2008 Convention

NSS Conventions, regional caving events, local caving events. Please spell out event initials for new members.

Moderator: Moderators

2008 Convention

Postby Komebeaux » Jul 27, 2007 8:15 am

Any word on where it will be? I have seen Texas for 2009 and Vermont for 2010, but cannot find anything for 2008.
Komebeaux
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Danny Cumbo
NSS #: 58430

Postby wendy » Jul 27, 2007 8:44 am

It's in Lake City, Florida. http://www.nss2008.com

They showed the promo video last night at the convention salon. Also the campground won't be at camp weed anymore, they are going to a fairgrounds closer to the sessions (what we were told last night).
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby Squirrel Girl » Nov 26, 2007 2:02 pm

In case anyone hasn't noticed, the FL convention has a nice website:

http://www.nss2008.com/home.html

I like the logo. The ones they've had the last few years have been great, and very detailed. But this is different and it has a cave diver! Yay! But also a vertical caver.

Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby David Grimes » Nov 28, 2007 11:26 pm

Does anyone have an idea of any of the caves they will be visiting at convention?

I know its a long time from now and subject to change but I am trying to get an ideal.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby Herman Miller » Nov 29, 2007 12:35 am

I'd like to know as well as I may be situated in TAG when convention time rolls around :)
Herman Miller NSS# 55273SU BOG Candidate 2010, 2012
Herman Miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: herman miller
NSS #: 55273
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Permian Basin Speleological Society

2008 NSS Convention

Postby tlounsbury3876 » Nov 29, 2007 12:14 pm

Florida? You got to be kidding.......yuck! :doh: Its like having the convention in Kansas only the mosquito's will be far friendlier. Lets have the convention in states with abundant DRY caves.
tlounsbury3876
Infrequent Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Nov 29, 2007 12:51 pm

Here's a small sample of the dry caves you will find in FL. Hardly yucky. http://www.flickr.com/photos/brcfla/
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Re: 2008 NSS Convention

Postby Lost » Nov 29, 2007 4:15 pm

tlounsbury3876 wrote:Florida? You got to be kidding.......yuck! :doh: Its like having the convention in Kansas only the mosquito's will be far friendlier. Lets have the convention in states with abundant DRY caves.
Who needs dry caves. :scuba: Just kidding I will make sure I hit atleast one dry cave while I'm there.
Lost
Prolific Poster

Postby Phil Winkler » Nov 29, 2007 4:36 pm

Scott is correct. There are many dry caves in Florida including Florida Caverns State Park in Marianna and many wild caves around Marianna. Heck, there's even a pit on Milton's Ranch. Milton's #1, I think. Of course, you can also walk into the cave, but, hey, you can rappel if you wish. Not sure if Milton's are open anymore, tho.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Re: 2008 NSS Convention

Postby Squirrel Girl » Nov 29, 2007 6:17 pm

tlounsbury3876 wrote:Florida? You got to be kidding.......yuck! :doh: Its like having the convention in Kansas only the mosquito's will be far friendlier. Lets have the convention in states with abundant DRY caves.
Hey, there have been conventions in Maine and Michigan. I'm sure Florida will be way better, if a lot sweatier.

Thanks for the link, Scott. I may have to go into at least one dry cave myself.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby tlounsbury3876 » Nov 29, 2007 6:41 pm

I am an experienced caver who has been to Florida and yes I did go caving there for 10 days once. The caves were tiny bug and critter infested. I have caved in far better locations. I just felt the Convention committee could stop the " lets have a convention in every state in the union" mentality. Do we have one in Louisiana, Delaware, or how about Kansas. I again say yuck! Florida sucks.
tlounsbury3876
Infrequent Poster

Postby wendy » Nov 29, 2007 6:45 pm

tlounsbury3876 wrote:I am an experienced caver who has been to Florida and yes I did go caving there for 10 days once. The caves were tiny bug and critter infested. I have caved in far better locations. I just felt the Convention committee could stop the " lets have a convention in every state in the union" mentality. Do we have one in Louisiana, Delaware, or how about Kansas. I again say yuck! Florida sucks.

I don't know what caves you went to...but I cave in Florida most of the year and this is not the experience I have with the dry caves here.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Nov 29, 2007 6:56 pm

tlounsbury3876 wrote:I am an experienced caver who has been to Florida and yes I did go caving there for 10 days once. The caves were tiny bug and critter infested. I have caved in far better locations. I just felt the Convention committee could stop the " lets have a convention in every state in the union" mentality. Do we have one in Louisiana, Delaware, or how about Kansas. I again say yuck! Florida sucks.

Not to put a fly in your ointment or anything... but NSS Conventions have a lot more to offer than just being another place for you to go caving.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby wyandottecaver » Nov 29, 2007 7:21 pm

well, being from Indiana I have plenty of dry and wet caves to play in year round. an August convention in florida should be worthwhile if only for the bikini's in camp :P
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Nov 29, 2007 7:28 pm

tlounsbury3876 wrote:I just felt the Convention committee could stop the " lets have a convention in every state in the union" mentality.

Well, that's easy enough to fix. Just get elected to the BOG (who selects the locations) and vote for the places you like. Personally, I look forward to the chance to go caving in some out of the way, different places.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Next

Return to Caver Events