Type of Crawlsuit

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Type of Crawlsuit

Postby akcaver » Jan 12, 2008 12:11 am

Hey Everyone,
Ive used just a regular crawlsuit in the past, but it was tight (im a stocky guy) and ripped out the seams in quite a few places. Im in the market for a new suit, and wanted opinions of PVC-coated vs regular non-coated. I cave mostly in wet, muddy florida caves, but go on the occasional TAG outing. I am involved in a cave research project that requires me to spend a considerable amount of time in a wet muddy cave that is mostly low crawls, and an almost constant 20 degrees C (68 F), so getting cold is not a factor. Ive heard that the PVC suits are like steam rooms, but have no experience. Any help?
Cheers,
Andrew
akcaver
Infrequent Poster

Name: Andrew Kowalczk
NSS #: 57507
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cave Diving Section

Re: Type of Crawlsuit

Postby wyandottecaver » Jan 12, 2008 3:50 pm

PVC and/or coated suits are certainly warmer. I liked my Petzl but they aren't made anymore. I now use meanders and they are OK. much cooler.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby nordicjw » Jan 12, 2008 4:52 pm

Andrew, The type of caving suit is really a personal choise. I have a Lost Creek deluxe that the company adjusted some of the measurements for a more custom fit. I also have a Meander from IMO. Neither of these have a PVC coating.
I tend to sweat, so I need all the breathability possible. I've been in the same caves with other cavers wearing PVC coated suits. It's comes down to what is your personal preference.

I'd be as concerned as to the material of the suit, the stitching, double layers in the knee and seat, and the fit as I would the coating of the fabric.

You can always add and subtract layers under the coveralls to better fit the cave your entering, even a wetsuit.

If you go to the search box in the upper right corner and try coveralls or caving suit, you should get alot ot previous chat on this subject to go thru.

Hope this helps some. :cave softly: :patriotic2:
nordicjw
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 56861
Primary Grotto Affiliation: ccg

Postby akcaver » Jan 14, 2008 9:20 pm

What are your opinions of the Lost Creek Deluxe? Thats the suit im most interested in at the moment, ive heard great things about it. I think the PVC would be too hot and sweaty, as I also sweat alot.
akcaver
Infrequent Poster

Name: Andrew Kowalczk
NSS #: 57507
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cave Diving Section

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Jan 14, 2008 11:24 pm

akcaver wrote:What are your opinions of the Lost Creek Deluxe? Thats the suit im most interested in at the moment, ive heard great things about it. I think the PVC would be too hot and sweaty, as I also sweat alot.

if you sweat a lot then you definitely don't want the rubber ducky suit.

As for the LC coveralls, you'll find people who like Meander more than Lost Creek and you'll find people who like Lost Creek more than Meander. Anmar is a good guy and you can't go wrong with the LC, in my opinion.
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby Amocholes » Jan 15, 2008 4:56 am

I've been using a set of Lost Creek for almost 10 years. They've held up well although the waterproofing started flaking off of the inside almost immediately. They provide good friction when trying to hold yourself up when climbing a narrow canyon. I've never used the built in hood which is folded into the collar. The additional nylon over the butt and knees is a definte plus and mine shows little wear. The pockets over the knees are large and help protect the knees and upper shins. I cut pieces of 1/2" closed cell foam to fit the pockets. The velcro closure is on the bottom edge of the pockets so you don't collect mud and gravel in the pockets. The straps across the back of the knee hold the pads in place but tend to rub a bit on long trips. I have gotten a blister now and then from the friction. The 2 chest pockets are a little small to actually carry anything in. There is also a long narrow pocket running up the forearm of the left sleeve. I usually keep a small flashlight in it for easy access. A mini-mag will fit but is a bit tight. The zipper and velcro closure have never given me any problems. If I remember, mine are a size large and fit me pretty well. (6' & 195#) They are a bit more snug than when I first got them. They allow good movement and seldom ride up. They also retain body heat pretty well.

After almost 10 years I've had to make a few repairs. Had to resew a few seams that pulled out and some of the velcro at the ankles was coming loose.

They've been a good investment and I wouldn't hesitate to get another set when these finally give out.
When facts are few and far between, hypothesis defies all logic, as to how an individual came to the conclusion, that the point that they are trying to make, is indeed true and not just the fabrications of a deluded mind.
Amocholes
Prolific Poster

Name: Don
NSS #: 49385
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Stonewall Cavers

Postby chaz » Jan 17, 2008 11:09 pm

Check this out!...I'll try to attach a picture. I got a cheap pair of cloth coveralls and trimmed them down to a comfortable shorty. then I took it down to a seamstress and had her make me a one piece out of 1000 deneri nylon. I got some wide stretchy suspender material for the shoulders and it works great! I wear it over tights and I'm always comfortable.Been on some long crawls and it's proved to be durable. Everything dries fairly quick. (If anyone goes commercial on this one....remember my cut :wink: )
Respect the past and learn, Be active in the present and enjoy, Contribute to the future in a constructive manner. Chaz NSS 55321
chaz
Frequent Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Jan 18, 2008 7:55 am

Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby ArCaver » Jan 18, 2008 8:18 am

chaz wrote:Check this out!...I'll try to attach a picture. I got a cheap pair of cloth coveralls and trimmed them down to a comfortable shorty. then I took it down to a seamstress and had her make me a one piece out of 1000 deneri nylon. I got some wide stretchy suspender material for the shoulders and it works great! I wear it over tights and I'm always comfortable.Been on some long crawls and it's proved to be durable. Everything dries fairly quick. (If anyone goes commercial on this one....remember my cut :wink: )

You may have to split that cut. :wink: I remember DT talking about finding a seamstress to do the same a few years back. It sounded good to me so I cut off some of my coveralls and tried to get my wife to make a clone from Cordura but she got busy with other things and never got around to it. She did eventually make me some shorts to wear over polypro, but no top yet.
ArCaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby chaz » Jan 20, 2008 10:27 am

Hey now! I resemble uh resent that mario thing! Well come on! I donn't even have a moustache!

( Thanks for the laugh Scott ) Chaz
Respect the past and learn, Be active in the present and enjoy, Contribute to the future in a constructive manner. Chaz NSS 55321
chaz
Frequent Poster

Return to Equipment Forum