Backup Light

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Backup Light

Postby ciarán » Nov 4, 2007 12:17 pm

Thinking of getting a princton tech as a backup light (I've been offered a good deal on one) just wondering what other people are using. I'm using a Scurion as my primary light.
ciarán
Infrequent Poster

Postby TAGCaver » Nov 4, 2007 1:28 pm

there is a 30 page discussion going on about the princeton tec, you should check it out. I just bought one and took it out yesterday for the first time, and for some reason the LED's wont work, but the power indicator still works? However, i use a petzl myo Xenon halogen as a backup. It works great, but it drains batteries extremely fast (4 hours)

Chris
TAGCaver
Occasional Poster

Name: Chris
NSS #: 59047
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Southport Chronic Cavers

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Nov 4, 2007 10:10 pm

PT's stuff is decent, just don't get it near water. with a main light as nice as the scurion, really any petzl or PT backup light will do just fine.
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Re: Backup Light

Postby Steven Johnson » Nov 4, 2007 10:17 pm

ciarán wrote:Thinking of getting a princton tech as a backup light (I've been offered a good deal on one) just wondering what other people are using. I'm using a Scurion as my primary light.

I've been using a PT Quad as a backup light for a couple of years now and it's worked flawlessly. Haven't exposed it to enough water to test the waterproofness.
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 49562
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Diablo Grotto

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Nov 4, 2007 10:17 pm

Which Princeton Tec light are you thinking of using as a backup?
what TAGCaver and xcathodex are refering to is the Apex which has waterproofing issues (basically it isn't waterproof but it's waterproof qualities can be improved in various ways but still not 100% reliable I think) but this doesn't neccisarily apply to all Princeton Tec headlamps, it seems some of thier waterproof torches have quite a good reputation.
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby Cheryl Jones » Nov 4, 2007 11:20 pm

Whatever, just remember that your backup becomes your main light source when your main source dies, so needs to fulfill your basic requirements for a main light. :exploring:

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby Steven Johnson » Nov 5, 2007 12:46 am

Cheryl Jones wrote:Whatever, just remember that your backup becomes your main light source when your main source dies, so needs to fulfill your basic requirements for a main light.

I've had to use my backup on multiple occasions, including on-rope. The PT Quad is surprisingly usable as a legit backup light.
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ciarán » Nov 5, 2007 2:27 pm

thanks for the replys, the one I'm referring to is the EOS, I can get it for 25 pounds which i think is around fifty dollars
ciarán
Infrequent Poster

Postby ciarán » Nov 5, 2007 2:31 pm

ah....I've just seen it on a few American sites for $40. They are alot more expensive in the UK......
ciarán
Infrequent Poster

Postby NZcaver » Nov 5, 2007 2:38 pm

ciarán wrote:thanks for the replys, the one I'm referring to is the EOS, I can get it for 25 pounds which i think is around fifty dollars

The EOS is a nice little back up light - mine has lasted well over the last few years. I'd love to have a version with a more efficient LED and 2xAAs instead of 3xAAAs, but otherwise I've no real complaints.

PT still makes these, and you can usually find them a little cheaper than their original retail price. Here you can get one for $33 US. They do ship international, but unfortunately it will cost you a whopping $20 extra.

FYI - If you know someone in the US, that store will ship items to the middle 48 states for free. Then if you don't need the packaging, the headlamp itself should cost less than $4 US to mail over to you in Ireland. But if you can find a better deal locally, take it!
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Komebeaux » Nov 5, 2007 3:28 pm

I use an apex as my primary and carry a Black Diamond Gemini as my backup.
Komebeaux
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Danny Cumbo
NSS #: 58430

Postby wyandottecaver » Nov 5, 2007 7:13 pm

I use PT lights exclusively and can say that the APEX is the exception. nearly all their other lights perform great. The Apex is great when it works, which is rarely. I use a Corona as a primary and matrix 2 (no longer available) as a backup. Both have been on over 50 trips many very wet. I have completely submerged both lights many times. I like the EOS (see chris anderson Swago picture) as a backup as well.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Steven Johnson » Nov 6, 2007 1:07 am

wyandottecaver wrote:I use PT lights exclusively and can say that the APEX is the exception. nearly all their other lights perform great.

I've been using a PT Apex as my primary, with a PT Quad as backup, for a couple of years now. Until just two weeks ago I'd never had any problem with either (but I rarely do caving that involves much water on the helmet). However, recently on a 8hour trip I had several (3? 4?) occasions where I bumped the Apex (or maybe my helmet) on a protusion and it turned itself off... after 10-15 seconds it would let itself restart but it was rather disturbing. On the other hand, the Apex has seen hard use and is getting beat up, and as we all know, caving is pretty hard on equipment that's *designed* for caving.

But back on topic (backups)... my PT Quad has been even more reliable than my Apex, and as an added bonus, I can use it as a post-caving campsite light :-)
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Equipment Forum