GPS Questions

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

GPS Questions

Postby Cody JW » Nov 13, 2007 9:46 pm

I am planning on purchasing a GPS.Right now I just want a simple one that i can just punch in latitude and longatude and have it take me to the spot.I have seen the Garmin e trex for about 100 bucks.I also saw several other more expensive ones.I was wondering if anyone can tell me the differences betweeen the less expensive ones and the 400 dollar ones. I suspect the diffrences is features such as altimiter( I do not need one i already have one) and ability to down load onto maps ect.If all I want to do is the simple stuff will the etrex be ok or do I need to consider a more expensive model?
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby wyandottecaver » Nov 13, 2007 10:09 pm

I have had both the etrex (cheap) and 60Cs ($$$) the main differences are memory, ability to upload maps, and color screens. My experiance is that you really want to be able to upload topos and the color screens in the newer garmins actually use LESS battery power.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Amazingracer » Nov 13, 2007 10:25 pm

The etrex is a good model. The cheap one has no click-stick so you navigate everything (and type) with an up or down button. The next model up the etrex scale has the click stick.

As far as reception and what not goes. The etrex worked fine with me, only catch is they are patch antennas so they need to be held horizontal for the best reception. As opposed to the 60Cs that have quad helix antennas so they get best reception vertical. Any garmin that has an x at the end (60CSx), has the new chipset to improve reception and accuracy, just fyi.

The 60Cs are the top of the line, and are good units. If you are looking to simply mark cords then the yellow etrex should do fine. But if you want to do more then the flood gates open for options.
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kyle Gochenour
NSS #: 58846
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Nov 14, 2007 1:12 am

NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Komebeaux » Nov 14, 2007 8:47 am

Check out the Garmin Foretrex 101.

It's made to mount on you wrist, it's cheap, and it can be used for what you are looking to do.
Komebeaux
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Danny Cumbo
NSS #: 58430

Postby bsaul2000 » Dec 3, 2007 3:12 pm

Personally I look for gps units that can hook up to a computer and allow me to transfer points back and forth. That has not only been helpful, but a lot of fun to centralize my trips locations or caves on a program like TopoUSA. Usability is a factor in my opinion. A couple of friends have the Magellan explorist 210 and for my taste, I don't like it at all. They love it. The Garmin has always been more straight forward to me and seem to be designed in a user friendly manner.

The only problem I see with a cheap one is if you plan on growing to do other things. For you, it might be fine.

Ideally, if you could use one for geocaching for a few days, it would help you figure out the features you like and need. Geocachers are really mini-experts in gps technology.
bsaul2000
Infrequent Poster

Postby werewolf » Dec 4, 2007 12:03 am

More about GPS than you want to know:

http://gpsinformation.net/
werewolf
Prolific Poster

Postby SpeleoRover » Dec 4, 2007 8:17 am

May be more than you want to spend, but the Garmin GPSMap 60 is a fantastic piece!
Regards,

Jason
Boston Mt. Grotto
NSS#: 58276
SpeleoRover
Prolific Poster

Postby Komebeaux » Dec 4, 2007 2:42 pm

bsaul2000 wrote:Personally I look for gps units that can hook up to a computer and allow me to transfer points back and forth. That has not only been helpful, but a lot of fun to centralize my trips locations or caves on a program like TopoUSA. Usability is a factor in my opinion. A couple of friends have the Magellan explorist 210 and for my taste, I don't like it at all. They love it. The Garmin has always been more straight forward to me and seem to be designed in a user friendly manner.

The only problem I see with a cheap one is if you plan on growing to do other things. For you, it might be fine.

Ideally, if you could use one for geocaching for a few days, it would help you figure out the features you like and need. Geocachers are really mini-experts in gps technology.

I think virtually all GPS units can be hooked to t PC and transfer points.
Komebeaux
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Danny Cumbo
NSS #: 58430

Postby David Grimes » Dec 4, 2007 2:53 pm

I think any GPS is way better than no GPS the real issue is that hooking your GPS to a computer to upload points in most cases requires you to buy extra software in most of the cheap units allot of the more expensive ones come with this software.

You can save a little money if you are willing to manually input the points and your coordinates your wanting to visit.

I bought a Magellan Explorist on clearance for $65 and it does not connect to a computer but all I want it to do is save cave locations for future reference and it does that very well and is rather accurate I also get the coordinates off the GPS and enter them in on google earth and pin the locations on my computer for backup purposes.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby YuccaPatrol » Dec 12, 2007 8:52 am

The Garmin 60 series units are great, especially the "x" units that have the sirf-star III chipset that makes them keep a signal lock even under heavy tree cover.

If you get a mapping unit, a friend might be able to install topo maps for free because those are the only maps Garmin offers that are not locked.
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Andrew Mobley
NSS #: 58447
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Return to Equipment Forum