soda in it (makes for a large "landing zone" yet rolls up small)
2 - freezer-type gallon size ziploc
3 - another freezer-type gallon size ziploc
4 - stick that in one of your xtra small dry bags and you're good!

:exactly:

I also find it good to tape the bottom of my kitchen-sized bag into the bottom of my inner freezer bag. And don't forget a small wad of TP and maybe one of those little single-sheet wet wipes packets ready to go in the outer bag. Or is that too much information? :wink:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Lava » Mar 14, 2008 10:15 am

NZcaver wrote::exactly:

I also find it good to tape the bottom of my kitchen-sized bag into the bottom of my inner freezer bag. And don't forget a small wad of TP and maybe one of those little single-sheet wet wipes packets ready to go in the outer bag. Or is that too much information? :wink:

Right, forgot about that. I give myself 8 squares of TP. If I need more, well, I'm SOL (pun intended).
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby YuccaPatrol » Mar 14, 2008 10:57 am

Call me anal retentive, but I've taken a preemptive immodium pill before going caving to prevent the use of such things.
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Andrew Mobley
NSS #: 58447
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Postby Lava » Mar 14, 2008 9:50 pm

YuccaPatrol wrote:Call me anal retentive, but I've taken a preemptive immodium pill before going caving to prevent the use of such things.

Wow, that sounds extremely uncomfortable! And probably not a good idea for multi-day trips...
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Wayne Harrison » Mar 14, 2008 10:40 pm

I don't take one before but I carry them in my first-aid kit. I've actually used them on trips a couple of times when the beef jerky I ate started acting up. I've also handed them out to fellow cavers who had problems.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby ron_miller » Mar 15, 2008 8:54 pm

For multi-day trips, I found the Restop2 had a limited capacity for solid waste (it's not intended for liquid waste). At least a few years ago when I last used it (it's possible it's been re-designed), I experienced a couple of minor primary containment failures (small tears) at the seam where the inner bag is attached to the outer bag when squeezing down the Restop2 with 2 - 3 days waste in it.

I've switched over to the Wag Bag, which is similarly priced, but designed for multi-day use, and is similar to Bruce's solution, except I've found the outer bag to be much less odor permeable than ziplocs. Perhaps it's the "Poo Powder" - after all, with a name like Poo Powder, it's got to be great!

Regardless, if the bag is going to be subjected to any abuse and you really want it to survive intact and odor-free (on the outside, at least), I am in complete agreement with Bruce in using a small dry bag for the outermost containment. I usually dump a bit of baking soda in that dry bag, just to absorb any minor odors. May seem a bit extreme, but I spent five hours exiting a cave once with a caver who didn't pay that much attention to detail regarding these issues, and . . .
well, suffice to say it was not an enjoyable experience. :yikes: :hitsfan:
ron_miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Mar 16, 2008 12:29 am

ron_miller wrote:For multi-day trips, I found the Restop2 had a limited capacity for solid waste (it's not intended for liquid waste). At least a few years ago when I last used it (it's possible it's been re-designed), I experienced a couple of minor primary containment failures (small tears) at the seam where the inner bag is attached to the outer bag when squeezing down the Restop2 with 2 - 3 days waste in it.

That's the problem, Ron - as I'm sure you know, the Restop is really designed as a one-shot deal. For your next poo, you're supposed to use a new bag. :wink:

The Wag Bag looks like a nice alternative.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby mae » Mar 16, 2008 9:44 am

I've switched over to the Wag Bag, which is similarly priced, but designed for multi-day use, and is similar to Bruce's solution, except I've found the outer bag to be much less odor permeable than ziplocs. Perhaps it's the "Poo Powder" - after all, with a name like Poo Powder, it's got to be great!

So, if the Poo Powder is really the stuff that makes the Wag Bag great, wouldn't it be cheaper just to buy the powder and use garbage/Ziploc bags, especially if using a dry bag?

http://www.thepett.com/index.php?PageLayout=PRODUCTS&headerID2=39&pageID=101
mae
Frequent Poster

Return to Equipment Forum