Need a cheap helmet

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Need a cheap helmet

Postby KeyserSoze » Nov 7, 2007 11:36 pm

I have been looking online and the cheapest helmet I can find is $50. I already have a good head lamp, so I don't need a helmet that includes one. Are there any helmets that I can use for caving that would be cheaper to buy? Maybe in the 15 - 25 dollar range.
KeyserSoze
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 61069
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Postby David Grimes » Nov 7, 2007 11:40 pm

You can get extreme sports helmets in that price range. They are not the exact same as a climbing helmet they have padding all around the head but at least your head would be protected. They are available everywhere from walmart to target. Headlamps are hard to use with them also without some slight modification. So if you could use it for now and maybe later get an actual climbing helmet I don't see the harm in it at least your heads safe.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby Komebeaux » Nov 8, 2007 8:30 am

MSA VGuard or MSA Comfo-Cap.
Komebeaux
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Danny Cumbo
NSS #: 58430

Postby NZcaver » Nov 8, 2007 1:30 pm

How about something like this?

This is the same type of helmet I've caved with for years. Our grotto also has a bunch of these for loaners.

[Edit - this particular item (the HB Olympus helmet) is no longer commonly available in the US. However I still see them out there from time to time, even as low as $30 for new ones - if you can find them. They're great helmets, and originally retailed for about $60 I think.]
Last edited by NZcaver on Nov 12, 2007 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Nov 8, 2007 7:11 pm

Cheapest helmets that I've used/bought for caving (eons ago) cost me anywhere between .25 to .50 cents at a thrift store. Construction hard-hats with a chin-strap added on at home using those plastic buckles and some thin webbing.

Going cheap on a brain bucket isn't always the best idea... I mean how much value do you put on your grey matter will help determine the cost, no?
Just a thought.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby MessedUpMike » Nov 8, 2007 8:10 pm

You can get "good" construction hardhats from Home Depot for about $5-10. The massive leaps hardhats have made in comfort and wear ability in the past 10 year make it worth getting an updated one.

Realistically though your helmet is on of the biggest expenses you'll have in this hobby, and one you'll use constantly. Spend a little extra cash and get a good helmet. If you're really stuck on your 50.00 figure Amazon.com has a bunch of helmets in that price range, or for a few dollars more you can get something that will last you as long as you can stand it.
Indecision is the key to flexibility
MessedUpMike
Infrequent Poster

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Nov 8, 2007 11:19 pm

Are there any helmets that I can use for caving that would be cheaper to buy?

no no no no no no no

there are things you bargain shop for, and there are things you don't bargain shop for. and a helmet is one of those things. you NEED a helmet with a 4 point chin strap with a good suspension system.

you may never have a rock fall on your dome, and you may never have a fall where you need your head protected on the way down. but you're going to dink and doink your noggin here and there, you're going to accidentally stand up in a 5' tall passage, and you want a good helmet strapped on tight.

THAT SAID, you can get good deals on helmets here and there. most cavers (including myself) seem to use the Petzl Ecrin Roc, which is between $75 and $90, but starting out i got a used Camp High Star on eBay for $25 shipped and that was a good quality helmet.

just make sure you're making a purchase with your melon in mind, not your wallet.
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby FiddleCaver » Nov 9, 2007 12:22 am

OK, I'd look at some army surplus type places. My first helmet was UIAA approved with a 4 point harness and a really good suspension, and only cost $20. Sure, it wasn't near as comfortable as my ecrin roc, but that's what you expect from a climbing helmet made in the 60's.
Allen NSS#57424
FiddleCaver
Prolific Poster

Postby Teresa » Nov 9, 2007 10:26 am

MSA Comfo-Cap or V-Gard (for smaller heads)

http://www.forestrysuppliers.com
http://www.benmeadows.com

Get the one with the lamp bracket designed and certified for mining.

Recommended only for horizontal caving/caving with your feet on the floor. If you're on rope, ask for a Christmas present of an expensive one.

I've never had anything else, cause I don't do rope.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby speloman » Nov 10, 2007 10:56 pm

$50.00 I don't think is that bad of a price when it come to protecting the ole nogger. If you do horizontal caving would say the MSA Construction hardhats are good with a chin strap. For vertical I would recomend a good UIAA aproved climbing helmet with 4 point strap. They are up there in the 50's and up in prices. There are cheaper ones out ther but remember you get what you pay for. But the one NZCAVER posted looks like a really nice helmet.
Justin Gleason 48217RE
:looking: If you can't grow it, I mine it.
speloman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Justin Gleason
NSS #: 48217RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Nevada Grotto

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Nov 12, 2007 1:03 pm

go to karst sports and buy the ecrin roc on sale for $60. i think they offer free shipping at that price too, and most of us always try to support the caving vendors so they don't go away and leave us stuck making our own crap.

but i paid $90 for my ecrin roc and i hadn't seen it below karst sports' lowest-available price of $76 for months. most places will want $89.

the ecrin roc is the closest thing to a general consensus you'll find amongst cavers regarding helmets. you won't be disappointed.
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Komebeaux » Nov 12, 2007 3:56 pm

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it or not, but the MSA Comfo Cap or MSA VGuard are good.
Komebeaux
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby adleedy » Nov 12, 2007 8:23 pm

Komebeaux wrote:I don't know if anyone has mentioned it or not, but the MSA Comfo Cap or MSA VGuard are good.

you mentioned it earlier
Alan D. Leedy

E.R.V.K.E.T Life Member

SAVE CAVE RIVERS http://WWW.8RIVERSSAFEDEVELOPMENT.COM
adleedy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: alan dwayne leedy
NSS #: 56663
Primary Grotto Affiliation: charleston grotto + ERVKET

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Nov 12, 2007 10:41 pm

adleedy wrote:
Komebeaux wrote:I don't know if anyone has mentioned it or not, but the MSA Comfo Cap or MSA VGuard are good.

you mentioned it earlier

hahahahaha you're right! :rofl:
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Komebeaux » Nov 13, 2007 8:23 am

adleedy wrote:

you mentioned it earlier

My humor is lost on you.....
Komebeaux
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to Equipment Forum