Brunton Pocket Transit

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Brunton Pocket Transit

Postby rchrds » Sep 6, 2005 9:23 pm

Okay- this is for you long time surveyors out there.

I have reached the end of my rope- and it did not have a knot. :shock:

Over the years I have had most of the compass/clino combinations available, from the standard single piece Suunto, to the dual Suunto with prizms (my current) and other off-brand versions.

Unfortunately, I have had the same problem with all of them. You see, I sump dive. A lot. And then invariably survey on the other side. I keep the instruments in a dry container through the sumps so that they are dry on the far side, but invariably they become either completely (for short periods) or intermittently submerged through low air space areas, or the 100% humidity and/or sloppy operation by various operators (I always sketch) seems to reduce their effective use period to about 4-6 hours before either the lenses fog or become completely obscured with debris. I figured the removable lenses would be the ticket when they first came out, but quickly realized that they suffer the same problems as the rest- and that I could carry a bunch of q-tips, but once the lense is out to clean, I'm one foot down the slippery slope, as the remaining q-tips become soggier and soggier. I then moved to the prizm model, but found to my dismay that mud and water still manage to get between the bezel and the prism. One would figure that it would be attached in such a manner as to preclude this. Not true.

So- to get to my point :!: I have an old Brunton pocket transit- of the old non-waterproof type. I have always thought it easier to sight in most cases- particularly when a station is placed so that it is difficult to get behind (yes, yes that can sometimes be avoided). It appears that the newer models are somewhat :!: waterproof :?: Could this be? I would be interested in anyone's experienced related to the newer com-pro models or the older PTs in general-

And this might be a great time for folks to chime in with their tricks of the trade for waterproofing and maintaining the Suunos for the newer surveyors!

8)
rchrds
Prolific Poster

Name: Jason Richards
NSS #: 41539
Primary Grotto Affiliation: None at the moment

Re: Brunton Pocket Transit

Postby Scott McCrea » Sep 7, 2005 12:27 pm

rchrds wrote:And this might be a great time for folks to chime in with their tricks of the trade for waterproofing and maintaining the Suunos for the newer surveyors!

I put super clear packing tape on my Suunto Tandem. Cover the eye pieces and everything. It's not water tight, but definitely keeps the mud and drips out.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Dan Straley » Sep 8, 2005 11:03 pm

J, as Scott points out about the tape.. I think that I have a roll of Mylar Tape.. It's a special tape that's more like a rubber sealant. Your Bird's mechanic might have a roll too. You'll only need a piece, if that's the route you want to take. Remind me and I'll bring you some next time I see you.

Dan
Dan Straley
Infrequent Poster

Postby itabot » Sep 8, 2005 11:13 pm

I haven't tried it but what about Rain X Anti-Fog or some kind of anti-fog for glasses? Maybe that would keep it from fogging up.
itabot
Frequent Poster

waterprooof compasses

Postby Philip Moss » Sep 11, 2005 9:31 am

I have had the same problem with the Suunto prismatic compasses. However, I have used a Silva prismatic (now marketed with a Brunton name on it) for over 10 years is some pretty wet places without it ever fogging or otherwise being difficult to read. It comes self-illuminated but that is a waste of money since the battery area is not waterproof.

I also own a waterproof Brunton transit. I seldom use it, but it has proven to be waterproof. Transit compasses are more difficult to train someone to use and I seem to need three hands to read the clinometer in a cave.

Last I saw, Brunton had two waterproof models. One that annnounced its waterproofness (?) in its name that was relatively pricey and another with a plastic body that said that it met a military specification for being waterproof. I have the latter. It has some features that make it easier to use in low-light conditions.
Philip Moss
Philip Moss
Infrequent Poster

Postby rchrds » Sep 13, 2005 8:15 am

Dan- the issue is not fogging on something that could be covered with tape. With the Suunto- every model that I have ever used- the water eventually seeps between the aluminum housing and teh plastic insert- this eventually covers the outside of the plastic dial housing with mud and humidity- there is no way to completely seal it with tape. I have seen folks use clear silicone and completely seal the crack between the dial and the housing, but you still get some water in the sight. THEN you might be able to use the mylar tape with good results. I am just suprised at the prismatic ones- I would have sworn that the prism was completely sealed to the face of the dial- but it is not.

Philip thanks for the comment on the transit- I think that i will be trying one of the new waterproof ones out. Figures that the silva would be a better unit. Dang. I can teach myself and my survey partner C to use it the transit. She's a smart girl- and shes also the one that does the most bitching when the instruments finally go bad. :wink:

J
rchrds
Prolific Poster

Name: Jason Richards
NSS #: 41539
Primary Grotto Affiliation: None at the moment

Return to Equipment Forum