Rechargeable batteries

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Rechargeable batteries

Postby Patrick Hoofer » Nov 18, 2007 1:39 pm

Hi all,

I had a conversation in Kentucky about the pros and cons of different rechargeable batteries, and was told to check the caves.org forums for the best info. Well, I can't find much in the forums on the topic.

I seem to recall there being a type of battery that has the most "recharges", but that you need to recharge right before using it (it drains battery if it is sitting around).

Can anyone tell me which this is? I gave up on rechargeables years ago because they always corroded (maybe from wetness), but now I only want to use fully charged batteries in a cave and so I have been going through a lot of cheap "disposable" batteries.

Thanks,
Patrick
Patrick Hoofer
Infrequent Poster

Postby Wayne Harrison » Nov 18, 2007 1:51 pm

Patrick,

Did you see these earlier discussion in this section?

http://forums.caves.org/viewtopic.php?t=1985

http://forums.caves.org/viewtopic.php?t=476&
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Thanks!

Postby Patrick Hoofer » Nov 18, 2007 1:55 pm

No, I hadn't! Thanks for tip.

I hope you're still doing well, and that you remember me from Roppel :)

Patrick
Patrick Hoofer
Infrequent Poster

Postby NZcaver » Nov 19, 2007 10:13 pm

Patrick - try hybrid NiMH batteries.

They come ready to go, just like alkalines. You can apparently store them unopened for years, and only suffer minimal self-discharge. More importantly (for me), you can recharge them with your regular NiMH charger, throw them in your bag for a month, and then pull them out for use. No significant loss of charge - great!

Rayovac now make some, which you can find at Wal Mart and other regular retailers. They cost about $9 for 4 AAs. I got a couple of sets for use with my cameras a few months back, and they've been working out very well.
Last edited by NZcaver on Nov 21, 2007 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

batteries

Postby reeffish1073 » Nov 20, 2007 10:33 pm

ive been useing the energizer rechargeable hyrdide AAA's and im verry pleased! the price is about the same as above $9 or so for four of them.

john
reeffish1073
Prolific Poster

Name: john christie
NSS #: 58065
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse grotto

Postby incavenow » Nov 21, 2007 6:00 pm

Another good place for info on batteries, lights, etc is Candlepower Forum. I've found alot of useful information there.
incavenow
Prolific Poster

Name: Jeff Hudson
NSS #: 38762

Postby hank moon » Nov 21, 2007 9:50 pm

NZcaver wrote:Patrick - try hybrid NiMH batteries.

They come ready to go, just like alkalines. You can apparently store them unopened for years, and only suffer minimal self-discharge.

90% plus of Charged Capacity retained after 6 months, 85% Capacity after 12 months, according to Sanyo

http://www.eneloop.info/218.html

At this point, it might be wise to use regular NiMH in combo with the low-discharge variety: reg. for primary with low-discharge as backups (the low-discharge NiMH have lower capacity than regular).

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby werewolf » Nov 22, 2007 10:04 am

werewolf
Prolific Poster

Postby werewolf » Nov 25, 2007 8:42 pm

I just noticed that Walmart still has a $5 rebate offer on 4 of these great batteries, 2 aa's and 2 aaa's for $9 and change - so you buy two packs and you get 8 batteries for ~$9, plus two cheap chargers in the bargain!
werewolf
Prolific Poster

Postby NZcaver » Nov 26, 2007 3:50 am

werewolf wrote:I just noticed that Walmart still has a $5 rebate offer on 4 of these great batteries, 2 aa's and 2 aaa's for $9 and change - so you buy two packs and you get 8 batteries for ~$9, plus two cheap chargers in the bargain!

Hybrid batteries, right? Do you have a link to that?

Looking at their website, all I could find was a Kodak charger with 4 2100 AA hybrid NiMHs for $12.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby werewolf » Nov 26, 2007 10:50 pm

NZcaver wrote:
werewolf wrote:I just noticed that Walmart still has a $5 rebate offer on 4 of these great batteries, 2 aa's and 2 aaa's for $9 and change - so you buy two packs and you get 8 batteries for ~$9, plus two cheap chargers in the bargain!

Hybrid batteries, right? Do you have a link to that?

Looking at their website, all I could find was a Kodak charger with 4 2100 AA hybrid NiMHs for $12.

Yes, the same Rayovac hybrid batteries we've been talking about on this thread. I saw it in the store, not online. I don't think those Kodak bat's are hybrids - and they cost three times as much!
werewolf
Prolific Poster

Postby werewolf » Nov 26, 2007 10:58 pm

werewolf
Prolific Poster

Postby NZcaver » Nov 27, 2007 12:05 am

Good review. Nice the know the figures on the batteries are actually pretty accurate.

Yeah, I wondered about those Kodak batteries. I think they are hybrid batteries, because they say they're pre-charged NiMHs - which is what hybrids are. Oh well, I don't really need another charger anyway. Just more batteries! Many of my older NiMHs are not holding their charge like they used to. The Energizer 2300's and 2500's aren't too bad, but I think all my future purchases will be hybrids.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby werewolf » Nov 27, 2007 12:18 pm

all my future purchases will be hybrids.

Same here. I need to go back and read the fine print on the Ray. bat's at the Walmart. I think I'll buy some more, but I don't want them to say that I already used up my 2 per household rebate offer. This should be a new offer by now, though. I've been using them in everything.
werewolf
Prolific Poster

Lithium Ions

Postby emesine » Nov 27, 2007 1:12 pm

What about Lithium Ion packs? They higher in voltage, higher in energy density, they are easy to charge, and they are only about 30% more expensive (in terms of $/watt-hour) than other technologies. I have a lithium ion pack I put together over 5 years ago, and it still has about 70% of its amp-hours. You can buy packs, single batteries and chargers from:

http://www.batteryspace.com/

Andrew DuBois
emesine
Infrequent Poster

Next

Return to Equipment Forum