2008 SERA/VAR

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

2008 SERA/VAR

Postby caverwoody » Jan 16, 2008 11:04 am

The dates for the combined SERA Summer Cave Carnival, and Spring VAR are wrong on the calender they are actually set for June 6-8 in Bristol TN Hosted By Mountain Empire Grotto.
I'll see you underground
caverwoody
Occasional Poster

Name: Mark Woods
NSS #: 51797
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Mountain Empire Grotto

Re: 2008 SERA/VAR

Postby Carl Amundson » Jan 16, 2008 11:07 am

I thought it was going to start on the 5th?

From the website:http://www.caves.org/grotto/meg/
Updates: We've extended our schedule to accommodate early arrivals on Thursday, June 5.
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

Postby caverwoody » Jan 16, 2008 12:29 pm

It does the 5th is the thursday and we don't mention it much, because that will be "mostly" the check in day. There will probably be hardly any activity on that day other than early arrivals.
I'll see you underground
caverwoody
Occasional Poster

Postby Carl Amundson » Jan 16, 2008 3:28 pm

caverwoody wrote:It does the 5th is the thursday and we don't mention it much, because that will be "mostly" the check in day. There will probably be hardly any activity on that day other than early arrivals.

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure I will not be turned away at the gate on Thursday.

Is there a pre-registration form available yet?
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

Postby caverwoody » Jan 16, 2008 3:33 pm

we are working on getting all the registration forms together as soon as we get them up and posted I will let you know
I'll see you underground
caverwoody
Occasional Poster

Postby CaverScott » Jan 17, 2008 8:44 am

caverwoody wrote:The dates for the combined SERA Summer Cave Carnival, and Spring VAR are wrong on the calender they are actually set for June 6-8 in Bristol TN Hosted By Mountain Empire Grotto.

As Junkman thought, and so did I, if you post the dates of the event as June 6-8 you are telling cavers that you can not come any earlier than June 6th. :yikes: You might want to reconsider that. With this years SERA being on the "outskirts" of TAG, I think making everyone aware that you can arrive on June 5th is a very important PR move.

Just a thought to ponder. :cavingrocks:
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby caverwoody » Jan 17, 2008 9:09 am

this was just an over site on my part, and for that I am sorry If you all need the updated info and what is going on within the grotto reguarding the event you can find all the updates regularly on our web site http://www.caves.org/grotto/meg.
again for this oversite I am sorry posting.php?mode=reply&f=12&t=6150#
:sorry:but to make it perfectly clear the 2008 joint SERA/VAR is on June 5th- June 8th at Bristol Campground almost straight across the high way from the world famous Bristol Motor Speedway "the worlds fastest half mile"

Actually If you want to show up earlier than thursday this is ok to we will be camping available at a comercial cavern just a couple of miles from the campground. The thing about Bristol is there is so much to do and see if you are not caving. We have the Worlds largest earthend dam at Holston Lake just a matter of miniutes away, there are two really good comercial caverns just minuites away and I know for sure one of them if not both of the give discounts for NSS members. There also are great white water rafting in the area as we4ll as fishing. Oh yeah there is also great caving to do as well I think there will be a early arrival list of local caves that are easy to locate that will be available for those of you who just want to come up and make a whole week vacation of the event.posting.php?mode=reply&f=12&t=6150#
:thanks:
I'll see you underground
caverwoody
Occasional Poster

Postby caverwoody » Jan 17, 2008 9:20 am

to answer junkman's question about the pre-registration we are hoping to have it up and out by the end of next week. so keep an eye out for the post and update on the qweb-site as well as SERA and VAR web pages.posting.php?mode=smilies&f=12#
:looking:
I'll see you underground
caverwoody
Occasional Poster

Postby mgmills » Jan 17, 2008 10:04 pm

caverwoody wrote:to answer junkman's question about the pre-registration we are hoping to have it up and out by the end of next week. so keep an eye out for the post and update on the qweb-site as well as SERA and VAR web pages.posting.php?mode=smilies&f=12#
:looking:

Will vendor registration be available then too? My husband sometimes vends at events in the TAG area and is considering SERA. . . . Also, I was talking to another vendor today who was not even aware of the SERA/VAR dates.

I visited your website and would suggest that you put a link for contacting a staff member for questions not readily answered on the website.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby caverwoody » Jan 17, 2008 10:24 pm

I will find out and let you know as soon as I can
I'll see you underground
caverwoody
Occasional Poster

Postby caverwoody » Jan 18, 2008 10:08 am

If you have any questions and can't find the answer on the web-site, go to the members page and our club members are listed with thier e-mail address the Chairman is listed first and he can probably answer any and all questions any one has.
I'll see you underground
caverwoody
Occasional Poster

Postby Captain Caveman » Jan 19, 2008 11:13 pm

ON Average what does an event like this usally cost??. And do you have to camp to be able to take adavantage of the hole weekend. I live less than 10 Minutes from the campground.
Mike D'Angelo

NSS# 59507
Captain Caveman
Occasional Poster

Postby caverwoody » Jan 20, 2008 7:20 am

the price will be on the registraion form whichis being finalized as I'm writing this. As far as the camping goes It is my understanding that the registration fee is the same weather you stay at the campground or not. But from past experiences you miss so much not being at the campground. You should try to come to our monthly grotto meeting next month, since you live so close to the campground. we will be meeting at Appilacian Caverns the second tuesday of each month at 7:00.
I'll see you underground
caverwoody
Occasional Poster

Postby Captain Caveman » Jan 21, 2008 6:35 pm

Cool sound great. i know i need to make it to your meetings. I talk to wes combs alot on myspace and robert spiegel through email. i will try my best to make it next monthly.
i live right behind Bristol Caverns
Mike D'Angelo

NSS# 59507
Captain Caveman
Occasional Poster

Postby reeffish1073 » Jan 21, 2008 7:29 pm

this event is going to be great, ive personally met alot of the guys and gals working to get it going, and they have put alot of thought into makeing it a great event. hope to see some old friends there and make some new ones too!

john

:bat sticker: :patriotic2: :bat sticker:
John Christie
NSS-58065
Chair / Conservation Chair
Flittermouse grotto
Russell County Director VSS
reeffish1073
Prolific Poster

Name: john christie
NSS #: 58065
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse grotto