Petzl parts?

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Petzl parts?

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jan 4, 2008 6:12 am

Years ago I bought a Duo. I was warned that, despite the manufacturer's claims, it wasn't waterproof/water resistant. I got it with a 21 LED inset that Alex sold. It's been a great lamp.

Then, I dug it out the other day, it was covered in mud, so I washed it. Sure enough, the water coming out of the faucet killed the lamp. I am fortunate enough to work with a bunch of EEs, so I've had a couple of them working on it. The second guy, who built his own LED biking light (wow! 3 giant Seoul bulbs) seems to be taking care of me. He speculated that the switch might be bad.

So my question is, can one buy replacement Petzl parts? Hank?
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Re: Petzl parts?

Postby NZcaver » Jan 4, 2008 9:50 am

Not the answer you need, but for what it's worth your switch problem is a known issue with older Duos.

One of my Duos has a slightly touchy switch, but thankfully the rest have been fine - including the one I bought new in 2000 which I used as my primary for ~6 years before going to the Apex.

Hank should know the answer to your question.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby hank moon » Jan 5, 2008 12:32 pm

Squirrel Girl wrote:So my question is, can one buy replacement Petzl parts? Hank?

hey squoil!

yes, replacement parts can be bought...just send me a pic of what you need and i'll see whether we gots it in the whse.

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jan 5, 2008 6:16 pm

hank moon wrote:
Squirrel Girl wrote:So my question is, can one buy replacement Petzl parts? Hank?

hey squoil!

yes, replacement parts can be bought...just send me a pic of what you need and i'll see whether we gots it in the whse.

Hiya Hank, You've been quite the stranger around these parts lately. Welcome back! :waving:

I have a good EE working on it. But if he fails to repair the light, I'll be sure to get back with you. One guy measured something that said the switch wasn't completely dead, but they're still tinkering. The one guy wants me to put a Seoul LED in it!

Thanks!
Squoil
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Jan 6, 2008 12:39 am

Squirrel Girl wrote:.... but they're still tinkering. The one guy wants me to put a Seoul LED in it!

Say yes! Say yes! the Seoul LEDs are the ones the upgraded Sten's get and they are some pretty good LEDs, if they want to put one in for you I'd tell them to go for it :kewl:

I'm intruiged how they might go about cooling it though because the Duo case is pretty much closed up. I've been thinking about a Duo with Seoul or Cree LEDs for a while but I think I might try making my own case eventually...
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby David Grimes » Jan 6, 2008 12:46 am

Say yes! Say yes! the Seoul LEDs are the ones the upgraded Sten's get and they are some pretty good LEDs, if they want to put one in for you I'd tell them to go for it

Especially the new ones they are claiming 420 lumens out of one bulb. Now that would be a caving light!!!
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jan 6, 2008 7:00 am

I don't have the link here (and it's not googlable), but I'll post a picture when I get back to work with the light my co-worker built with the *3* Seoul bulbs--for mountain biking.

He had what looks like an aluminum housing--rectangular with little cubicles for each bulb.

He said it cost him very little in parts, but took 8 hours to build. I am not skilled at all in electronics. If someone shows me *exactly* what to do, I can do actions as well as the next person. But I have to be shown *exactly* what to do for each step. I'm not sure anyone has that much patience to help me!
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Jan 8, 2008 11:24 pm

Opps :oops: Sorry SG I read that as "One guy wants to put a Seoul LED in it" and not what you actually said ie "wants me to put a Seoul LED in it" :sorry:
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Return to Equipment Forum