Newbie Needing suggestions

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Newbie Needing suggestions

Postby GhostCat » Nov 27, 2007 8:49 pm

Hi All,
I'm purchasing all my gear so I can go Vertical. I have my Rope and I just ordered my CMI Rack (Aluminum bars).....I'm going to replace the aluminum with SS at a later date.....but here's my question....I'm a Big mo-fo and pushing 300lbs... :tonguecheek:....I realize the Rack and the Rope will hold me just fine but what about a harness???.......I need a Good, Quality Harness that is also comfortable and will fit my 44" waist......any suggestions?.....

Thanks!!
GhostCat
Occasional Poster

Postby JoeyS » Nov 27, 2007 9:10 pm

On Rope 1 sells some nice wide webbed/ padded harnesses, and I think that Gonzo Guano Gear Makes a nice custom harness if you give her your measurements. Basically, the wider the webbing, the more comfortable it is. Add padding and it's even better, albeit more bulky, but that's probably not your main concern as a big guy.
Another factor is the type of climbing system you use. If you are using a frog (sit stand) you are limited to "caving" harnesses (low attachment point) whereas if you will be using a ropewalker, you can use any of the many climbing harnesses or a cave specific harness.

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby wyandottecaver » Nov 27, 2007 9:21 pm

a thing to remember, in my experiance at 200lbs a frog climbing system tends to make you slightly top heavy unless you use perfect form which usually isn't the case for me after a tiring trip. I use a Petzl rock climbing harness with a higher attachment and a more comfy fit. It is not as effecient as a lower attachment point in caving harnesses, resulting in smaller "steps" but I find it much easier to keep myself upright while resting.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Nov 27, 2007 9:32 pm

the OR1 Goliath (no pun intended!) is probably the most comfortable frog harness available, it has wide leg straps and padding that fits between your body and the waist webbing.

the L size is specified for 35"-47" waists.
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby GhostCat » Nov 27, 2007 11:34 pm

Great info....but one more question....what do you mean by a Higher attachment point compared to a lower attachment point?.....I realize this is where your rack attaches to the harness but what is considered a high attachment point?
GhostCat
Occasional Poster

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Nov 28, 2007 12:40 am

GhostCat wrote:Great info....but one more question....what do you mean by a Higher attachment point compared to a lower attachment point?.....I realize this is where your rack attaches to the harness but what is considered a high attachment point?

A high attachment point will be around your waist height like a climbing harness would offer this can help stop you tipping over backwards if your top heavy. Ascending particularly with a frog setup is more efficient with a low attachment point because you are able to progress more up the rope with each sit stand cycle. The down side is the low attachment point can mean you may tip backwards or it is harder to pull your upper body towards the rope as is needed for good ascending technique. A low attachment point is about your hips or slightly lower.

Another item that might help you if you think this might be an issue and you use a ropewalker is to look at chest rollers and chest harnesses which can help hold your upper body close to the rope. A Chest roller will not really work with a frog as it will severly limit the stroke of each sit stand movement.

My opinion is if you can use a frog do so because it is the most versatile and lightest(apart from knots) ascending system out there, if a frog isn't working for you then look at ropewalker or Mitchell systems. The hardware for a frog overlaps significantly with the other systems so you won't be wasting money.
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby adleedy » Nov 28, 2007 7:10 am

xcathodex wrote:the OR1 Goliath (no pun intended!) is probably the most comfortable frog harness available, it has wide leg straps and padding that fits between your body and the waist webbing.

This harness is alot more comfortable than my pmi pit viper.
Alan D. Leedy

E.R.V.K.E.T Life Member

SAVE CAVE RIVERS http://WWW.8RIVERSSAFEDEVELOPMENT.COM
adleedy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: alan dwayne leedy
NSS #: 56663
Primary Grotto Affiliation: charleston grotto + ERVKET

Postby GhostCat » Nov 28, 2007 11:45 pm

So just to make sure before I buy.....will this harness work for a 280 lb man???......click here:

Black Diamond Momentum AL Climbing Harness
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_sg/103-6223243-4560631?url=search-alias%3Dsporting&field-keywords=Black+Diamond+Momentum+AL+Climbing+Harness&x=24&y=18

And is this considered a high point of attachment?

Thank you all for your input!!!!
GhostCat
Occasional Poster

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Nov 29, 2007 12:03 am

yes, that's a high point of attachment. to be frank, a good frog harness will put your harness maillon right at your pubic bone when it's not under load (er, no pun intended).

can't speak for the size issue. but i do think you'd be better suited with a frog harness, often called a "caving harness".
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby David Grimes » Nov 29, 2007 12:11 am

The waist on that particular model only goes to 38" for the extra large I'm not sure what size you need but most Black Diamond harnesses only go to 38" heres the link to the sizing and use chart.
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/gear/detail/momentum_al_detail.php#usage

I am not sure if its a high point or low I personally have a Black Diamond Bod seat harness and have no trouble with it in a frog system.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby GhostCat » Nov 29, 2007 12:48 am

CRAP!!!.......I kinda had my heart set on that one.....I guess I need to lose some frikken weight......so now that leaves me with the High-dollar Petzl canyon ($119)....but the waist goes up to a 47 and I need a 44"....
I'm still looking......I hope to make my purchase by this friday.
GhostCat
Occasional Poster

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Nov 29, 2007 1:09 am

GhostCat wrote:CRAP!!!.......I kinda had my heart set on that one.....I guess I need to lose some frikken weight......so now that leaves me with the High-dollar Petzl canyon ($119)....but the waist goes up to a 47 and I need a 44"....
I'm still looking......I hope to make my purchase by this friday.

I'm not sure what your caves are like or what caves your looking to do but some climbing style harnesses won't be the best in caves. Often these have padding which soaks up water and is suseptable to abrasion, which is a big issue for caving harnesses.

Some of the more simple climbing harnesses are probably OK, the Petzl Canyon looks OK too. Watch out for where the harness could wear around the leg loops and around the waist particularly near the buckles because these protrude and get rubbed against rock. For this reason some caving harnesses have thier leg buckles rotated towards the inside leg and webbing strips to protect the waist buckle area.

I may not be possible to get all of these things in a harness you like but they are worth considering
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby GhostCat » Nov 29, 2007 6:18 pm

ok, what about this one???...........

http://www.onrope1.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=415&parent=8

or this one:
http://www.onrope1.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=35&parent=50

sorry I keep buggin yall but I'm wanting to make my purchase tomorrow (Friday)

Thanks,
GC
Last edited by GhostCat on Nov 29, 2007 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GhostCat
Occasional Poster

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Nov 29, 2007 6:40 pm

GhostCat wrote:ok, what about this one???...........

http://www.onrope1.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=415&parent=8

The wide webbing on the legs looks nice, unfortunately none of the On Rope harnesses have put the leg buckles on the inside leg (even thier caving harnesses), but it's not crucial so go with what you think is best for you.

What sort of ascending system are you thinking of using? The belay loops can be problematic for mounting a chest ascender, as the chest ascender will need to sit higher and this is a problem for a frog.

Caving harnesses aren't the top priority for gear manufacturers I guess so you may not find something exactly right.
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby David Grimes » Nov 30, 2007 3:25 am

I think the buckles on the second one look a little bulky and may be uncomfortable when crawling but I have never used that harness so I can't say for sure but the first one looks better to me.

I also agree if your going to use a frog system you should consider all of the equipment your planning on purchasing to find which ones will work best together.

I would recommend going with some experienced vertical cavers and see what equipment they are using and see what setup will work best for you.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Next

Return to Equipment Forum