NSS Bookstore: Suggestions Please!

NSS News, other caving publications, and books.

Moderator: Moderators

NSS Bookstore: Suggestions Please!

Postby kelli1992 » Feb 5, 2008 4:22 pm

KELLI DAVIS IS YOUR NEW NSS BOOKSTORE SUPERVISOR!!! :waving: :kewl: :woohoo:

As of February 1, 2008, I will be overseeing the day-to-day business of the NSS Online Bookstore and the Bookstore that we have here at headquarters in Huntsville, Alabama.

So my first order of business is to ask for your feedback and suggestions about the bookstore :cavechat: . let me know if you would would like for us to carry a certain publication, or you may want to see more on a certain subject. Now is the time to let your voice be heard!!! :waving:

KELLI@CAVES.ORG
Last edited by kelli1992 on Feb 6, 2008 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
kelli1992
NSS Office

Name: KELLI DAVIS
NSS #: 59143

Re: SoUnD oFf AbOuT tHe BoOkStOrE

Postby Squirrel Girl » Feb 5, 2008 6:58 pm

I don't like the titles of a half dozen threads on Cavechat shouted in ALL CAPS!
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Re: SOUND OFF ABOUT THE BOOKSTORE

Postby mgmills » Feb 5, 2008 8:10 pm

kelli1992 wrote:KELLI DAVIS IS YOUR NEW NSS BOOKSTORE SUPERVISOR!!! :waving: :kewl: :woohoo:

As of February 1, 2008, I will be overseeing the day-to-day business of the NSS Online Bookstore and the Bookstore that we have here at headquarters in Huntsville, Alabama.

So my first order of business is to ask for your feedback and suggestions about the bookstore :cavechat: . let me know if you would would like for us to carry a certain publication, or you may want to see more on a certain subject. Now is the time to let your voice be heard!!! :waving:

KELLI@CAVES.ORG

Kelli, thanks for asking the NSS members here on this board for input. It is good of you to try to understand what your customers want. :banana_yay:

I wish I had more money to spend on books and more space to keep them. The bookstore has lots of books I'd love to have on my shelves.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Squirrel Girl » Feb 5, 2008 9:37 pm

I agree with Martha that it's an excellent thing to want to serve the members by knowing what they want. It's just a little overwhelming to be shouted at.
:cavingrocks:
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby Illinois Caver » Feb 5, 2008 10:31 pm

Just wanted to Thank Kelli for taking over the reigns! She helped me out with some things I had ordered a couple weeks ago. She responded quickly and before I knew it I getting what I need in the mail. Great Job Kelli!! And much continued success in your new position! :thanks:

-Troy J. Simpson
NSS #45667RL
Near Normal Grotto
Troy J. Simpson
Near Normal Grotto
NSS #45667RL
W9KVR
Illinois Caver
Frequent Poster

Name: Troy Simpson
NSS #: 45667
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Near Normal Grotto

Postby Scott Shaw » Feb 6, 2008 8:42 am

It's been a while since I stopped by. Where's Stephanie?
Alabama Cave Survey - Cave Files Director (Send me your new caves and updates)
Scott Shaw
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 30571
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alabama Cave Survey

Postby kelli1992 » Feb 6, 2008 11:22 am

:big grin: Sometimes you need to shout to be heard, but this time that was not my goal. However, I am very excited about my new position with the NSS. I hope that you don't think of me of some kind of bookstore drill instructor, shouting orders out through the forum. I just wanted everyone to feel the same excitement I am feeling about the future of the NSS Bookstore.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: (Round of Applause Please!)

This store could be such a great asset to this organization, and it has kind of sputtered along in the past few years, but I am here to "crank it up" and bring it back to greatness. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana_yay:
kelli1992
NSS Office

Postby Squirrel Girl » Feb 6, 2008 11:39 am

kelli1992 wrote:I hope that you don't think of me of some kind of bookstore drill instructor, shouting orders out through the forum.

:rofl:

Hah, hah! That's not what I thought.

After I posted I realized that my posting probably came off a little terse. Then, the more I thought about it, I got to thinking about someone saying to me, "How would you like someone saying something like that to you?" Then I realized people say that kinda stuff all the time to me! That's why I dish it back. However, it probably doesn't come across the same way when it's someone new who shows up suddenly--and across the web instead of in person.
:sorry:

Anyhoo, it's generally best use all caps sparingly. When I first logged on, I thought a spammer came through and I had a bunch of work to delete a bunch of crap. Then I saw it was legitimate.

For your information, we discourage the same posting getting posted in multiple fora. It almost looked like that's what you were doing. Then I read, and you did ask different questions. So all is well. But I thought I'd let you know from an educational perspective.
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Re: NSS Bookstore: Suggestions Please!

Postby kelli1992 » Feb 6, 2008 11:44 am

See, my posts are working! You are helping me to better serve the Society, so thank you. That is the kind of stuff I need to know. :woohoo: :cavingrocks:
kelli1992
NSS Office

Postby Cheryl Jones » Feb 6, 2008 11:55 am

Not to worry, Stephanie is still Operations Manager. She manages our accounting, databases, renewals, and office operations overall. :bow: It's a huge job so Stephanie and I asked Kelli to take on the responsibility for the Bookstore, in addition to her other responsibilities. (read: "promotion"!) As you can see, she's full of enthusiasm, energy, and ideas! :banana:

Kelli has been on the staff for about 18 months -- many of you have met her at Convention, SERA Cave Carnival, TAG Fall Cave-in, over the phone, or in the office if you stopped in for a visit.
Cheryl Jones
NSS OVP
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby Scott Shaw » Feb 6, 2008 2:21 pm

Cheryl Jones wrote:

Not to worry, Stephanie is still Operations Manager. She manages our accounting, databases, renewals, and office operations overall. :bow: It's a huge job so Stephanie and I asked Kelli to take on the responsibility for the Bookstore, ink addition to her other responsibilities. (read: "promotion"!) As you can see, she's full of enthusiasm, energy, and ideas! :banana:

Kelli has been on the staff for about 18 months -- many of you have met her at Convention, SERA Cave Carnival, TAG Fall Cave-in, over the phone, or in the office if you stopped in for a visit.

Cool :kewl: Congrats Kelli!
Alabama Cave Survey - Cave Files Director (Send me your new caves and updates)
Scott Shaw
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 30571
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alabama Cave Survey

Postby Tom Gilleland » Feb 9, 2008 2:30 am

I would like to see some cave maps for sale at the bookstore. Maybe just stock some of the classics.
Tom Gilleland
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 26508
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Southern Arizona Grotto

Postby Cheryl Jones » Feb 9, 2008 1:27 pm

Hi Tom!

Cool idea, if the owners of the maps (cartographers) would give or sell copies to us. We couldn't copy maps on our own and sell them, for we don't own or share the copyrights.

If you know of anyone who might agree to produce their map/s for sale through the bookstore, chat 'em up, and let us know.

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
NSS OVP
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Return to Publications