newbie needs coverall info

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

newbie needs coverall info

Postby briwill » Nov 3, 2007 8:06 pm

I am just getting equipment on a very limited budget. I have been looking on ebay for bargains. I ran across some flight suits made of a material called nomex which is supposed to be water resistant. Is anyone familiar with this who can let me know if it is or is not good for caving?

Thanks!!!
briwill
Infrequent Poster

Postby MessedUpMike » Nov 3, 2007 8:40 pm

If Nomex has any water resistance it's not much. Nomex is better known for it's heat resistant properties, which is why it's used in flight suits and sometimes still in firefighting gear. You can get jumpsuits for around 40.00 from lots of locations, WalMart and most army surplus carries coming immediately to mind. If you find any send me a PM and I'll see what I can dig up. they're not terribly moisture resistant, but I'm sure some waterproofing spray will help that a little.
Indecision is the key to flexibility
MessedUpMike
Infrequent Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Nov 3, 2007 8:52 pm

not sure a nomex suit would be that great for caving. The nomex I've worn was hot and not much better than cotton for sturdiness. Mike is correct that nomex is noted for not sustaining a flame. It does burn under a direct flame, but once you take away the fire the cloth wont burn on its own. better than spandex though :) if your patient you can find cave coveralls for $40-50 on ebay. If your in a hurry hit the goodwill or army surplus stores.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Coveralls

Postby pacaver » Nov 3, 2007 10:44 pm

To extend the life of your coveralls, especially if you go with the polyester/cotton blends that are common on non-caving coveralls, use plumbers goop and thin it out with toluene or xylene so it's like a light syrup, then coat the knees, elbows and butt. You may want to use mutiple coats for more reinforcement. The fumes are fairly toxic so be sure you're doing this outside or in a well ventilated area.
Kevin Dunleavy
York Grotto
MAKC
SCCI
NSS
pacaver
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 47644

Postby briwill » Nov 4, 2007 5:10 pm

Thanks for the info! You saved me from wasting money. I do overheat easily. Any suggestions on the best material for me?
briwill
Infrequent Poster

Re: Coveralls

Postby adleedy » Nov 4, 2007 6:41 pm

pacaver wrote:To extend the life of your coveralls, especially if you go with the polyester/cotton blends that are common on non-caving coveralls, use plumbers goop and thin it out with toluene or xylene so it's like a light syrup, then coat the knees, elbows and butt. You may want to use mutiple coats for more reinforcement. The fumes are fairly toxic so be sure you're doing this outside or in a well ventilated area.

aquaseal works good too!

http://technology.darkfrontier.us/index.shtml
Alan D. Leedy

E.R.V.K.E.T Life Member

SAVE CAVE RIVERS http://WWW.8RIVERSSAFEDEVELOPMENT.COM
adleedy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: alan dwayne leedy
NSS #: 56663
Primary Grotto Affiliation: charleston grotto + ERVKET

Postby wendy » Nov 4, 2007 6:47 pm

briwill wrote:Thanks for the info! You saved me from wasting money. I do overheat easily. Any suggestions on the best material for me?

Where are you located? If we know what caves you are visiting and the temps we might be able to help ya better. I caved for almost 5 years without a coveralls, so you may not need any right off the bat.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby briwill » Nov 4, 2007 7:21 pm

wendy wrote:Where are you located? If we know what caves you are visiting and the temps we might be able to help ya better. I caved for almost 5 years without a coveralls, so you may not need any right off the bat.

I am in Southeast Missouri. I have yet to go into any caves here, but I understand most are quite wet (lots and lots of springs here). I understand most caves to be in the fifties or so. If I could get by without any equipment on the big list I'm looking at that would be... :kewl: .
briwill
Infrequent Poster

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Nov 4, 2007 10:09 pm

yeah, get a good helmet and a worthy light and then you can buy other stuff at your convenience.

a lot of the older guys don't have the fancy nylon coveralls. just make sure you have something good for a base layer to keep you warm and dry. i just wear the cheap-o walmart brand underarmor knockoffs.

i cave with a guy who has been caving for 30 years with long sleeve lycra-spandex shirt and long-legged lycra spandex tights, and he just wears shorts and a t-shirt over that along with his knee pads. nothing at all wrong with it.

(don't get me wrong, i love my coveralls and can't imagine caving without them - but it's really a matter of personal preference).
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby CaveGimp » Nov 5, 2007 3:21 pm

The great thing about caving is its fairly cheap to get into and to continue doing for many years. Like xcathodex said, get a good helmet and light. Then cave a few times and see what others are using and what you like. Coveralls are nice, but they have draw backs. Folks in your local grotto should be able to give you their opinion and even places to look for gear. For warmth, remember to stay away from cotton as the base layer. Other than that, trial and error.
CaveGimp
Frequent Poster

Name: Glenn Tooley
NSS #: 54570
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Arizona Grotto

Return to Equipment Forum