Rechargeable batteries

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby NZcaver » Nov 27, 2007 1:54 pm

Lithium Ions are great batteries. Unfortunately, it's my understanding they're not yet available in a 1.5 volt, AA size cell. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I like how my new Fenix flashlight will accept any AA size cell which puts out anywhere from 1-4 volts. So I can use alkalines, NiMHs, or 3v lithiums and 3.6v Li-Ions (but I don't have a charger for the latter yet). It's really nice to have this flexibilty, and I wish it applied to more devices out there right now.

I do not want to become a slave to custom Lithium Ion packs and no other option, which I why I seldom buy any portable device that won't accept AA or AAA batteries (especially for caving).
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby werewolf » Nov 28, 2007 10:17 am

LI's sound intriguing. I bought two more packs of those hybrids. the Walmart rebate sale is on until 12/31/07.
werewolf
Prolific Poster

Postby NZcaver » Nov 30, 2007 4:22 pm

werewolf wrote:I just noticed that Walmart still has a $5 rebate offer on 4 of these great batteries, 2 aa's and 2 aaa's for $9 and change - so you buy two packs and you get 8 batteries for ~$9, plus two cheap chargers in the bargain!

I checked out that charger and battery set at Wal Mart this week.

You were right, they're $9 and change - just over $10 with tax. However, the $5 mail in rebate only applies if you also buy a set of Rayovac Hybrid NiMHs. You have a choice of 4 x AA's or 4 x AAA's, each for $9 and change per pack. So you spend just over $20 to save $5, plus postage. There's a limit of two per household. I got the charger and 1 other pack of batteries (which I needed anyway) but I doubt I'll bother making an effort to mail in the rebate.

This charger takes about 8 hours and then switches off. The last charger I bought (for under $20 at Wallly Mart with 4 x AA's included) does 2 or 4 AA or AAA NiMHs in about 90 minutes, then continues to keep them trickle charged until I need them. That one also has plugs for 110V or 12VDC, which can be really useful.

But I'm sure this will help... I guess I can't own too many chargers considering all the batteries I now have.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby MoonshineR DavE » Dec 1, 2007 12:27 am

I bought the Energizer 15 min. charger w/ 4 batteries at Wally World. It sure does save money and headaches from having to buy batteries almost every time I go caving. BTW if anyone does get the 15 min. charger make sure you get the 15 min. batteries as the trickle charge batteries REALLY don't like the faster charger. I won't ever do that.............again.
MoonshineR DavE
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby werewolf » Dec 1, 2007 3:25 am

"...the $5 mail in rebate only applies if you also buy a set of Rayovac Hybrid NiMHs. You have a choice of 4 x AA's or 4 x AAA's, each for $9 and change per pack. So you spend just over $20 to save $5, plus postage. There's a limit of two per household. I got the charger and 1 other pack of batteries (which I needed anyway) but I doubt I'll bother making an effort to mail in the rebate. "

NZ - We're talking about the Rayovac Hybrid batteries. You buy two packs @ $9 and change each, and each pack contains 2 aa's and 2 aaa's and a junk charger (which i can keep as spares, or throw away, since I use a Maha charger). Each pack comes with a $5 rebate coupon, so that's only 4 and change twice = ~$9 for 4 aa's and 4 aaa's and 2 junk chargers. Then deduct tax and the 56 cents postage or whatever it was to send them back all the packaging and crap, and the hassle of reading the microscopic writing on the tiny rebate form etc., and still you get these great batteries really cheap.

Perhaps you picked up the wrong battery packs in the Wal. The packs I'm talking about are the ones with 2 aa's and 2 aaa's and a charger.
werewolf
Prolific Poster

Postby werewolf » Dec 1, 2007 3:30 am

Oh, if you look back on this thread, or was it another thread, you'll see that I did this before a few months ago, and I actually did receive the rebate. This time, clever rascal that I am, I used a different name and address. Bwahaha!
werewolf
Prolific Poster

Postby NZcaver » Dec 1, 2007 12:39 pm

It's the PS32-4BW we're talking about, right? :question:

The tiny print in the rebate thing says:

To receive your $5 rebate back by mail, follow these instructions.

STEP ONE - Purchase any Rayovac Hybrid Charger AND one pack of Rayovac Hybrid batteries.

<snip>

Send:

Original UPC from Hybrid Charger package AND Hybrid battery package as proof of purchase.

<etc>

I read that as purchasing 2 seperate items (1 charger + 1 set of batteries) to qualify for one $5 rebate.
But since they obviously sent you the rebate anyway, good job! :kewl:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby werewolf » Dec 2, 2007 11:07 am

"Purchase any Rayovac Hybrid Charger AND one pack of Rayovac Hybrid batteries"

The "and" wasn't accentuated in the micro-print, was it? Each pack contained batteries and a charger, so that's what I took it to mean. They make this as obnoxious as possible, don't they!? They want all the packaging sent back to them (I left off the clear plastic). The post office dude even told me that there is no such zip code as theirs and consequently he couldn't machine-stamp it. Anyway, I did get the rebate last time, but it's barely worth the trouble. I do love the batteries, though.
werewolf
Prolific Poster

Postby NZcaver » Dec 2, 2007 1:21 pm

werewolf wrote:"Purchase any Rayovac Hybrid Charger AND one pack of Rayovac Hybrid batteries"

The "and" wasn't accentuated in the micro-print, was it?

Actually, it WAS capitalized in the micro print! I guess bigger letters means people can't say they missed the fine print. :laughing:

I agree it's obnoxious - that's pretty much how I feel about most mail-in rebates.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby werewolf » Dec 3, 2007 10:46 am

I agree it's obnoxious - that's pretty much how I feel about most mail-in rebates.

Doesn't everybody?
werewolf
Prolific Poster

Previous

Return to Equipment Forum