Cave Maps

NSS News, other caving publications, and books.

Moderator: Moderators

Cave Maps

Postby CaveJunkie » Dec 10, 2005 1:46 pm

Is there a particular site that archives cave maps? I am especially looking for Espey Cave, Cannon County, TN... I drew out my own map back in my college days but I am looking for a professionally surveyed map to: 1. display next to my amateur drawing in a frame, 2. bring along next time I go to the cave.

I'm sure someone at the Central Basin Grotto would have a map but I figured I would try here first and if no luck then I will contact them....

Thanks!
CaveJunkie
Frequent Poster

Name: James Woulfe
NSS #: 56791

Postby itabot » Dec 10, 2005 6:03 pm

You should have checked with the grotto! :) That would be one option. Many cavers consider it an art to draw up a map of a recently surveyed cave. These maps are generally sold at grotto meetings for a small price.

Another option would be to check the NSS library. I'm sure there are many different guide books or other publications for your area there. Hope that helps!
itabot
Frequent Poster

TCS

Postby CaverScott » Dec 11, 2005 8:53 am

The Tennessee Cave Survey is the best source of maps for Tennessee Caves.

The Tennessee Cave Survey, Inc. (TCS) is an Internal Organization of the National Speleological Society (NSS). TCS members are volunteers who are dedicated to the discovery, exploration, survey and mapping of the caves in Tennessee. Tennessee Cave Survey goals are to systematically collect, organize and maintain information concerning the caves in Tennessee. The TCS strongly encourages and promotes the protection of the caves in Tennessee from significant adverse environmental impact, consistent with reasonable access for caver exploration and study. The TCS discourages widespread dissemination of sensitive cave information. Tennessee Cave Survey considers the effort toward more protective legislation for caves a more desirable approach to cave conservation than the release of sensitive cave locations and TCS data en mass to any person, outdoors group, government agencies, state agencies, private or non-profit organizations.

Our volunteers, both Tennessee cavers and out-of-state cavers add to the knowledge of speleology (the study of caves) through their Tennessee cave mapping and survey efforts. Since Tennessee Cave Surveys' inception over 8,800 caves have been added to our database. This might explain why the Tennessee Cave Survey is often referred to as the Southeastern Leader in cave survey. The significance of the TCS database is related to the information that may be contributed to the Tennessee Cave Survey files by cavers who actively record and choose to share their Tennessee cave survey / cave mapping data and information with the Tennessee Cave Survey.

Through exploration cavers often are able to gain more knowledge and data concerning the caves in Tennessee.

Here is some information on how to join:

http://webwhisper.com/tcs/default.html
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Re: Cave Maps

Postby Lynn » Dec 11, 2005 6:53 pm

CaveJunkie wrote:Is there a particular site that archives cave maps? I am especially looking for Espey Cave, Cannon County, TN... I drew out my own map back in my college days but I am looking for a professionally surveyed map to: 1. display next to my amateur drawing in a frame, 2. bring along next time I go to the cave.

I'm sure someone at the Central Basin Grotto would have a map but I figured I would try here first and if no luck then I will contact them....
Thanks!

HR3 surveyed/mapped Espey Cave but at this time the map is still a work in progress. However I believe we did turn in a line plot of the cave to the Tennessee Cave Survey.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/cavers CAVERS, CAVES & CAVING PHOTOS
Lynn
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 34627LF

Postby George Dasher » Dec 12, 2005 4:07 pm

Don't forget the Cave Files.
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Postby CaveJunkie » Dec 12, 2005 11:42 pm

HR3 surveyed/mapped Espey Cave but at this time the map is still a work in progress. However I believe we did turn in a line plot of the cave to the Tennessee Cave Survey.

Any idea when that survey will be completed? Did HR3 conduct the survey in the early 90's? Is this a new survey?
CaveJunkie
Frequent Poster

Postby Lynn » Dec 13, 2005 8:25 am

CaveJunkie wrote: Any idea when that survey will be completed? Did HR3 conduct the survey in the early 90's? Is this a new survey?

The HR3 survey was completed in the 90's and that map is still in the "draft" process.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/cavers CAVERS, CAVES & CAVING PHOTOS
Lynn
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 34627LF

Postby CaveJunkie » Jan 31, 2008 12:36 pm

Lynn Roebuck wrote:
CaveJunkie wrote:Is there a particular site that archives cave maps? I am especially looking for Espey Cave, Cannon County, TN... I drew out my own map back in my college days but I am looking for a professionally surveyed map to: 1. display next to my amateur drawing in a frame, 2. bring along next time I go to the cave.

Thanks!

Any update on that, Lynn?
CaveJunkie
Frequent Poster

Return to Publications