Potter Unit - NSS Preserve to xfer to US Fish and Wildlife

Cave conservation issues, techniques, questions. Also visit the NSS Cave Conservation and Management Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Potter Unit - NSS Preserve to xfer to US Fish and Wildlife

Postby Ray Keeler » Jan 26, 2008 12:41 am

Hello everyone,

I am the Administrative VP of the NSS and our cave preserves fall in this department.

The Potter Unit NSS Preserve was given to the NSS for Management as an NSS Preserve in 2003 for the safety of the Ozark Big eared bat. This bat is on the US Endangered species list. The US Fish and Wildlife Service (US G&F) was unable to accept the donated property at the time and the NSS accepted stuardship of the proprerty. US G&F policies have changed and the they are now able to accept the property. Access to the cave is currently closed to protect the bats. The last bat count showed that the cave was the hybernaculum of approximately 10% of the known species.

My motion on the NSS Board Of Governors Spring BOG meeting (March 14th) to allow the NSS to transfer the cave to the US G&F for long term management of the cave and this endangered species.

The local area grottos have maintained long term and excellent relations with US G&F and the current property manager, Steve Hensley (US G&F employee) is an NSS member.

I am looking for comments, questions and concerns about transferring the ownership of the cave by NSS members, and the 187 acre parcel to the US G&F.

If you would like to contact me indepentdently, I can be reached at Ray Keeler rckeeler@cox.net

Ray Keeler
Administrative VP
NSS
Ray Keeler
Occasional Poster

Re: Potter Unit - NSS Preserve to xfer to US Fish and Wildlife

Postby wyandottecaver » Jan 26, 2008 8:49 am

Ray,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to comment. I have several questions as do others I am sure, but it might save time if Is there a management plan or other documentation that is available for review to give background on such areas as the original circumstances of transfer, whether the cave is closed seasonally or year-round, details of the remaining acreage, upkeep costs like taxes etc.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Jan 26, 2008 12:30 pm

Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby Ray Keeler » Jan 26, 2008 2:05 pm

Hi Wyanndotte Caver,

Please send me an email at rckeeler@cox.net and I will forward some documentation. There is also a nice description of the property on the NSS Preserves page.

Also in the original post, my abbreviation for the US Fish and Wildlife Service should have been USF&WS.

thanks,

Ray
Ray Keeler
Occasional Poster

Return to Conservation Forum